Cultivated Reef

Ethan's 12g Vagabond Tank

ScubaEthan

ScubaEthan

Dude look at the difference!

050312180658.jpg

2012-05-17_17-45-40_572.jpg

Photo duuuuump. I was so obsessed with just the blue/magenta strip that I just now took photos with both haha.

Best photo I could get of the love birds.

2012-05-17_17-59-26_839.jpg

2012-05-17_17-51-18_686.jpg

2012-05-17_17-51-40_605.jpg

ooooooooooo

2012-05-17_17-53-12_575.jpg

aaaaaaaaaahhhh

2012-05-17_17-55-35_716.jpg

2012-05-17_17-57-15_304.jpg

It's getting crowded so stuff got moved up. It's still not permanently attached in preparation for my move in 2-3 months.

2012-05-17_17-58-35_939.jpg

My leper mushroom has developed bright green spots! Weird.

2012-05-17_18-01-01_609.jpg

When I got this clump of clove polyps, there was already some blue cloves on it. They have multiplied and I think they might be taking over the polyps and killing some. Hmmm.

2012-05-17_17-52-04_130.jpg

Proof that blue cloves spawn in tanks. I will find a single cloves in a random place not near any others. Also, this is flatworm corner. They are only in this corner so I haven't taken more action yet.

2012-05-17_17-56-08_444.jpg

Feed me! Feed me!

2012-05-17_17-59-57_491.jpg

There's a monkey in my forest.

2012-05-17_17-30-52_948.jpg

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ScubaEthan

Thanks everyone! No, I used the same Droid 2 camera phone. It is harder for the camera to focus and display colors correctly with the added LED, but I am getting better at it too with using the magnifying glass B)

Looks great! I really like how it's coming along! And if those clove polyps start moving somewhere you can get a frag I'll take some off your hands!

ScubaEthan
Looks great! I really like how it's coming along! And if those clove polyps start moving somewhere you can get a frag I'll take some off your hands!

I already have some I could send you. PM me your zip code.

I HAD to bump these two photos again cuz they are so damn gorgeous :wub:

:blush:

I'm with Gena. Those two photos are gorgeous! You really are getting good with that magnifying glass. :)

ScubaEthan
I'm with Gena. Those two photos are gorgeous! You really are getting good with that magnifying glass. :)

Just imagine what I could do if I still had my SLR and macro lens :mellow:

banshee and I are doing a trade! This is my first trade from NR, and the first time I've taken any OUT of this tank instead of put in. I'm excited!

Anyone else want some blue cloves or yuma?

nathanq.inc

Those macro mushroom shots are fantastic! really looking forward to this mushroom experiment tank you were talking about

ScubaEthan
Great photos, Ethan .... flatworm corner is weird. So they only hang out there?

Thanks! I'm sure some could be found in other parts of the tank, but the only place I can ever see them is in that corner. At night time, you cannot see ANY. Weird how they just disappear. I had them in my old tank and they were usually along the waterline at the top of the sides of the tank. Weird.

Those macro mushroom shots are fantastic! really looking forward to this mushroom experiment tank you were talking about

:) I am too!

Not much to update in the bachelor pad. Mixing up some water and dosing .2ml of Brightwell Aquatics CoralAmmino as daily as possible. Bozo and Bailey II are dancing and growing. I have a busy streak and will be gone again this weekend. Friday AND Monday off! Visiting a friend in Pensacola, FL. After this, not much planned so one weekend I'll get a green clown goby.

I shipped coral for the first time today :scary: fingerscrossed

ScubaEthan
Scooby! I got an orange Yuma and thought of you! How goes the dipping?

Aw! My first corals were an orange and a blue ric. But the blue now looks teal and the orange looks kind of golden. I wonder if the colors will change again with the added blue/magenta strip?!

I will be dipping the zoas tonight. Thanks for the instructions!

It's almost June :)

surgicalsense

So far I have found the other tiny flatworms randomly on the glass and suck them out with the turkey baster thing.

... I shipped my first shipment today also, to Sara. Her macros, not as stressful as the coral shipping. But, still qualified as the first.

