Coral Vue Hydros

Wet's Battery powered air top-off...$10.

Undertheradar

Beautiful diagram wetline....nicely done.

I've been using one of these for 2 years on my main tank

I'll be adapting the float switch to this pump on one of my nano's

Vacuum water pump

I have it on a true floatswitch 110 setup pumping water from a 30g drum into my sump in the garage, works great, pretty sure it's just like an airpump, but made for water

I am not able to see any of the pictures....no clue why but i cant. I do understand the concept and i do love the diagram drawn above. But could somone post a pic or a link to a pic, that shows the bracket that holds the float switch?

I finally got a chance to set this up on my tank. I don't have a sump so the float switch goes in the display, and my powerheads ripple the water and cause the float switch to bob up and down causing the air pump to constantly turn on and off. I placed the float switch in the least turbulent place, but it still does this. Any ideas for a solution other than having less flow in the tank?

neanderthalman

make a waveguard for it. Take a pill bottle and drill holes in the bottom. Put your floatswitch in there, with the pill bottle half in, half out of the water. The level will match the rest of your tank, 'cause the water will flow up through the holes in the bottom of your tank, but you won't get any waves.

HTH

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Undertheradar

Being that email notification is working for me again...just let me know..I can post any pics you like from the original 2 models now...they are no longer in use but could be dug up for a photo op!

I just took down the 2nd one last week...moved my 10g+sump to a 15L with integrated sump & full glass tops so the ATO is not needed...but when I swap out the lights for halides in a week or so the glass will be removed and I will need the ATO again. So no need to worry...they work fine and all...for a long time even (I finally bought new batteries after a year and a half of using the old ones that were half dead in the first place).

On the new setup, I will have an alternative way to use the air pump to top-off. Rather than use the pump for pure pressure on a 1g jug, the pump can power an airstone attached to a 'lift-tube' in a bucket or other non-sealed container. This would mean that the pump would instead 'bubble-up' water into the tank. This means you could use any size res you want...a 10g, 20g, whatever.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

sounds like an interesting design, I had made the battery powered one and I love it! No need to worry about top offs any more, just refill the jug every week. Definately like to see how this other design will work.

Undertheradar

Its really basic. I use the air pump as an air-lift...like for an undergravel lift tube, only narrower to help push water up better when I need to. I simply have a bucket next to the tank / sump and rather than using pressure from a 1g jug, I use an air-lift from a 7g bucket.

• 4 weeks later...

Great project, thanks for posting.

One question, please.

What are you guys using for make up water storage for the air pump? I want something in the 5 to 10 gallon size.

Thanks ....