Pod Your Reef

Wet's Battery powered air top-off...$10.

Undertheradar

• 3 weeks later...

UTR, are there any other diy's you have come up with? I built the Radar skimmer, and the battary powered auto top off is on my next list. By the way the skimmer works wonderfull, and thank you for sharing your ideas it helps make this hobby even more fun!:) Dave

Undertheradar

Geeez, I have made a nano-reactor...stands...skimmer...top-off...diy halide with the regent fixture...plenty of refugiums...diy PC striplight (take 3" white PVC and slice it down the middle for a nice reflector)...for the most part I make things when the need them. Like using brochure holders that retailers use...cut them in half, drill them, and use them as overflow boxes. I have made tanks that are almost all DIY...in fact most of mine are. The only things that cant be DIYed are pumps and heaters (nor would they be worth it for obvious reasons). Recently I have had more need for little QT cubes, 3"x3"x4" that hang on the inside of the tank with multiple 3/8" holes drilled through. These make for a good area to introduce new critters...or do things like keep a pesky wandering anemone in...or do your shroom/ric fragging in w/o having the corals get lost. You get the picture.

I am also going to make a 'coral shelf' You know, when you run out of room on the bottom or have some frags you need to keep near the top? Well, it is a 6" long shelf that hangs on the inside, but w/o high side walls so they get alot of current. Nothing too brilliant however...

Otherwise, you will have to just do a search for old posts by 'wetworx101', and see all the crap that pops up.

• 5 months later...

sorry to beat a dead horse... but these stinkin' Duracell D's didn't even last a full month. Brand spankin' new batteries in this autotopoff, and I'm already on my 2nd pair of batteries.

I think I may wire an AC airpump this week. Oh well... bye-bye batteries.... hello AC outlet.

Undertheradar

Something isnt right then...maybe a wire crossed or something. I have been using the same pair of batteries for the last year. Im telllin' you, something isnt right. My ATO comes on once an hour or so for anywhere for about a minute...cant see how anyones could wear out so fast unless there was something wrong with the batteries or wiring. Rather than trash it you could just wire in a 3V cell phone charger like I had shown before...works fine.

naw, wiring is correct... it simply doesn't have enough 'oomph' to push the water up the 3-4 feet up to the tank anymore. I replaced the batteries with the other 2 D's that came in the 4 pack... and there is enough power to push the water into the tank. I guess that they have simply worn out.

Cell charger might be an option though.

Just out of curiosity, not not use the aqualifter pump? It does 1/8th of a gallon per hour, and I am sure it could throttle back a little (Using an airvalve) to make that a smaller amount per hour without putting too much stress on the pump itself.

• 1 month later...
Undertheradar

I dont know how simple you need this, so please forgive if i make it sound too simple. In a reef, we have evaporation. That evaporation can be dramatic in smaller reefs and hurt the creatures because the salinity goes up pretty fast. So we need a way to add fresh water as it evaporates. As the water level at some point in the system goes down from evaporation, there is a little float with a switch inside of it. When the float is up, the water level is high and so no water is added. When the float goes down, it completes an electrical circuit, connected to a pump of some sort and a tank of fresh water that is activated, filling the tank up with water again until the float rises up and turns off the pump until next time.

I'll order one too, as my DIY skills are craptastic. I want detailed instructions though, since my wife may be hooking this up (needs pretty pictures).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

UTR:

I think the "Radar" that someone used as RadarSkimmer in one of the volumnious posts on your thread should "stick". Your patience and helpfulness border on the superhuman or "saintly". Maybe even remeniscent of the beloved M.A.S.H. charachter.

I have followed the skimmer threads including the 45 page behemoth, and I am very impressed with your resourcefulness and diy capabilities ( tremendously informative ).

I only have 6 mos. on my 30 gallon hex reef. This forum and your threads have opened up more information and avenues of pursuit in reefkeeping than all the research and investigation that I have done "everywhere" else. Thanks, and keep up "the fun"!:teehee:

• 1 month later...

http://www.floatswitches.net/autotopoff.html

I came across this while looking for the float switch used in this DIY. This setup is a little more complicated then the one undertheradar (UTR) is walking us through. UTR's setup is just the switch, a battery operated pump, some airline and a reservoir to hold the top off water. I'll work up a simple diagram and post it later. This DIY is still on my to-do list so I don't have actual pics of the wiring with the pump and float switch but it shouldn't be too hard for you to imagine.

Thanks.

When the site got it's new look the old pics that were up didn't come back so I thought I'd do something productive with my time. There are more complicated top off's with a secondary float switch and relay and all that but I didn't want to get in that deep with my project so simplicity is good.