Coral Vue Hydros

Islandoftiki's Mantis/Pest Tank Pico Contest Winner!

Islandoftiki

Islandoftiki

How are the little green nems from Mars doing?

The little green nems are doing well. I still can't quite ID them exactly. One of the wandered off and I couldn't find it, but it came back and is hanging out about 2 inches from the other one.

• Like 1

The little green nems are doing well. I still can't quite ID them exactly. One of the wandered off and I couldn't find it, but it came back and is hanging out about 2 inches from the other one.

LOL Yep you would have had four except that two of them did just that and took a walk about! :lol:

It is so cute that it came back to be with its twin. :wub:

They will eat you out of house and home too!

I have a ton of those brittle stars in my tank, but I've never seen them do that. Though, a few of them have wandered about lately out in the open. Maybe they're going to do that, too? If they do, I'll try to get a video, too! Awesome tank, as always.

Mr. Microscope

Holy cow! That video is freakin' amazing! I seem to have a population of micro brittlestars that breed, but I've never seen anything like this. Well done and kudos to you for catching it on video for the rest of us to see. :)

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
albertthiel

New addition tonight!

Vortech MP10!

892FB948.jpg

Cha-Ching!

wow an MP-10 in that small tank ... just noticed now as I was looking at your thread again ... is that not a bit too powerfull or are you running it with a controller to lower its output, and are you using just one mode, or alternating the modes ...

Nice ... was going to get one for my 20 but I have 3 other PH's in there already + plus output from the HOB filter and output from the HOB skimmer so flow is already quite strong .. if I were to use an MP10 I would have to remove some of the other PH's for sure ... may still do that though .. Those MP-10 are great PH's ... not cheap but I guess one gets what one pays for ...

Have you had any problems with yours ? Thanks

P.S. following your posts on the FB Nano-Reef Aquariums Group as you probably notices :)

Islandoftiki

wow an MP-10 in that small tank ... just noticed now as I was looking at your thread again ... is that not a bit too powerfull or are you running it with a controller to lower its output, and are you using just one mode, or alternating the modes ...

Hehe, gotcha! That was just a little joke that I explained later in the thread. The MP10 would be strong enough to keep the sand bed fully suspended in the water column if that bad boy was actually running in there. It would be like trying to keep a reef tank in a working blender.

That MP10 in the picture is actually from my 10 gallon.

• 2 weeks later...
Islandoftiki

I'll post this in here, too, since it actually happened in this tank...

Somehow, I manage to catch all of the really odd and special events in my tanks on video. For example, I caught my cleaner shrimp giving birth, and my micro brittle stars spawning.

As luck would have it, I was walking past the 2 gallon pest tank yesterday and noticed one of the black mithrax crabs I put in there from the 7 gallon pest crab tank was up at the front of the tank and acting weird.

Check out what happened!

• Like 9

I'll post this in here, too, since it actually happened in this tank...

Somehow, I manage to catch all of the really odd and special events in my tanks on video. For example, I caught my cleaner shrimp giving birth, and my micro brittle stars spawning.

As luck would have it, I was walking past the 2 gallon pest tank yesterday and noticed one of the black mithrax crabs I put in there from the 7 gallon pest crab tank was up at the front of the tank and acting weird.

Check out what happened!

That is so cool.

I had a massive urge to dump a bucket of kalk into your tank......then it became so beautiful i might actually cry if i did.

Awesome tank! Thanks for the link

• Like 1
Chew_Magna

Yay! I thought they might do it upside down like tarantulas do.

In all the time I kept T's I never actually caught one of them molt. Found one minutes after once, but never in the process.

FlowerMama

Dang. Your videos would make Nova or Nat'l Geographic proud. The spawning video? wow, it looks almost painful and very draining when they do that. thanks for sharing those- very impressed. I would've thought it would've taken much longer to get out of that old shell.

• Like 1
Islandoftiki

Where did you get a black mithrax crab? I've had issues with emeralds but I've wanted to try red or black.

A local importer gives me all of their unwanted hitchhikers. I never know what I'm going to get. Kinda fun.

Chew_Magna

A local importer gives me all of their unwanted hitchhikers. I never know what I'm going to get. Kinda fun.

Lucky you. Find me my own personal importer. :D

• 3 months later...
Islandoftiki

Hey gang!

Just thought you'd like an update. The pest tank is still up and running and doing great. The pest crabs have been busy re-scaping the tank on a regular basis. Those crabs are really strong and more than happy to move anything and everything. They're also really good a fragging the xenia. The one stalk of pulsing xenia is in about 5 pieces throughout the tank now. When I have some extra time, I'll make a new video of the tank.

As you can see, it's still a thing of beauty.

642512ff-3336-4a07-8bca-fb9980fd870e_zps

• Like 8

Not too shabby at all. You know at first when I was just starting to get into nano reef I saw this tank and said that's an awesome pico I want one just like that...and then I realized it was all "pests". And now I want one again. Lol I was thinking of pestifying my mantis tank...but I don't want to cover the coral skeletons. Maybe a third sw tank is in the near future...

• 4 weeks later...

You bet! The summer camping season is winding down here in Oregon and I'll have more time to do updates. The pest tank is doing great. The pest crabs have all found their favorite spots to hang out. They love to tear the xenia apart from time to time, so bits of xenia end up everywhere. It's slowly becoming a xenia dominated tank due to their antics. I'll have to do a little inventory and see what all has survived and what has flourished.

Speaking of camping, check out this large lichen I found while camping this weekend. Tell me that does look like a plating montipora.

3A427C3F-orig_zpsc8f3ede7.jpg

• Like 2