Innovative Marine Aquariums

Be careful of spotlighting.

May want to check the Maxspect Glaive out too: http://reefbuilders.com/2014/05/28/maxspect-glaive-focuses-superb-led-color-mixing/

Looks like it just became available in Canada, China, and Italy. I was about to order it from Canada but after further research it looks like it is an entry level light. In many videos they say its mainly for fish only and softy tanks. Which is a real shame because it looks amazing and has the tight LED clusters.

http://www.incredibleaquarium.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=69

Do you think the glaive will be able to support SPS? Should I wait for a guinea pig to try it out?

Im pretty set on this unit unless anyone can steer me otherwise.

GuDjr4x.png

Do you think the glaive will be able to support SPS?

Chris at CoralVue said straight out the Glaive is for Fish only and low light corals. Such a shame, I feel like the design and execution is there but they missed their largest market.

• Like 2

Pulled the trigger on the 36" Chinese Razor-looking light. Got the price down so Im pretty happy about that. Half the cost of the Maxspect and has LEDs that go the full fixture (27" Razor would barely light the sides of my tank), has 4 control channels instead of 2, and has more set points.

Should be here with a week or two.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

It was shipped from China last week and flew out of Hong Kong on Friday, landed in Cincinnati OH and is waiting to fly out to Minneapolis. Hopefully it shows up Monday. I took Tues and Wed off of work so if it does show up then I wont be able to test it until Thursday.

Your tank makes me wanna start a 12.. there's one locally for sale for 40 bucks. So tempting.

You totally should. Its a challenging shape to work with but can create some really interesting scapes and fish options that aren't available to other 12 gallon tanks.

Just got a text to confirm a Monday delivery. I don't have any major projects, and they probably wont put me on anything new since I'm taking Tuesday and Wed off. I should have most of the day to mess around with the light, decide on a new hanging setup, and take pictures.

• Like 2

I just set up the light and this thing is AWESOME! It is built really well and is surprisingly very heavy compared to my old light.

I love the added look of cyan, 2 different colors of violet + a lot of blue. The corals pop while still having a fairly large amount of light. Before I could only get the colors to really fluoresce under 100% blue, now I can see the fluorescence with all the LEDs running. This means the fish are their natural color (instead of super dark blue/black) and I get good coral color at the same time.

Right now Im only fiddling with the light preview function ramping each channel up and down until I light certain blends. Next is to decide on which blends I like and have them change in a natural look throughout the day. And dang there are so many combinations it will be hard to choose.

The ONLY problem I have so far is the 4 rods they sent to mount the light have screw holes drilled at an angle. None of them are straight to allow the bracket to be secured. So for right now the light is just resting on the glass bracket without having the screws go through it. :eek:

I'll post pictures later this evening.

• Like 1

kIGuedpl.jpg

LVF9pAwl.jpg

C4ZIDcyl.jpg

The mounting bracket will probably have to be notched to accommodate my large bulkhead drains. Right now the bracket is barely resting on the glass rim. With a large circle notched out it will be more flush and secure to the tank.

VLRmlb4l.jpg

I only wish that the plug was on the side and the top hanging inserts were inset into the fixture, or at least black/silver. I need to rework my camera settings and white balance for the new light, but its a start.

• Like 10

That light looks really interesting. Do you know what the PAR measurements look like? I found the manufacturer's page and didn't get info on it.

Aquasunrise.com is their main page with info. I bought the AquaPro.

I don't see any par or pur readings. I also changed 4 of the violet LEDs to 4 410nm UVs since they had them available.

Its too early to tell what the effect is on my corals, but I am optimistic as before I was only able to adjust my light by its height off the water and covering white LEDs to get the amount of blue I wanted. Now with ramping control and the additional LED colors corals should see an improvement as they adjust.

Ah, I see. I think the page I found was the UK supplier's?

Anyway, I'll be following along to see how the light works out! Between the wifi/Apex controlled capability, the four channels, and the 3W Cree LEDs, it looks pretty great. Maybe I can find PAR readings on the LEDs themselves, if not the light?

EDIT: Huh. I've found a study on the Razor and two other products. Since this light is pretty comparable to the Maxspect Razor (uses 3W Cree LEDs, though I'm obviously losing granularity as far as different in efficient blue LEDs and actual running wattage, etc), it seems like the Aqua Pro is pretty darn awesome. The Razor, at 24", would give off 200-250 PAR just under the LEDs (and the LEDs on the Aqua Pro run the entire length of the fixture, so that's a plus as you said).

Following the awesome inverse square rule of light, a 12" depth would have you SPS ready, wouldn't it?

How far away from the surface do the legs put the light?

I think I'm going to have to demand a link to wherever you purchased this thing; it'd go great with my plans for an Apex controller and in the meantime could be controlled through my phone.

Hi Scorched,

I need some pointers for coral placements and what to get for the way my tank is scaped. My tank is pretty much new with only a few soft corals, i understand soft/lps/sps prefer different flow and amount of light but still a bit fuzzy about what i should get next and where to put them so that they would grow out without having problems later and still make the tank looks pop. wondering if you can give some inputs regarding that since your tank looks awesome. Thanks

• Like 1

Aquasunrise.com is their main page with info. I bought the AquaPro.

I don't see any par or pur readings. I also changed 4 of the violet LEDs to 4 410nm UVs since they had them available.

Its too early to tell what the effect is on my corals, but I am optimistic as before I was only able to adjust my light by its height off the water and covering white LEDs to get the amount of blue I wanted. Now with ramping control and the additional LED colors corals should see an improvement as they adjust.

That website no workie... Thats... annoying. Love the how the light looks!

That website no workie... Thats... annoying. Love the how the light looks!

For some reason the domain doesn't work unless you add www. to the beginning. So www.aquasunrise.com.

Sorry Fixed it. I didn't know it was that particular, most websites I can type in without www now a days.

Hi Scorched,

I need some pointers for coral placements and what to get for the way my tank is scaped. My tank is pretty much new with only a few soft corals, i understand soft/lps/sps prefer different flow and amount of light but still a bit fuzzy about what i should get next and where to put them so that they would grow out without having problems later and still make the tank looks pop. wondering if you can give some inputs regarding that since your tank looks awesome. Thanks

Sent you some tips. The tank is shallow enough that you can put most corals almost anywhere. If you have a really high demanding light coral and one that does better in dimmer light obviously both of them aren't going to be in their prime at the same time, but if you have enough light usually anything placed at the bottom wont be much different than whats at the top of your rocks.

So I just go with what looks good based on color, texture, growth etc

Sorry Fixed it. I didn't know it was that particular, most websites I can type in without www now a days.

Sent you some tips. The tank is shallow enough that you can put most corals almost anywhere. If you have a really high demanding light coral and one that does better in dimmer light obviously both of them aren't going to be in their prime at the same time, but if you have enough light usually anything placed at the bottom wont be much different than whats at the top of your rocks.

So I just go with what looks good based on color, texture, growth etc

I saw your response. I guess I'll go with looks and just making sure no corals are killing off each other. Thanks again.

Yeah, most times that gets taken care of automatically, but every once in a while you need to specify that you want the 'world wide web'. It's weird stuff.

How are the corals doing with the light so far, by the way? :haha:

Yeah, most times that gets taken care of automatically, but every once in a while you need to specify that you want the 'world wide web'. It's weird stuff.

How are the corals doing with the light so far, by the way? :haha:

Ive seen slight improvement in my orange and red corals. But the red LED is also fueling the algae at a slightly faster rate than before.

After about a month things should be fully adjusted and I can share more changes.