Need to do some serious coralline scrapping on the side

sidefits0624.jpg

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks sick as hell Brad.

+1

Thank you, I appreciate it. I think my moment of rage and ripping the tank apart has worked out for the better.

A1 said for sure they are getting SPS colonies in this Friday. omgomgomg

It has been an eventful 48 hours.Picked up 5 or 6 sps frags from rob and A1 friday night, few hours after that DC was hit with basically a mini hurricane and we were without power for 36 hours.

1sps0701.jpg

2sps0701.jpg

3sps0701.jpg

sps0701.jpg

• Like 1
albertthiel
It has been an eventful 48 hours.Picked up 5 or 6 sps frags from rob and A1 friday night, few hours after that DC was hit with basically a mini hurricane and we were without power for 36 hours.

Great looking frags ... hopefully the storm did not cause any damage due to the power outage.

teamschreiba

Man that must have really made for a tough 36 hours. Good to hear you got power back though, I only lost power for like 4 hours but it still seemed so stressful. I hope you didn't lose anything and it was great to see you again Friday night!

Thanks man, good to see you too. Cant wait to see your pics of the frags from Rob.

I am battling a big green hair algae war right now. Broke down and bought a small emerald crab this afternoon. I don't understand why the sudden algae outbreak, unless it is due to the rising temperatures.

albertthiel
Thanks man, good to see you too. Cant wait to see your pics of the frags from Rob.

I am battling a big green hair algae war right now. Broke down and bought a small emerald crab this afternoon. I don't understand why the sudden algae outbreak, unless it is due to the rising temperatures.

Maybe it's time to test your PO4 and do a water change IMO .... could be that for some reason even with low nutrients in the water but the higher temp that the algae just took off. I guess it's hair algae right ?

A good water change and maybe a GAC replacement IMO should take care of it for you and if you CUC's are low maybe add a few ... just my thoughts

Let me back up albertthiel here, test your PO4 and do a water change.

Nutrients in the water were sparked to grow under increasing temps.

What temp swing are we talking about here?

GHA, huh? Try lowering your temp by a degree or two if possible, fewer daylight hours, and of course, GFO! Good luck!

P.S. tank looks great!

oops almost forgot... step up the frequency and perhaps volume in terms of water changes (pardon my 2nd grader grammar skills).

I do 5 gallon (30%) water changes every week, but guess I should increase it.

The tank can get up to 82 degrees during the days of extreme heat, then drops to 77-78 when we are home with the AC on. Would it be better to place a fan by the tank, or just increase the overall temperature?

Lighting Schedule:

1:30-2:30 - crappy blue LED's in the Odyssea fixture

2:30-3:30 - crappy blue LED's and 2 ATI blue +

3:30-7:30 - all lights. Blue LED, 2 ATI blue +, purple plus, aquablue special

7:30-8:30 - blue LED and 2 ATI blue+

8:30-9:30 - blue LED

OFF

I've also read that burning out T5 bulbs can cause GHA, these are around 6-7 months old. Was trying to hold out buying bulbs since I ordered the Vega color.

Light Timers

Seem fine, you are not overlighting the tank.

Light life

I do not know abut t5 bulb life as I never had them before. I read 9 months is the spot most swap theirs.

Also there is no 100% date on the Vega color yet. The W/B/RB versiob maybe 1st with the Color in the months after. It is not 100% set in stone yet as to the release dates.

Temp

I would take both actions. Swings from 77-82 are not good. I would bump my heaters to keep the tank at 79 (up from 77) and use fans to bring the high end to hopefully 80 (from 82). This more consistent temps should keep everything else more stable. It is easier if your heaters and fans are on a controller like the APEX or RKL but I am unsure if you have one.

Might be temp swings prob not p04 if it just started, you wouldve had it for a little while by this point.

I have an apex, so I'll adjust my heaters and place a fan by the tank.

I thought the vega color was 100% shipping in August?

albertthiel
I do 5 gallon (30%) water changes every week, but guess I should increase it.

The tank can get up to 82 degrees during the days of extreme heat, then drops to 77-78 when we are home with the AC on. Would it be better to place a fan by the tank, or just increase the overall temperature?

Lighting Schedule:

1:30-2:30 - crappy blue LED's in the Odyssea fixture

2:30-3:30 - crappy blue LED's and 2 ATI blue +

3:30-7:30 - all lights. Blue LED, 2 ATI blue +, purple plus, aquablue special

7:30-8:30 - blue LED and 2 ATI blue+

8:30-9:30 - blue LED

OFF

I've also read that burning out T5 bulbs can cause GHA, these are around 6-7 months old. Was trying to hold out buying bulbs since I ordered the Vega color.

As bulbs age IME their spectrum will change and get lower than originally given or listed and at lower K degrees it is IME not uncommon that undesirable algae growth is promoted especially if nutrient levels in the water are high or a bit too high

Water changes and perhaps changing the bulb or waiting for the new light will more than likely IMO solve your problem.

When you pinch the water at the top of the aquarium with two fingers so that you get bubbles floating, do they pop immediately or to they float around for a while before popping

If they do that is usually IME a sign that your DOC may be too high, meaning too many nutrients in the water which then causes the algae to grow ... water changes or changing your GAC will help in solving this and a CUC crew to clean up the algae should take care of the rest IMO. FWIW

Albert

albertthiel
Hmm neat bubble trick Albert. I've never seen that used before, maybe I'll give it a try later.

Yes give it a try and if your water is really of high quality those bubbles pop immediately.

Albert

Bought a radion

wow someone's pretty nonchalant ;)

if I just got a radion id be more like:

#$*&$*( yes &^*&^^&%&&*^*&^!@$# raddddioooon

Archived