ReefCleaners.org

Hypo's Underwater Garden - I am alive!

hypostatic

Love the starfish! So many people hate them :(

I picked up a goniopora at petco for $10, they pretty much have no lighting so it was streeeeeeeeeetching so far :( Everything looks brown in their tank due to the lighting but turns out its a green one.

How much Kent Iron/mag do you dose? I was going to start dosing it for macro's and sounds like it will be helpful for the goniopora too!

Yeah, Petco sometimes gets some decent stuff in, but the way they keep their stock isn't conducive for the corals. They like HAVE to use the crappy lighting they use, because they're forced to show off the hardware they stock -- even if the employees are reefkeepers and know better. I've actually heard about a store that was keeping the corals properly with the right lighting, and everything was growing and healthy, and they were also really successful with sales. But then corporate found out, fired everyone involved, but back in the crappy lighting/systems, and everything basically died.

But yay gonis :) . I dose..... SPORADICALLY at best lol. I haven't really dosed or done a water change in like a month... or two... lol. But yeah, I'd recommend doing the weekly dosing regimen that's written on the back of the tube. I'm also considering dosing potassium, but I'm haven't really read much about it. I could even make my own KCl/KSO3 dosing solution, but I haven't found any specific recipes out there...

• Like 2

I SAW A BUMBLEBEE TODAY. It's officially spring :flower:

So in honor of the bumblebee and springtime the tank is getting some spring cleaning. Pics very soon ;)

• Like 4

Huzzah!

There is one petco about 3 hours away from me which is known for having healthy fish and corals. They have a separate frag tank they keep all their corals in that is properly lit. The prices are pretty high on the corals though. I am not sure why some rare petco's seem to be able to have better set ups. Perhaps they are breaking the rules there too. If so, I hope they don't get caught! It's ironic how their saying is "creating responsible pet parents" but many keep their fish/corals in deplorable conditions.

I asked the local petco here about it and they said they had asked and asked corporate for new lights, specific ones for the corals and corporate finally sent some lighting but it wasn't the lighting they asked for and it's still crap lighting.

Went to frag swap today and picked up 2 more goni's from another reefer (green with blue centers and red with blue centers). Both frags are already encrusted over where they were fragged so hopefully these buggers like it in the macro tank.

• Like 1

Huzzah!

There is one petco about 3 hours away from me which is known for having healthy fish and corals. They have a separate frag tank they keep all their corals in that is properly lit. The prices are pretty high on the corals though. I am not sure why some rare petco's seem to be able to have better set ups. Perhaps they are breaking the rules there too. If so, I hope they don't get caught! It's ironic how their saying is "creating responsible pet parents" but many keep their fish/corals in deplorable conditions.

I asked the local petco here about it and they said they had asked and asked corporate for new lights, specific ones for the corals and corporate finally sent some lighting but it wasn't the lighting they asked for and it's still crap lighting.

Went to frag swap today and picked up 2 more goni's from another reefer (green with blue centers and red with blue centers). Both frags are already encrusted over where they were fragged so hopefully these buggers like it in the macro tank.

Yeah, all they can get is coralife or zoomed. Plus the fixtures arent great.

You gotta post some pictures of these in your setup when you get the chance!!

Amazing shots. Want that mini nem.

haha which one?

Nice pictures Hypo,

Thanks! My tank isn't such an easy study as yours, but I can manage ;)

It's tough to get a FTS where everything is happy and expanding at the same time, but this is close lol

Kidding? The shot is awesome!

Who do you find is closed up most often? Also is that RFA on the top right on the glass?

• Like 1

Kidding? The shot is awesome!

Who do you find is closed up most often? Also is that RFA on the top right on the glass?

Yes, that is a RFA. They haven't been doing so great in my tank... I lost 3 of the original ones I got. The remaining 2 aren't very sticky at the moment...

Eh it's not one coral is closed more often than the other, it's that one of them will be pooping, or a hermit will have walked over it recently -- stuff like that. Like, I have 3 gonis on the bottom, and there's a halloween hermit perched on one of them on the FTS lol. Also, half of this goni has been pissed off for the last two days. Only one half though lol.

LO0dTC6.jpg

• Like 2

Have you had any trouble with the maxi mini? I've found the RFA to be very hardy but they prefer being at the bottom with low flow and light.

Nah, the micro-minis are fine. I started with 2 and now I'm up to five.

Yeah, that's what I heard too. The RFA on the top moved itself there, so I guess that's where it wanted to be

Have you had any trouble with the maxi mini? I've found the RFA to be very hardy but they prefer being at the bottom with low flow and light.

• Like 1

haha which one? ;)

Any of them. Impossible to find around here. I have one I got from Lawnman, but still waiting for it to split. They're all beautiful.

• Like 1

Any of them. Impossible to find around here. I have one I got from Lawnman, but still waiting for it to split. They're all beautiful.

Ah well keep an eye out for a sale thread soon. The micro-minis split pretty quickly, but the gracilis is a slower grower. The micros have split about 3 times since I got them, and the gracilis has only split once in that time

• Like 2

So pretty, so graceful. Which brand of black sand is that? I know there are 2 companies that carry black but I can't remember which was which and which was better? I remember one has some flecks of red, the other flecks of white I thought.

jedimasterben

Beware - black sand contains a lot of iron and is magnetic. If it gets stirred up a lot, it will find its way to your pump impellers and slowly kill them.

Hmm this black sand is much much larger grain than the white sand I had previously (like 5x-10x larger). It never really kicks up and sinks really quickly if you raise some up.

• Like 1