Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

When is this July meeting for TCMAS so I can come check it out? :o Hoping I don't work!

Its most likely going to be a weekday after work probably from 6-8pm probably between July 21-25th. My wife is due with our first child on Aug 2nd and we haven't started to move into our new building yet which is suppose to take place around the end of June. So its a tight window to fit this meeting in.

If you are in the Twin cities before then you are welcome to send me a PM either here or on TCMAS to scedule a visit. Don't be shy, I have a few people stop in once in awhile.

• Like 1

Its most likely going to be a weekday after work probably from 6-8pm probably between July 21-25th. My wife is due with our first child on Aug 2nd and we haven't started to move into our new building yet which is suppose to take place around the end of June. So its a tight window to fit this meeting in.

If you are in the Twin cities before then you are welcome to send me a PM either here or on TCMAS to scedule a visit. Don't be shy, I have a few people stop in once in awhile.

If I can't make it, I will probably take you up on that sometime :)

• Like 1

so you just run your bio pellets in a brs reactor?

Correct. The screwable canisters have an internal canister inside them that has a mesh at the bottom and a mesh lid on top. No pellets get out and because I run it in canister one it gets the most force from the pump to keep them tumbling. The 2nd canister is my carbon with sponges to collect any extra particulate that comes from the pellets as well as to polish the water and get rid of any bad odor.

A recirculating reactor that allows both high power pumps for tumbling but controllable slow throughput of the entire system would be more ideal, but they are a LOT more expensive.

Tank looks great bro, congrats! You ever have a problem with jumpers?

A few in the beginning and then I made a top using a window screen kit. Haven't lost one since. I take the top off when Im sitting next to the tank and when I take pictures, otherwise its on.

Congrats with TOTM, was curious why you run biopellets? Especially without a skimmer. Why not just run GFO?

I would probably prefer a skimmer, but I'm limited by the dimensions of my stand and sump, and I do not want anything hanging on the back of my tank. I wanted a better source of Nitrate removal as well. When I used GFO I would strip all of the phosphate out of my tank. There was zero algae but corals were pale and had thin tissue. You can read my TOTM description for more info on my early downfalls and how I got my tank in better condition.

• Like 1

Should I get a sicce synchra 2.0 (568 gph) or 3.0 (714 gph)? I'd say the 3.0 after comparing the head specs to your eheim.

The 2.0 could be ran 100% without worry. The 3.0 would probably need the returned toned down a little bit. I rarely run my return line 100% open just for safety. And the 1260 is around 600-650gph.

If you can find them I think the 2.5 or 3.5 would be a great fit in my opinion.

Sicce_Syncra_Silent.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Office is transferring over all equipment and furniture Thur-Monday. I have family plans all weekend so it looks like the tank is being moved Monday!! AHHHH :o

Tank transfer went fairly smooth. Started taking everything apart around 1, had everything cleaned and transferred over to the new office space by 3. Had one small leak that was quickly fixed. I used liquid teflon tape this time instead of the actual tape. It was gooey and messy but the seals seem a lot better.

All of the corals seem to have transferred over nicely, however I did lose all my fish except for the clown. I don't know if the O2 was too low, or if the temp drop was too much. My pseudo jumped out of the bucket while I was walking down the street. I quickly plopped him back in but that probably didn't help an already stressful situation.

I'll let everything restabilze for awhile and might retry the firefish or angel, well see. I midas is still so fun to watch that I'll still probably get another one.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

New picture showing off the tank's new locale.

uH9pl5f.jpg

For the last 3 weeks I've been really busy with this new animal. So tank took a little hiatus

10401937_10101454538370848_3293292597642

10469699_10101454264694298_5554781636674

Now that the office move is over and my paternity leave has come to an end its time to get this tank back in shape.

Before new corals or fish the first thing I want to address is the light. Right now the light isnt hung but setting on the top of the glass. The closer proximity and the huge amount of ambient light has bleached out many of my corals. So I really want to get a new light that has a similar shape but is controllable and has a wider spectrum.

