Pod Your Reef

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

It's hard to even have a conversation on here. It's like 12 at once.

I worked at van Huesen for 2 years. The main store in the family sells 70% of America's dress shirts.

Pro tip: the more expensive Calvin Klein jeans are the EXACT same jeans that van Huesen, bass, and Izod sell. It just labeled and priced differently. They also now own timberland and Tommy Hilfiger. I believe tommy is still in negotiation but some stores are being managed under pvh.

Kat, I think I'm gonna try to buy from that Harry guy you mentioned somewhere on nr. :)

jedimasterben
Kat, I think I'm gonna try to buy from that Harry guy you mentioned somewhere on nr. :)

I did. He's got killer prices on awesome SPS, I spent $155 (with shipping) for 8 pieces that I'm sure will be larger than listed at, which is a lot farther than the same amount would last at an LFS or, say, LA.

I did. He's got killer prices on awesome SPS, I spent $155 (with shipping) for 8 pieces that I'm sure will be larger than listed at, which is a lot farther than the same amount would last at an LFS or, say, LA.

I know! I picked out 6 items, 5 sps and a hammer. Just have to buy these 250 dollar uggs for the mrs Christmas present first. :wahh:

Deleted User 3

Geez! 250$! I need to buy boots for the winter but they're all $30plus and i dont have that right now.. so just gonna hope it doesn't snow much this year ! I can't imagine spending $250 on a pair of boots.. WTF lol.

I know! I picked out 6 items, 5 sps and a hammer. Just have to buy these 250 dollar uggs for the mrs Christmas present first. :wahh:

The walking company has really good prices on uggs. I was in the same boat. :huh:

LoL I spent 580 on coral this weekend and 1160 on christmas. Care to share your totals?

If you need some extra money you could always sell me those Emeralds :)

I made $60 on coral, then spent it on clothes today.

Orders with:

Big Al's

BRS (twice...don't get me started on the timing of their sales...)

Cultivated Reef omgomgomg

Milad

HeatsinkUSA

Newegg (Nexus 7 for the girlfriend who thank god does NOT like uggs)

Sam's Quickstop (Innis & Gunn for the girlfriend)

The walking company has really good prices on uggs. I was in the same boat. :huh:

Thanks :). I checked them out and it was the same price though. Total price with the best I could find winded up being 270.77 with tax and a care kit. :scarry:

I'm sure she'll be grateful though ;) One step closer to my Harry corals :)

I made $60 on coral, then spent it on clothes today.

I went shopping from 930 last night until 530 this morning and I wound up spending a whopping $2 on an iced tea. There were no good sales and I found a sloppy reticketing job. The original price in the msrp ticket was 97.00... They did a poor job of covering it up with a sticker that claimed the msrp was over $300 and the "discount" was 297. (Or somthiń along those lines). Either way, they were asking triple the amount above normal sales.

Thanks :). I checked them out and it was the same price though. Total price with the best I could find winded up being 270.77 with tax and a care kit. :scarry:

I'm sure she'll be grateful though ;) One step closer to my Harry corals :)

I bought the care kit on the first pair wife never uses it. They call them uggs because the men say ugg when we shell out the money for them.

Breaking news. I had about a gallon of saltwater left in the bucket which was mixed about 10+ days ago, let's say 2 weeks to round it out. Ive been testing my alk and calcium daily because of swings even with a doser and on a whim, I decided to test the saltwater in the bucket. To my utter shock the saltwater that has been sitting in a bucket and being circulated this whole time tested at 5.3 DKH!!! Yeah. calcium was 500.

I'm currently mixing a fresh batch which in the past has tested 9+. Forget the residue which red sea coral pro leaves behind in the bucket. I am again wondering what this salt does over time inside my reef. With weekly 10% changes, there is still 90% old water in the aquarium which is clearly less than standard or acceptable for parameters. Is it any wonder that my alkaline just cannot meet up with demands.

What could possibly cause ALK to fall in a bucket while calcium stays high?

