Top Shelf Aquatics

Wet's Battery powered air top-off...$10.

Undertheradar

Any ideas on a container to use that holds 2-5 gallons? I bought all the parts, but now I'm wondering if the air pumps are good enough to push through a larger volume of water, and finding a larger container that I can make air tight?

Go to one of those stores that sell water only. They have 2.5 gal water jugs that you could use.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought I would add a status or my $.02 to this thread since I have my ATO up and running. I used the Azoo battery powered pump from drsfosterandsmith and a 2.5 gallon absopure spring water container (the kind you can set sideways and has the rubber spout thing).

All is well really. the only trouble I had is the pump didn't start 2 times out of many. Once during testing and once in production. There is one spot where the little cam thing attached to the diaphragm stops and the motor can't push it past to restart. Requires the switch to be turned on and off a few times to jar the cam past the stuck spot. Could be just related to that particular pump. It's great for daily use, but I wouldn't trust it for several days at a time. I'm sure getting a little more expensive air pump would solve that problem.

The sprint water container expands a bit and expels extra water for almost a minute after the pump turns off until the container depressurizes, but the amount of water is negligible (it seemed like alot when I was testing, but going live it changed the water level in my return chamber maybe a 1/16"). The rubber cap on the container holds tight though, and it still pumps water even when the container is almost empty.

All in all, this is a very sweet DIY ATO solution and I would encourage many other folks to give it try. Thanks Undertheradar for originally hooking this thread up!

Edited by edacsac
Any luck using the Azoo's?

I was wondering, how do you stop it from pumping freshwater in when you're doing a waterchange?

The Azoo has worked great for me so far. I've been using it for almost 4 months and I'm still on the original battery's.

When you want to do a water change, turn the switch on the pump off.

1st Q: The batteries are two D cells in parallel...about 3 volts. Pump water through 1/4" hose 3-4 feet up? I cant imagine why not. You know, I havent tried it yet, but I think I will test the system to get a figure as to what the MAX HEAD on this setup would be.
If the batteries are in parallel and they are 1.5V its a 1.5V system, if they are in series it would be a 3 V system.
Any luck using the Azoo's?I was wondering, how do you stop it from pumping freshwater in when you're doing a waterchange?
turn off the pump before you take the water out, once its full again turn the pump back on.
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks to the OP on this idea...

Used a $6 walmart livewell air pump, a floatswitch.net switch, a 2L Coca-Cola bottle, and a 35mm film canister as a snail guard. Didn't trust it at first, now is working like a champ. A little loud, but works. A little residual run through after pump shuts off... but that's just fine... keeps it from running every hour.

Switch is attached to hood, so need to disconnect when the hood comes off. I laughed at the need for a snail guard at first... then saw how mobile and fast narisus and turbo snails were... need that guard.

Total cost for this ATO, under $20.

As mentioned, cheap air pump doesn't produce much pressure. I'm lifting it a whole 20" from bottom of bottle over lip of tank. by 30" of height, the air pump is noticably upset.

• 9 months later...
BoaConchicken

this is an awesome diy. B) i just finished putting one together, and now i just have to wait for my float switch to get here and i'll be ready to go.

heres a couple pictures of the way i set mine up. i don't think i'm going to keep the bottle where it is now, although it does fit quite nicely there :D

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

I was not able to get my pump to pump water very high up using a .75 gallon container. I made it only about a foot or so up... unless anyone has any suggestions, I'm gonna have to have everything on the same level as the tank.

Air leaks are usually the culprit here. The best seal without using silicone is going to be a hole that is smaller than the tube. It should be really hard to pull the tube though. Creates a great seal. This is the same way I have made three ATOs, and a CO2 system for my freshwater planted tank.

man i just dont get it.....if you are using an air pump, where is the suction coming from to pump water into tank??? that is the part i dont understand... the one tube is coming down from air pump pumping air into bottle. then you have a longer tube running to tank that pumps water into tank. but what is causing the water to pump from longer tube???

The entire system, theoretically, should be air tight other than the tubes. When the air pump, pumps air into the container holding the water and the longer tube, pressure builds up. When pressure builds up in the bottle, the air and water are going to look for a place to esacpe. The airline tube at the bottom of the bottle provides a place for water to be pushed out be the building air pressure.

The entire system, theoretically, should be air tight other than the tubes. When the air pump, pumps air into the container holding the water and the longer tube, pressure builds up. When pressure builds up in the bottle, the air and water are going to look for a place to esacpe. The airline tube at the bottom of the bottle provides a place for water to be pushed out be the building air pressure.

ahhh....you are sooo smart ;)

I havent messed around with it yet since I don't have the float switch and I ruined the only good cap i have. Once I get another cap, Ill try making smaller holes.

Very cool and cheap idea. I have a setup very similar to this but with a wired pump. I originally just used the float switch to break the connection in the air pumps cord but I didn't feel totally comfortable and thought that the AC current might wear down the switch leads.

So I modified it to the following. I bought a relay and a DC power source from radio shack. The float switch now breaks the DC loops which in turn deactivates the relay and breaks the air pump loop. When I first built the ATO I was leaving town for about 2 weeks and so I was really paranoid about it malfunctioning. To help ease my mind I plugged the DC power source and pump into a digital timer. I programmed the timer to only turn on for about 3-5 min at a time about 5 times/day. This way my entire 5 gal reservoir can't be drained all at once if something fails like a snail crawling onto the switch. The timer also prevent the loud air pump from turning on while I'm sleeping. (Pump is about 1 ft from my bed)

My setup is a little more than $10 but I choose to do it this way because now I can use a more powerful pump and get required 4ft of head I need to pump from my floor to the top of my tank and I never need to worry about changing batteries which I guess I could argue would offset the extra cost eventually.

evil, you were right. I just needed to make the holes slightly smaller. Wired the float switch in and did a test run and everything works! Just need to fab up my mounting system and I'll be good to go.

• 3 months later...
The Propagator
Air leaks are usually the culprit here. The best seal without using silicone is going to be a hole that is smaller than the tube. It should be really hard to pull the tube though. Creates a great seal. This is the same way I have made three ATOs, and a CO2 system for my freshwater planted tank.

Hard plastic jug with air tight screw on cap, plastic tube, and jaco fittings should = no leaks

:D

not to beat the dead dog into a pile mush anymore but will these floats work because floatswitch.net(now a different name) wants $10 plus shipping

http://cgi.ebay.com/Liquid-Water-Level-Sen...A1%7C240%3A1318

Yup