Pod Your Reef

Ethan's 12g Vagabond Tank

ScubaEthan

• Replies 917
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ScubaEthan
Looking good :) I need to do a water change.. It's probably been two weeks :unsure:

Me too :o I won't tell anyone if you won't. Sshhh.

I think you or Gena mentioned the zen garden thing? lol. I'm far from that, but I do like balance.

Actually, we mentioned being unable to pull off a zen garden look, going for the full, over-grown feeling of the English cottage garden or American meadow B) .

ScubaEthan
Actually, we mentioned being unable to pull off a zen garden look, going for the full, over-grown feeling of the English cottage garden or American meadow B) .

Oh yeah. Both are good goals but obviously the later is more attainable ;)

That was msscha's awesome quote...I just had it in my signature :happy:

If you haven't Krylon'd the tank yet, maybe you should try what I did...apply a 2-3 layers of the peel-n-stick window tinting film to the back of the tank. You can get it at auto parts stores or baby mega-marts.

It's removable, hides the cable/tubing clutter and best of all no paint fumes around your rapidly-turning-awesome tank.

Side note, ScubaEthan...my new YCG's apparently murder on the branching frogspawn frag I recently picked up. Glad I only dropped $5 on it. Put it in last Sunday, it started to open, and then BOOM! Yellow clowny death from above, side and underneath and a scattering of little flourescent green bits of tentacle in the water column. Must have moved it 4 times this week to find out-of-the way nooks with appropriate flow that would hide it from the Yellow Avenger. Maybe an anchor/hammer instead? (i.e. somthing with less wormy looking polyps) Did your GCG do anything similar to yours?

Hey Ethan! How have you been? That new FTS is great! Your tank is looking really full! That crab is really cool look. Have you ID'ed him yet? My favorites are the shots of the mushrooms :D

ScubaEthan
If you haven't Krylon'd the tank yet...

Side note, ScubaEthan...my new YCG's apparently murder on the branching frogspawn frag I recently picked up. .... Did your GCG do anything similar to yours?

Hmm maybe. I went to Home Depot on Ponce one night to get Krylon and apparently they don't carry it. I don't even know where a Michaels or Hobby Lobby is around me. It's been on my list of things to do for a while. I want to paint the frag rack too so I might stick with the spray paint but that's a good idea!

The green clown goby was gone before I got that hammer so I can't answer that question. But it would lay in the middle of my ricordea yuma rock and there is still a bare spot where all the yumas walks away from the middle. It didn't seem to piss of the yumas, just make them move. But I guess euphyllia can't move away from their annoyances.

Do you have a tank thread? If so, you need a signature so I can click on it :)

Hey Ethan! How have you been? That new FTS is great! Your tank is looking really full! That crab is really cool look. Have you ID'ed him yet? My favorites are the shots of the mushrooms :D

Thanks! I've been doing pretty good. I haven't IDed him. I searched a lot and found some possible choices but gave up. It hasn't harmed anything (or anyone) so I guess it's okay. I love those abstract shots too :) I've gotten pretty skilled at the cell phone + magnifying glass photos haha

Question: I'm about to make an online purchase of goods. I was thinking about getting something to boost coral growth and color. But I don't want to have to test for stuff. So does that basically rule out all the options? I feed Marine Snow once a week and spot feed garlic soaked mysis about once a week. I have Seachem powder reef buffer but haven't even used it yet lol. I've become an incredibly lazy reefer. I've just been so distracted lately.

I'm breaking down and buying a Panorama Pro 445nm Blue/Magenta strip cause I'm tired of waiting to find a used one. And I need some new purigen and chemi-pure elite. And my thermometer bust. Luckily I caught it before it spilled into the tank!

No tank thread of my own yet (and yes, even I admit threadjacking yours is kinda lame) even though my tank's been up since last November. Been working on my mad photography skillz since the addition of the PPros proved to be too much for my phone's camera to handle.

Little tip...Premier Aquatics over on 120/Roswell Rd. loop and Creation Reef (92 @ 575) both carry Ecoxotic's modules. Premier's a little more expensive but have the entire line of pro/stunner/RGB strips/dimmers (but still charge less than what overnight shipping'll run you). Creation doesn't have quite the same selection, but only charge Ecoxotic's posted MSRP and have most of the pro parts in stock.

I opted to get mine locally since both stores were really good about exchanges and letting me try out the full assortment of goodies until I got it just right. I'd have easily been out my inital purchase price in restock fees if I went online for 'em.

ScubaEthan

haha it's okay to threadjack here. But you have to have a tank thread to be cool B) jk

Yeah cell phone photos are tricky with LEDs. It's annoying.

I rarely shop at LFS. I know.. it's bad. I am a supporter of shopping local but I never seem to make it out to LFSs before they close and I'm gone a lot of weekends. Plus, I'm south of Decatur. So the closest store I know of is Nemo and that's 30 minutes away and out of the way from anything I do.

Can I get Purigen or 7.99 and Chemi-Pure Elite for 7.99? That's why I was going to go with Pet Solutions online. The Panorama Pro strip is $84.55 and I'll get free shipping :happy:

Where are you at? Wanna help me move in August? :D

Hmm maybe. I went to Home Depot on Ponce one night to get Krylon and apparently they don't carry it. I don't even know where a Michaels or Hobby Lobby is around me. It's been on my list of things to do for a while. I want to paint the frag rack too so I might stick with the spray paint but that's a good idea!

Yeah, I tried Home Depot first too. I ended up going to Michaels to get it, but Home Depot also told me that Walmart supposedly sells it. I'm sure there's a Walmart somewhere around you if you have to go there as a last resort. Man do I hate Walmart and avoid it at all costs, but sometimes it necessary.

