Cultivated Reef

wow.such.chris

Thanks, what trend is that?

Maybe not trends...

For one, the Mr Aqua 12. You may not have started t, but I can bet that most people using them credit you for some inspiration. I mean, even I drew up some plans to move into one.

Another is the idea that powerheads aren't necessary. Again, not something you invented but have certainly mastered. See: chads tank, Rogers tank, etc. I personally think this is "next level" reefing.

• Like 2

Grats, excellent tank and writeup.

Good writeup for TOTM man. You deserve it!

Thanks guys, I hope others that haven't seen my thread can learn a few new things about this style of build. And for words of wisdom or new reefer advice I wanted to make sure people understand that it is challenging in the beginning and that lots of grey advice is out there, even my own should be taken with a grain of salt from time to time. Take that salt and mix it with your RODI though, dont let it go to waste.

Congrats on TOTM! Your tank is one of my inspirations and it's awesome to see it awarded TOTM!

:)

Congrats man, you deserve it!

Congrats! Well deserved :)

Thanks guys!

Maybe not trends... For one, the Mr Aqua 12. You may not have started t, but I can bet that most people using them credit you for some inspiration. I mean, even I drew up some plans to move into one. Another is the idea that powerheads aren't necessary. Again, not something you invented but have certainly mastered. See: chads tank, Rogers tank, etc. I personally think this is "next level" reefing.

I have noticed more long aquariums or bookshelf style tanks and there are users that ask me via PM all the time about my plumbing setup so that they can recreate it or alter it to their tank. Its fun to see I am getting others exciting and interested in trying something similar.

Its hard to say this is the next level of reefing as people have been creating closed loops and other various setups to get rid of or hide powerheads. This was just an interesting approach that actually works on small size tanks.

• Like 2

Oh snap!! You won>?!?!? FINALLY. About time ahah, it should've been sooner cuz your tank was that great already before then. :D

• Like 1

Ya I had to finally give in to Chris' request to have me be TOTM, I didn't want Chadf shooting himself in the face.

If this isn't TOTM next month I'm gonna shoot myself in the face.

• Like 4

Ya I had to finally give in to Chris' request to have me be TOTM, I didn't want Chadf shooting himself in the face.

:lol:

Congrats :happydance:

• Like 2

Yeah lolol. It would really really really suck if Chad shot himself in the face just because you weren't totm this month lolololol.

• Like 2

Think Chris Marks was going to get lynched if he didn't give it to you soon!

<Kidding Chris...kidding!>

Just reread the whole thread last night. Very inspirational...the good and the bad. Lots of good reefing lessons there (ATO, cover, etc.) punctuated by some real setbacks that were then overcome.

You are kinda like the Rocky of reefing IMO.

• Like 2

:lol:

Congrats :happydance:

Grats!!! Your tank is one of my all time favorites, well deserved!!!

Congrats on TOTM, been a long time coming and definitely deserved. Well done :D.

CONGRATS MAN! Knew it would happen!

Thanks everyone!

Think Chris Marks was going to get lynched if he didn't give it to you soon!

<Kidding Chris...kidding!>

Just reread the whole thread last night. Very inspirational...the good and the bad. Lots of good reefing lessons there (ATO, cover, etc.) punctuated by some real setbacks that were then overcome.

You are kinda like the Rocky of reefing IMO.

LOL, ya there were a lot of hardships and things that I had to deal with that might have had other people quitting. Many people were impressed with my tank in the first year, and even I thought it looked great at times, but looking back you can see lots of struggling 1/2 dead corals and bad algae. You just have to fight through those and figure out what you can do to fix things. And sometimes just accepting that you tried and it didn't work is quite common.

And no one should have been upset with Chris. He wanted to make me TOTM about a year ago, before I even had any nominations in the reef profile thread. I told him my tank could be better and to give it a few months. He bugged me 2-3 more times before I caved. Lots of the corals colored up and matured since he asked me the first time, but even now there are things I want to look better, and hopefully they will because I don't plan to take the tank down anytime soon! :D

• Like 1

And no one should have been upset with Chris. He wanted to make me TOTM about a year ago, before I even had any nominations in the reef profile thread. I told him my tank could be better and to give it a few months. He bugged me 2-3 more times before I caved. Lots of the corals colored up and matured since he asked me the first time, but even now there are things I want to look better, and hopefully they will because I don't plan to take the tank down anytime soon! :D

Ha! That is an interesting back story, to be sure. I know there was a lot of good-natured banter with Chris about this, but really yours is one of several beautiful tanks...great husbandry and artistry. As I said, this will be one of inspirations for my new IM 16 build.

Well deserved, Brotha.

• Like 2

Congrats! With the frequent feeding, how do you keep algae under control???

Hermit crabs and a few snails. Anything they can't eat I scrub with a toothbrush or blast with a turkey baster right before a water change. There isn't a lot, so for me the trade off of a little manual cleaning is so negligible when the corals are colorful and have good tissue.