Top Shelf Aquatics

The Water Box

JamesHL88

james, are u still running the ps160? if you are there are a few threads on rc about modding it. I just broke off the return tube that is inside the body of the 160. (the big tube inside the main body). and a mesh wheel mod too. josh

Yeah im using the 160, no mods yet. I just upgraded from a ps75. I loved that thing. It skimmed like a beast completely stock. The 160 is a little harder to dial in for me. Ill look into those mods. Whats tje purpose of removing that tube? Because i noticed that the ps 75 didnt have that to begin with.

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks spirofucci :)

I just did a mesh mod and removed that tube inside tue ps160. The reaction chamber is completely milked out and much less bubbles are comming out the return than before. So ill definately see some increased performance!

Thanks kat. I was mostly wondering about the amount of gfo. I didnt want to shock my system by starting off with too much. I heard that can have negative affects on sps. I didnt wanna risk it since my sps are on a slow recovery now.

How much gfo should be in the reactor when i swap it next time? About half of the reaction chamber? And should the gfo be sandwiched between the sponges or slightly tumblng on the surface with a large clear water column to the top sponge?

No, I didn't mean add more GFO, I meant fill the rest of the chamber till the minimum level with carbon.

Kat, if you make a diy thread ill contribute what i can :)

oky doky

Reactor came in today and i got it installed. Does this look correct?

Wow so many tubes and hoses that it is hard to tell but it should be fairly easy to tell : water goes in and water comes out :-) and if that is happening and you have no leaks anywhere then I guess the answer is "yes" the set up is correct ... :-)

thanks albert :)

so excited today :) my liveaquara order will be in any minute now! the animal clinic tank is getting a pair of occy clowns and a cleaner shrimp. And im getting A STAR FISH :wub: I wanted another fish but the wifey pulled rank.

Lol im gonna have to gather my ghetto diy highlights when i get home kat.

Stupid liveaquaria didnt tell me that the "in stock" starfish that i paid for is actually back ordered. So i called an canceled it. I did get the clowns and shrimp for the 110 gallon though. So ill update that thread when i get a chance. GFY liveaquaria

Lol im gonna have to gather my ghetto diy highlights when i get home kat.

Stupid liveaquaria didnt tell me that the "in stock" starfish that i paid for is actually back ordered. So i called an canceled it. I did get the clowns and shrimp for the 110 gallon though. So ill update that thread when i get a chance. GFY liveaquaria

but it would have come with free shipping for you!

Well that was the idea behind it but i dont want a starfish randomly showing up at my door while im not home. I went by the pet store and bought some damsels out of frustration lol. I also got two lyretail balloon mollies that im going to attempt to acclimate.

thanks albert :)

so excited today :) my liveaquara order will be in any minute now! the animal clinic tank is getting a pair of occy clowns and a cleaner shrimp. And im getting A STAR FISH :wub: I wanted another fish but the wifey pulled rank.

Sounds great indeed and you seem really excited about what is coming in .. BTW what Star fish are you getting?

I am always interested in what happens to those who get them as so many people have problems keeping them alive or they get the wrong ones that are supposedly reef safe and some are but only when they are young, and when they age they become carnivore and go for corals and shrimp and crustaceans as well.

So do let me know .. Thanks and I appreciate it.

I had ordered an "orange marble star". It was some type of fromia with a calico pattern like a koi fish. I heard fromia were the safest bet. Unfortunately it was back ordered and hadnt been changed on the site. I didnt even find out untill i opened the package. Atleast the animal clinic got everything they ordered.

Anyways im ramping up my bioload now. I added two yellow tail blue damsels and a three stripe damsel. I also picked up a male and a female lyretail balloon mollie. Im trying to acclimate them to saltwater now.

2012-11-06150547.jpg

2012-11-06150702.jpg

I had ordered an "orange marble star". It was some type of fromia with a calico pattern like a koi fish. I heard fromia were the safest bet. Unfortunately it was back ordered and hadnt been changed on the site. I didnt even find out untill i opened the package. Atleast the animal clinic got everything they ordered.

Anyways im ramping up my bioload now. I added two yellow tail blue damsels and a three stripe damsel. I also picked up a male and a female lyretail balloon mollie. Im trying to acclimate them to saltwater now.]

Yes that would be a Fromia spp. star and the issue with sea stars is that they are very sensitive to any change in salinity and pH etc ... In fact I just posted 3 articles on Echinoderms on my thread and one of them includes a discussion by Dr Shimek on Fromia stars and why they are so difficult to keep alive in our aquaria because so little is know about what their nutritional requirement are.

You may want to read that article and then decide whether you really want that Fromia star.

Here is the link the 3rd of the articles that is the one that discusses reef safe sea stars :

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=4075363

Thanks albert ill definately check that out. ;)

I got the mollies in. Easiest fish ever to photo.

2012-11-06181721.jpg

This poor guy is getting a rough welcome. Since they are horrible swimmers in the current. He gets blown into other fishes territories and they think hes intruding. I just watched my clown throw him at the frogspawn.

2012-11-06181824.jpg

Everything looks good today! The mollies found each other in a low flow area and everything is leaving them alone except the cleaner shrimp lol. I need to get some sinking pellets to feed them because they cant swim in the current near the top. The three stripe is also picking at polyps on my birdsnest :( But the tank looks soo much better with all the movement and color! Im gonna have to make a new video.

Thanks albert ill definately check that out. ;)

I got the mollies in. Easiest fish ever to photo.

This poor guy is getting a rough welcome. Since they are horrible swimmers in the current. He gets blown into other fishes territories and they think hes intruding. I just watched my clown throw him at the frogspawn.

Looking good .. and yes clowns are territorial and don't mess around with what they consider "invaders" but he may calm down at some point

The funny thing is, they dont bother the white mollie (female) just the yellow one (female). I dont think they notice the white one against the white sand lol.

The funny thing is, they dont bother the white mollie (female) just the yellow one (female). I dont think they notice the white one against the white sand lol.

Interesting ... that is odd indeed

Archived