inTank Media Baskets

Kat's Ol' Max

metrokat

The City formerly known as NooYawk henceforth will be The City that shall not be named NooYawk.

whatEVer!

...these streets will make you feel brand new...
:wacko:

You'll laugh at me but it's been I've been dreaming all night of running alk tests and forgetting to do water changes, and thinking I added salt to my RO water when I added KALK. I haven't been stressed about the tank, just worried enough to be dreaming about it I guess.

I've got 20% water change on the burner.

IMO once something starts haunting you in your sleep you're bound to solve it. They say we reach resolution in our dreams much better than we do consciously. /pseudoscience

whatEVer!

:wacko:

IMO once something starts haunting you in your sleep you're bound to solve it. They say we reach resolution in our dreams much better than we do consciously. /pseudoscience

No joke, I learned my 7 times tables in my sleep as a kid. I still remember the dream.

Reminds me of the series "Awake" that just finished it's first season. He has 2 alternate lives, wakes up in one and gets clues to solve crimes when he wakes up in the other. Maybe my strontium epiphany happened in my dreams. :blink:

I can't remember if anyone has posted this one here: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/index.php

Nano Sapiens previously described the situation which RHF talks about in section "Apparent Excess Demand for Alkalinity" This is what as going on IMO. If you raise your calcium to ~450 with a 2-part, your alkalinity should appear to rise much faster in proportion. Similarly alk will apparently drop much faster as your corals consume them, but it is just an illusion. Hope this helps reinforce your current trajectory.

Sorry for the serious post! ;)

Edited by Hypsophrys
I can't remember if anyone has posted this one here: http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/index.php

Nano Sapiens previously described the situation which RHF talks about in section "Apparent Excess Demand for Alkalinity" This is what as going on IMO. If you raise your calcium to ~450 with a 2-part, your alkalinity should appear to rise much faster in proportion. Similarly alk will apparently drop much faster as your corals consume them, but it is just an illusion. Hope this helps reinforce your current trajectory.

Sorry for the serious post! ;)

Kat just upgraded from dreams to nightmares.

Kat just upgraded from dreams to nightmares.

:lol: Naw, I'm good. I had nightmares the day I installed my sump. Didn't sleep all night.

Ian: That was a great article. I like RHF, wish he would reply on RC to me.

BTW that article shows a Stylopora incorrectly labeled Pocilopora.

I thought this was worth book marking:

Magnesium and strontium enter the calcium carbonate structure in place of calcium, reducing the amount of calcium required for a given amount of carbonate. Consequently, the aquarium is skewed toward less calcium demand and more towards alkalinity demand for this reason.

:lol: Naw, I'm good. I had nightmares the day I installed my sump. Didn't sleep all night.

Ian: That was a great article. I like RHF, wish he would reply on RC to me.

Yeah he's just too good for us nano peons I guess. :P

BTW that article shows a Stylopora incorrectly labeled Pocilopora.

Ok that's worse than me. I do sometimes confuse the green stylos and poccis.

I thought this was worth book marking:

Magnesium and strontium enter the calcium carbonate structure in place of calcium, reducing the amount of calcium required for a given amount of carbonate. Consequently, the aquarium is skewed toward less calcium demand and more towards alkalinity demand for this reason.

Right that's the main exception. I just wouldn't get too hung up on it. But that is probably why I end up dosing slightly more of B-Ionic part A (alk) than B. When I had tanks with high demand, where I was dosing 5-10mL(+) per day, I would dose A, then do B about 5 minutes later. Because I was adding so much at once and kept my levels high, I could just dose B until I saw a teeny bit of precip (the blurry liquid would go slightly milky and then a few particles would form). This always happened at like 4.5mL of B compared to 5mL of A. So I've just taken the hint and do more of A now.

But this seems to confirm what he's said previously: dose both and any excess will precip out as calcium carbonate.

tl;dr: it shouldn't cause skryrocketing calcium levels even if you dose them equally to the level that keeps alk where you want it. If it does though, you can do what I do and use slightly less B.

Also notice that he singles out B-Ionic as having that 19.2ppm to 2.8dKH ratio....

I know you have poccilopora/acropora crabs. How big of a coral do you think I would need to add one? I can't seem to find anything about it.

