SaltCritters.com

Wet's Battery powered air top-off...$10.

Undertheradar

Ugh I'm having problems, whenever the pump turns off water slowly gets sucked back into my jug. I'm thinking the jug is leaking air but I'm not sure what is causing this. I have a check valve in between the pump and the bottle so there isn't any stress on the pump to hold the pressure. I'm out of ideas. Any thoughts?

Your bottle might not be air tight but the problem is the top off line being submerged. The tubing needs to be just above the water line as a fail safe.

me too cept for $15

im serious

This thread is like 6 years old and more of a build guild for others at this point.

I dont think the OP has logged in to the site since last September.

You didnt read the whole thread other wise you would know the price of float switches went up.

You publicly low balled the OP in your first 4 posts on NR. Good job

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
This thread is like 6 years old and more of a build guild for others at this point.

I dont think the OP has logged in to the site since last September.

You didnt read the whole thread other wise you would know the price of float switches went up.

You publicly low balled the OP in your first 4 posts on NR. Good job

HAHAHAHA

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I love this thread, I'm currently sourcing all my stuff for setting up after my move and was looking at commercial ato's. I have 90% of this equipment in my shed.

Just need a float, my last one was used for diesel fuel interlocks that would probably be toxic.

Edited by MrMen
  • 1 month later...

I am giving this a go. Got my supplies from Amazon, I didn't need it but I got 25' of tubing for $6.... so when I checked out the price was $23 total for the pump, float switch and tubing. Pumps run about $9-$10 on Amazon and the float was $5. Both items had Prime shipping so I save their since I have a Prime account. I am going to use a OJ bottle that looks to be about one liter of volume. This system will be going on my GF's tank in her classroom so she doesn't have to overtop off on the weekends when no one is there.

I'll share some more of my build later. Thought some more updated info for this ancient but very useful thread would be good for those in search of a cheap solution.

• 2 months later...
I am giving this a go. Got my supplies from Amazon, I didn't need it but I got 25' of tubing for $6.... so when I checked out the price was $23 total for the pump, float switch and tubing. Pumps run about $9-$10 on Amazon and the float was $5. Both items had Prime shipping so I save their since I have a Prime account. I am going to use a OJ bottle that looks to be about one liter of volume. This system will be going on my GF's tank in her classroom so she doesn't have to overtop off on the weekends when no one is there.

I'll share some more of my build later. Thought some more updated info for this ancient but very useful thread would be good for those in search of a cheap solution.

I would be intrested in a pictured DIY if your going to make one, as much as the pictures are worth at the start of he thread its nice to see a few different times.

• 3 months later...
Undertheradar

I just wanted to chime in as the OP: I am getting emails about this system from time to time. Yes, it still works. I moved on to larger aquariums though, so the examples I still see in use are on other people's nanos from time to time. But I can't respond to emails about troubleshooting really: I might be 8000+ miles away from my home in the US at any given time. My EE job requires that I travel; 90% international; and when I am off it is just easier to stay in SE Asia or wherever I might happen to be. I spend months at a time in Asia, Russia, Germany, Brazil, etc. Responding to emails is pretty much impossible from behind "The Great Firewall of China", so don't bet on it.

OTOH, my new reef aquarium is very nice. It has miles of secluded beaches, no need for restocking, no water changes needed, and more fish and corals in it than I could have back in the US. I might not have a reef in my home now, but I get to spend the holidays with some coworkers that live in Thailand and Bali.

Edited by Undertheradar
  • 6 years later...