Right now I have a 36" Chinese LED light that is 50% blue 50% white with no control. I'd like to stay with a similar style around the 24-36" range under $400 if possible.
These are some of the options I found, please let me know what you think based on the LED layouts, size of fixture, and controllablity.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...520764662.html
32" long. Min tank size is 36" if I use the legs.
2 clusters of 8 white, 15 blue, 3 actinic, 2 pink LEDs
$410 (Free Shipping)

These next 3 I couldn't find on Aliexpress for an easy 1 item buy. I'd have to contact them to make sure I could just buy one and find out their price.

http://cnhisea.en.alibaba.com/produc..._lighting.html
35" long
48 LEDs. Amount of each isnt specified but in one of the photos it looks like the front and back rows alternate B/W and the center row 3 violet, 3 red, 2 green, 2 orange, 2 blue

http://cnhisea.en.alibaba.com/produc...ium_light.html
27" Long
2 Dense white LED clusters. 20 Royal Blues, 6 violet, 4 Blue, 3 red, 3 green, 2 orange

http://cnhisea.en.alibaba.com/produc...um_lights.html
24" Long And also looks like it must be hung to fit my tank. This is also the shortest fixture and bulkiest of bunch. So low on my list
2 Dense white LED clusters. 20 Royal Blues, 6 violet, 4 Blue, 3 red, 3 green, 2 orange

• Like 5

Welcome back! Since you want to keep a similar form factor, for what it is worth, the 160 Watt Maxspect razor (I think 27 inches in length) fits beautifully on top of the 36" long Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long tank. I have it on legs over my Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long that your tank directly inspired. It is two-channel dimmable, so you can adjust it as needed for your coral. 6 period programmable as well for ramp up / ramp down intensity to simulate dawn /dusk and control how long you want any given intensity to last. Not remote control capable nor can it be integrated to controller systems except on/off via switched plug.

They have been listed fairly regularly in the hardware sale section of nano-reef.com for anywhere from $300 to a little north of $400.

Before new corals or fish the first thing I want to address is the light. Right now the light isnt hung but setting on the top of the glass. The closer proximity and the huge amount of ambient light has bleached out many of my corals. So I really want to get a new light that has a similar shape but is controllable and has a wider spectrum.

Right now I have a 36" Chinese LED light that is 50% blue 50% white with no control. I'd like to stay with a similar style around the 24-36" range under $400 if possible.
These are some of the options I found, please let me know what you think based on the LED layouts, size of fixture, and controllablity.

• Like 1

You have a stunning 12g long reef! watched all your YouTube videos for inspiration before I got the tank. Mine is a work in progress, just start adding corals but check it out if you have time.

• Like 1

Welcome back! Since you want to keep a similar form factor, for what it is worth, the 160 Watt Maxspect razor (I think 27 inches in length) fits beautifully on top of the 36" long Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long tank. I have it on legs over my Mr. Aqua 12 gallon long that your tank directly inspired. It is two-channel dimmable, so you can adjust it as needed for your coral. 6 period programmable as well for ramp up / ramp down intensity to simulate dawn /dusk and control how long you want any given intensity to last. Not remote control capable nor can it be integrated to controller systems except on/off via switched plug.

They have been listed fairly regularly in the hardware sale section of nano-reef.com for anywhere from $300 to a little north of $400.

The razor was my inspiration for looking at similar "knock-offs"

I like that the LEDs are clustered together as it provides better mixing of colors, but at 27" and with the first puck of LEDs a few inches from the edge of the fixture that means the LEDs are 8+ inches away from the sides of the tank. Id need the 120 degree reflectors and I'd have to lift the light fairly high. If I could get one for $300 I think it would be the best option over the imitation versions.

You have a stunning 12g long reef! watched all your YouTube videos for inspiration before I got the tank. Mine is a work in progress, just start adding corals but check it out if you have time.

Thank you. Im glad it inspired you to create your own. Honestly it took me at least a year or two before things really started to look nice. So just take it slow and it will continue to get better and better with time.

I look at the tank and I am like; I want. Then I my eyes wonder and I notice that Mac Pro and I am like; I want.

Gorgeous looking tank and baby! Best DIY project? :P

• Like 1

The razor was my inspiration for looking at similar "knock-offs"

I like that the LEDs are clustered together as it provides better mixing of colors, but at 27" and with the first puck of LEDs a few inches from the edge of the fixture that means the LEDs are 8+ inches away from the sides of the tank. Id need the 120 degree reflectors and I'd have to lift the light fairly high. If I could get one for $300 I think it would be the best option over the imitation versions.

On the hardware section: Maxspect Razor, 160 Watt. They are asking $300 OBO!

Gorgeous looking tank and baby! Best DIY project? :P

More of a Do It Together project :P

But ya it was lots of fun

These are now my new 2 favorites.

36" Razor looking LED Light with 4 channels of control. LEDs go down the entire fixture so I don't have to worry about dark spots on the ends of the tank.

SL-A001-90

And this one has the same LED configuration, but its just a little larger as it adds 4 T5 bulbs as well. I would probably only run 2 bulbs as the fixture is 10" wide (my tank is 8.5) but it would probably provide the best coloration.

SL-A006-90