Top Shelf Aquatics

Wet's Battery powered air top-off...$10.

Undertheradar

I don't know if anyone posted on how to use the Azoo pump or not. I just did this using an Azoo in about 10 minutes. The red wire from the float was spliced in closer to the battery and the black was spliced by the pump. Let me know if you needs pictures. I assume by now you've already done this.

Of all the switches on floatswitches which do you recommend?

The nice thing about this ATO system as that the LARGE majority of float switches will work and there's not any AC current practically touching the water. Anything rated for 12v+ of DC would be fine.

Just do an ebay search for "float switch." I didn't see any there on the first page that wouldn't work. Good luck

• 1 month later...
I don't know if anyone posted on how to use the Azoo pump or not. I just did this using an Azoo in about 10 minutes. The red wire from the float was spliced in closer to the battery and the black was spliced by the pump. Let me know if you needs pictures. I assume by now you've already done this.

Post some picks ... we need to know

• 3 weeks later...

so i jsut set mine up works perfectly! also set one up a float switch on the ground wire so if the tank starts to over flow for soem reason the other float switch goes up and disconnects the ground

I just purchased the hagen air pump and got it all wired up as per the directions. However, I've tried a 1 gallon gatorade bottle and now a 2 liter bottle and the pump couldn't push the water up the line and into the tank. I tried 1/4" ice maker line and regular air line and neither worked. But when I physically would blow on the airline it would work just fine which leads me to believe there are no leaks anywhere. Am I just an idiot or has anyone else had this problem? I'm gonna lower the water level in the bottle to see if that helps at all too.

Sorry. Forgot to mention the head height from the bottle to the tank is about 3 feet or so.

Edited by hobbyfish
I just purchased the hagen air pump and got it all wired up as per the directions. However, I've tried a 1 gallon gatorade bottle and now a 2 liter bottle and the pump couldn't push the water up the line and into the tank. I tried 1/4" ice maker line and regular air line and neither worked. But when I physically would blow on the airline it would work just fine which leads me to believe there are no leaks anywhere. Am I just an idiot or has anyone else had this problem? I'm gonna lower the water level in the bottle to see if that helps at all too.

Sorry. Forgot to mention the head height from the bottle to the tank is about 3 feet or so.

Probably the head height. Mine really struggles around 2.5 feet. Try again after elevating your ato resevoir.

Probably the head height. Mine really struggles around 2.5 feet. Try again after elevating your ato resevoir.

I tried raising it up but it was nearly at the same height as the water level in order to work... I don't understand what the deal is. (I do understand the whole head pressure idea which I'm sure is an issue with this weak little pump) I have about half a ton of caulk around the airlines so I know there is no leak. It's frustrating at this point to say the least. I'm about to go Tim Taylor on this thing and hook it up to my air compressor! Grrr!!

Will this switch work? It's the diagram of the open and closed part that's throwing me, or does it matter?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Liquid-Water-Level-Sen...=item19b9d46e39

yep. should work great

I tried raising it up but it was nearly at the same height as the water level in order to work... I don't understand what the deal is. (I do understand the whole head pressure idea which I'm sure is an issue with this weak little pump) I have about half a ton of caulk around the airlines so I know there is no leak. It's frustrating at this point to say the least. I'm about to go Tim Taylor on this thing and hook it up to my air compressor! Grrr!!

I dunno man... is the airline firmly pushed onto the airpump output thing (ie no leaks on that end..)?

hmmm... maybe try mixing a small amount of dish soap and water in a spray bottle then spay areas where it may be leaking air. If air is escaping and it is a small leak... you should see soap bubbles. Be sure to spray while the pump is running. Good luck.

I made an air powered top off using a 120v pump. i had a small pump hooked up and it had to pump up about 3.5 feet and couldnt do it. It actually requires a decent air pump to pump up any kind of height. Mine isnt even air tight. Which helps it from pumping more than needed. As soon as the pump turns off the water stops flowing because of the air leaks at the bottle.

I found out why my pump was weak. The little diaphram type thing in the outlet side of the pump was broken. I'm gonna try to replace it with something like a piece of a latex glove. Hopefully that will work. Obviously with the cut wires and sloppy soldering I can't return the pump at this point. LOL. We'll see...

this is a non mechanical vacum ato the only thing is the container needs to be crush proof for it to work

Thats been around for a long long time and needs to be above the tank. If your air tube comes loose or gets out of the water you will have a flood and your SG will be off. This way of topping off can be stashed in the stand/ out of sight and you can put in a second (fail safe) switch in.

• 2 weeks later...