Cultivated Reef

The Water Box

JamesHL88

• Replies 359
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tank is lookin good!

Just throwing this out there, but is there any way you can find out any history about the freshwater tank you're converting to saltwater? I've never experienced this myself, but I remember reading that some people who converted fresh to salt that had previously treated ICH in the tank while it was fresh had massive die-off from the copper-based medication leeching into the new saltwater tank from the tank seams. Something to look up and be aware of, but after reading about peoples horror stories I know I will never take a used tank that I know nothing about and flip it to salt.

Tank is lookin good!

Just throwing this out there, but is there any way you can find out any history about the freshwater tank you're converting to saltwater? I've never experienced this myself, but I remember reading that some people who converted fresh to salt that had previously treated ICH in the tank while it was fresh had massive die-off from the copper-based medication leeching into the new saltwater tank from the tank seams. Something to look up and be aware of, but after reading about peoples horror stories I know I will never take a used tank that I know nothing about and flip it to salt.

IME you can never get all the copper out as it will eventually leach out of the silicone slowly but surely but maybe others have a different opinion

IME you can never get all the copper out as it will eventually leach out of the silicone slowly but surely but maybe others have a different opinion

+1

I agree even with the copper chelators on the market. From my understanding you might be able to get away with the hardier inverts without noticing anything drastic. However if you ever want a cephalopod you will likely be in a world of hurt. Copper kills cephs like no other so if you want that octo, cuttle or nauty well never trust a used tank. You will regret it. (N.B. they do require extremely low amounts of copper for their blood, but no supplementation or you will KILL them)

Oh and funny to me but fretfreak13 are you suggesting a Carfax report for aquariums? :P

edit: Even though I mention cephs this also includes many other inverts such as that expensive shrimp you've been eyeing

I bought this tank brand new. The only thing i ever put in it when it was freshwater was fertilizers, no meds. No need for copper. Infact i had a horrible ich outbreak one time that i treated with reef crystals. Worked better than aquarium salt.

Sorry

I just reread that post and realized you were talking about the animal clinic tank. I thought about the copper issue and this is my plan. Start it as FOWLR and try a couple snails and crabs frok my tank. If they do good then full steam ahead FOWI

• 2 weeks later...

i love this tank james, just instead of getting another par38, get some nice ati bulbs to replace the odyssa ones. it'll look so much nicer. :)

send me moneys

theres only so many ways you can haggle food stamps for T5 bulbs

:) He who has the money gets the T5's I guess ...

send me moneys

theres only so many ways you can haggle food stamps for T5 bulbs

instead of buying another par38, save the money to get new bulbs.

Skimmer upgraded from an Odyssea ps75 to a ps160. The 75 was an animal but this thing looks like a beast. It looks triple the size. Im expecting an extensive break in period due to the large diameter of the riser tube but it should satisfy :)

i couldnt fit anymore skimmer into this chamber if i tried :P

2012-10-14185100.jpg

Im glad you asked that. I love the aqueon line of powerheads, however the 500gph models have a very weak mounting bracket. I would probably go with hydor koralia over the aqueon 500. All of the aqueons i like except the 500.

Im glad you asked that. I love the aqueon line of powerheads, however the 500gph models have a very weak mounting bracket. I would probably go with hydor koralia over the aqueon 500. All of the aqueons i like except the 500.

great to know! the mount seemed to be the only thing that worried me. thanks james!

gulfsurfer101

Hey man nice tank, I'm all about ghetto fabulous when it comes to reefing and I'm digging this set up. I use the aqueon500 in my 5.5 and that little sucker pushes some water in there but I did have problems with the stem being too weak. I'll be checking in in your thread to see what you end up doing.

Archived