ScubaEthan
So far I have found the other tiny flatworms randomly on the glass and suck them out with the turkey baster thing.

... I shipped my first shipment today also, to Sara. Her macros, not as stressful as the coral shipping. But, still qualified as the first.

I've sucked out flatworms before with airline tubing but in that corner, it's all rubble and it jams the tube. Grr.

That's who I mailed coral to! She's getting lucky this week.

omg I was watching the Science Channel and the show How Do They Do It came on and they went to the Georgia Aquarium! So cool.

I dipped my whammin watermelon zoas in a peroxide bath per Kat. They haven't opened up yet so I hope it went ok.

Before...

2012-05-22_21-05-36_151.jpg

After....

2012-05-22_21-29-31_38.jpg

I did some major cleaning and acrylic scrubbing since I've been slacking, then fed everyone and changed the water.

My little birdsnest frag, which I got to see if it would do okay in my tank, has turned from a teal color to lime green. I'm assuming that means it's losing it's color/zooxanthellae. So I rearranged stuff on my frag rack and moved it up. The added led strip should help as well.

I've noticed lots of little baby mini brittle stars. They are smaller and white whereas the adult, albeit still tiny, are brown with patterns. Cuuute :)

Looks like the peroxide dip got rid of the algae! Nice! Now hopefully the zoas open back up and are happy :)

Thanks for posting the video about the GA aquarium! :D

That tiny little hole the diver had to climb into to fix that pump was creepy. As cool as diving in the aquarium is, I don't think I'd want that job.

I love the belugas! :wub:

ScubaEthan
Looks like the peroxide dip got rid of the algae! Nice! Now hopefully the zoas open back up and are happy :)

Thanks for posting the video about the GA aquarium! :D

That tiny little hole the diver had to climb into to fix that pump was creepy. As cool as diving in the aquarium is, I don't think I'd want that job.

I love the belugas! :wub:

Well, most of it was manual removal. There's some hair left that you can't make out in the photo. I assume it will die and be gone by tomorrow?

Wasn't that a cool segment? I liked the giant bag of Instant Ocean lifted by a crane. And the room of whale shark poop. That was a tiny space to dive in. At least he didn't have to wear a tank! They always get in the way.

I love the manta rays, especially when they do flips in bubble B)

Wasn't that a cool segment? I liked the giant bag of Instant Ocean lifted by a crane. And the room of whale shark poop. That was a tiny space to dive in. At least he didn't have to wear a tank! They always get in the way.

I love the manta rays, especially when they do flips in bubble B)

One of my favorite aquarium experiences was at Caesar's Palace in Vegas. They have this huge round aquarium and we got to watch a diver go in and hand-feed the fish! We also watched the dolphins being trained and fed at the Mirage. My daughter was about 3 years old and when someone asked her where dolphins live, she said "Las Vegas" :lol: !

I am getting lucky this week! ;):lol: I've got macros from Danyello and Gena coming plus the corals from you! Did your rics arrive yet? They should be there today I think! I hope they make it okay!

ScubaEthan
One of my favorite aquarium experiences was at Caesar's Palace in Vegas. They have this huge round aquarium and we got to watch a diver go in and hand-feed the fish! We also watched the dolphins being trained and fed at the Mirage. My daughter was about 3 years old and when someone asked her where dolphins live, she said "Las Vegas" :lol: !

Too cute :) one of my favorites was at Atlantis in the Bahamas. They have an awesome open, sunlit tank with huge manta rays. The Marriott Waikaloa Village on the Big Island has this whole river and lagoon system that flows through the resort and is all pumped from the ocean. I don't think there's any filtration. At least not like a closed aquarium system. But you can walk over little bridges and see morish idols and sea turtles swimming around or sit at a restaurant or bar outside and schools of yellow tangs beg for food like koi fish. Its really cool and unique.

ScubaEthan
I am getting lucky this week! ;):lol: I've got macros from Danyello and Gena coming plus the corals from you! Did your rics arrive yet? They should be there today I think! I hope they make it okay!

Hahaha. I want macros!!! Not yet. I bet they'll be here today too. If not ill have to delay driving down to Florida! Oh well, it would be worth it.

Archived