I have no experience with the salt you are using. However, I had serious issues with Crystal Sea brand high cal salt I had used previously. It mixed at 500+ ca and 8 DKH alk. However, after mixing for 24 hours the alk would drop to 4 DKH. My only guess is the high ca present in the initial mix would precipitate the alk out over time. I just switched to Oceanic salt and never looked back. LOL

I read somewhere Maddevil1 was complaining about that salt. He said his dkh drops 1 a day. I read the thread you linked for Salinity salt. Mine always test really close to the bucket numbers. I have a fresh batch mixing up now. I will test it in the morning.

I've ordered a small package of ESV to test it out, most coral vendors mention that they use this salt so I am inclined to give it a try. I have used oceanic in the past with no problems, but then I never had SPS like I do now, and I also did not test like I do now.

My AlK was 9.5 yesterday and 7 today. Because I did not want the AlK to jump higher than 9.5, I shut off the doser for it yesterday. One day later, it has dropped this much.

The corals are fine right now but past experience has taught me that the SPS will brown out again. And that is sad because the pink bird had just started to get its hot pink color back.

Don't sweat the alk swings too much. The whole thing about not raising it more than 1 DKH in one day is crap. I've raised it 4 and 5 DKH instantly and never had any ill effects. So long as it doesn't get below 7 or above 12 you'll be fine.

Breaking news. I had about a gallon of saltwater left in the bucket which was mixed about 10+ days ago, let's say 2 weeks to round it out. Ive been testing my alk and calcium daily because of swings even with a doser and on a whim, I decided to test the saltwater in the bucket. To my utter shock the saltwater that has been sitting in a bucket and being circulated this whole time tested at 5.3 DKH!!! Yeah. calcium was 500.

I'm currently mixing a fresh batch which in the past has tested 9+. Forget the residue which red sea coral pro leaves behind in the bucket. I am again wondering what this salt does over time inside my reef. With weekly 10% changes, there is still 90% old water in the aquarium which is clearly less than standard or acceptable for parameters. Is it any wonder that my alkaline just cannot meet up with demands.

What could possibly cause ALK to fall in a bucket while calcium stays high?

Did you test with all three kits? If so, maybe time to switch (back?) to something old school and consistent like RC (or better, Oceanic). I'm falling off the fancy salt bandwagon personally.

Edited by Hypsophrys
jedimasterben

I never even got to the 'fancy' salt bandwagon. Regular Instant Ocean is good enough for me. I will have to dose calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium no matter what salt I use, and I add most trace elements back via Fuel dosing, so shelling out $40 for 175g of salt is good enough for me.

I never even got to the 'fancy' salt bandwagon. Regular Instant Ocean is good enough for me. I will have to dose calcium, alkalinity, and magnesium no matter what salt I use, and I add most trace elements back via Fuel dosing, so shelling out $40 for 175g of salt is good enough for me.

I uses what Liva Aquaria uses and what Dick Perrin at Tropicorium said everyone should use - IO reef crystals. 200Gallon mix is $50. Every time I test it I get Ca 500ppm and DKH around 10. Exactly what I keep my tank parameters at.

I bought the care kit on the first pair wife never uses it. They call them uggs because the men say ugg when we shell out the money for them.

I thought they were called uggs because they look like they belong on cavemen...

I uses what Liva Aquaria uses and what Dick Perrin at Tropicorium said everyone should use - IO reef crystals. 200Gallon mix is $50. Every time I test it I get Ca 500ppm and DKH around 10. Exactly what I keep my tank parameters at.

Hahahaha. At this point... Reef parameters are like greek to me. I don't remember any of the norms. pH around 8.2? Good enough for me!

Hahahaha. At this point... Reef parameters are like greek to me. I don't remember any of the norms. pH around 8.2? Good enough for me!

Your macro has outgrown my 125 ! So much I have started a dedicated Macro grow out 55, KGOLDY Style. I promise to never do water changes and measure parameters once every few years.

Edited by ZephNYC