Question: I'm about to make an online purchase of goods. I was thinking about getting something to boost coral growth and color. But I don't want to have to test for stuff. So does that basically rule out all the options? I feed Marine Snow once a week and spot feed garlic soaked mysis about once a week. I have Seachem powder reef buffer but haven't even used it yet lol. I've become an incredibly lazy reefer. I've just been so distracted lately.

Maybe try amino acids? You don't need to test for those and they help with growth. Here's what I have:

http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/coralamino.php

Then online it is, especially if you're paying MSRP + no shipping. Coming from Decatur you'd burn through enough gas getting to either store I mentioned to eclipse any benefit from local purchase other than that of instant gratification. And neither store honors ARC discounts on lighting, "dry goods" classification aside.

I'm in Roswell...PM me if you wind up needing another set of hands come move time. Will schlep furniture for coral frags. :lol:

ScubaEthan
Maybe try amino acids? You don't need to test for those and they help with growth. Here's what I have:

http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/coralamino.php

Yesss that's exactly the sort of thing I had in mine. There's just so many products to sort through. Thanks!

Then online it is, especially if you're paying MSRP + no shipping. Coming from Decatur you'd burn through enough gas getting to either store I mentioned to eclipse any benefit from local purchase other than that of instant gratification. And neither store honors ARC discounts on lighting, "dry goods" classification aside.

I'm in Roswell...PM me if you wind up needing another set of hands come move time. Will schlep furniture for coral frags. :lol:

Well that lame. I paid for an ARC membership and it certainly has not paid off. If I was one of those hundreds of gallons guys, then I'm sure it would.

Get the goodies :happy:

I am! But Pet Solutions doesn't carry the Brightwell Amino stuff. I'm not getting enough stuff to get free shipping at Marine Depot... dangit.. off to look for another online retailer with the best deal!

That looks pretty good too Danielle. There are too many options for things to dump in our tanks! I would definitely just recommend getting something by Brightwell. They're stuff is great and they have quite a few things you can use without testing all the time.

surgicalsense
That looks pretty good too Danielle. There are too many options for things to dump in our tanks! I would definitely just recommend getting something by Brightwell. They're stuff is great and they have quite a few things you can use without testing all the time.

Agreed Felicia. This is the perfect multi-vit. Specially because I am dork with these chemical compounds for the tank :wacko: ... I place a couple droplets only in Ch.3 and allow the pump to circulate it for me. But, I only add after a WC and/or I add a new stony coral for the most part.

ScubaEthan

Sweet. Thanks Felicia and Danielle. I should've asked you, being the lazy reefer and all haha. Looks like That Fish Place carries Brightwell and the Panoramas and has free shipping over $49! I'll do a bit more research later. It's almost quittin' time! And Wednesday nights are hang out nights with my friends. (Not church lol.)

Oh and for any progressive people out there, after getting dumped for not being a Christian, I got a Darwin fish for my car :) Not to start any political/religious conflicts... I just thought it was kind of funny.

And the staying friends with the ex thing is actually going pretty well!

Spirofucci

Sometimes the best sex is with the Ex. (just a little pearl I learned over the years)

Go Ethan! .........and may God Bless.

ScubaEthan
Sometimes the best sex is with the Ex. (just a little pearl I learned over the years)

Go Ethan! .........and may God Bless.

How did you know that's what I meant by it going well?!?! B)

Thank you.... and may the force be with you.

Oh and for any progressive people out there, after getting dumped for not being a Christian, I got a Darwin fish for my car :) Not to start any political/religious conflicts... I just thought it was kind of funny.

And the staying friends with the ex thing is actually going pretty well!

That's why she broke up with you? I guess I missed that. I'm a grad student in science doing research on human embryonic stem cells. If its been proven by science, I believe it. So of course I believe in evolution. I'm also a "Christian" (although I hate going to church because of the closed-mindedness) since my grandfather is a minister. I just don't see why you can't believe the bible and believe in evolution. The bible says god created us in his image and it all took 7 days. Why does god have to have the same sense of time as us? Maybe when they say 7 days it was actually millions of years because the people who wrote the bible at the time couldn't comprehend that much time. And if he created us in his image, who says he didn't do it through evolution? I don't see why god can't just have some hand in the proven science versus just saying poof and everything appears as is. Just my 2 cents :D

Hmmm... I don't dose anything at the moment beyond semi-routine water changes (getting better!). Might lightly dosing one of the Brightwell complexes mentioned be a good catch all for getting the best color out of my ricordea/zoas? The only LPS in my tank is still in the proccess of being mauled by the Killer YCG and I'm not very hopeful as to it's long-term survival (the coral, not the goby).

By my amazing powers of guestimation and fuzzy math, I reckon that to come out ahead on the cost/value of an annual ARC membership you've got to attend at least 2 speaker functions, the Frag swap (you get at least 1 freebie coral frag of your choosing, this year there were some great ones to select from), and buy at least 2 other corals/fish/ misc. livestock in a given year at a sponsor's store that offers the discount. Many do, especially on livestock. Sometimes I think we forget where the margins are in this business...and then get upset that the thing that doesn't grow isn't cheaper.

Or stand up a tank, any size.

Edit ...and wow, the conversational thread really went a different way while I wasn't paying attention. I dunno..my own experience is that post-breakup the "friends w/ benefits" thing's often about as stable as chugging pop rocks and coca cola. Mixed with nitroglycerine. While participating in a pogo stick marathon.

But if it's working well for you, cool deal! Sometimes dating just gets in the way of a great relationship.

Archived