I loved my Pocillpora crab. Unlike with Acros the crab didn't seem to cause it to have less polyp extension. In my NC12 I had a yellow acro and a green Pocillopora that were both a little larger than a golf ball. Both had a crab. The Acro had zero PE and the Poci was fuzzy all the time.

Look what I found! The back of my big emerald green Zoanthid colony has some polps of green with orange centers, I'm pretty sure they are Green Bay Packers. Now that is a touchdown! :happydance:

IMG_9916.JPG

Gimongous Yumas from Zeph.

IMG_9920.JPG

Just a glimpse of my hearthrob Draco

IMG_9921.JPG

Happy Brain coral :)

IMG_9925.JPG

I know you have poccilopora/acropora crabs. How big of a coral do you think I would need to add one? I can't seem to find anything about it.

Bandit loves to be able to hide completely. He feels really exposed otherwise.

Bandit's Walk of Shame

Oh! I just noticed the proximity of the big green emerald zoanthid colony to the SPS! doh. That one rock has about 6 SPS on it with those zoanthids. I've been meaning to frag the zoanthids but I'm terrified. Anybody have any pointers? Kris?

Thanks. I think I'll let it grow a bit more before I buy one.

I HATE fragging zoas with a passion especially on porous rock. Maybe I'm over cautious, but I would make them close up and superglue over the creeping polyps if it's that close to the stonies. Usually you could just run carbon but it would have to affect the sps before it got filtered out.

All my halimedia died, started to grow back, then turned white and died again when it was only 1 or 2 sections long. :(

Awesome pics as always, Kat. That brain is fat and happy but mama needs to do some Halimeda pruning anyway. :D

Yea, also some re arranging is in order. I was thinking of putting the brain coral in the sump. Not sure yet.

Thanks. I think I'll let it grow a bit more before I buy one.

I HATE fragging zoas with a passion especially on porous rock. Maybe I'm over cautious, but I would make them close up and superglue over the creeping polyps if it's that close to the stonies. Usually you could just run carbon but it would have to affect the sps before it got filtered out.

All my halimedia died, started to grow back, then turned white and died again when it was only 1 or 2 sections long. :(

Hang in there, test calcium. No reason for a calcerous algae to die other than calcium deficiency.

Your tanks is happy! Congrats on the new green bay packers zoas. Do you have a full tank shot and on the side shot? I wanna check your tank out!

Thank you David. Maybe ill take new FTS and side views tomorrow. I've been enjoying taking macros, need to change my lens.

Date Calcium dKH Notes 1 Notes 2

8/6/2012 470 8.0

8/13/2012 490 8.2

8/19/2012 250 6.1 KALK+2, Part A no WC 10+ days

8/26/2012 300 8.3 KALK+2, Part A

9/2/2012 320 8.2 KALK+2, Part A

9/3/2012 300 8.3 Stopped KALK Corals pissed off

9/5/2012 360 7.0 15 hours after WC

9/6/2012 350 6.1 Before WC

9/6/2012 350 6.4 3 hours after WC

9/7/2012 350 6.4 14 Hours after WC

9/8/2012 350 6.1 1.5 days after WC

9/9/2012 345 5.1 before WC , 20% change done after

Just did the 20% change. Was going to do it last night but decided to wait till this morning to see the parameters.

jedimasterben
Date Calcium dKH Notes 1 Notes 2

8/6/2012 470 8.0

8/13/2012 490 8.2

8/19/2012 250 6.1 KALK+2, Part A no WC 10+ days

8/26/2012 300 8.3 KALK+2, Part A

9/2/2012 320 8.2 KALK+2, Part A

9/3/2012 300 8.3 Stopped KALK Corals pissed off

9/5/2012 360 7.0 15 hours after WC

9/6/2012 350 6.1 Before WC

9/6/2012 350 6.4 3 hours after WC

9/7/2012 350 6.4 14 Hours after WC

9/8/2012 350 6.1 1.5 days after WC

9/9/2012 345 5.1 before WC , 20% change done after

Just did the 20% change. Was going to do it last night but decided to wait till this morning to see the parameters.

I smell something fishy with your parameters. Pun intended. :D

I spent some time fixing the tank, pruning halimeda and Blue Ochtodes. Also fixed my wiring hotch-potch. It is a lot neater. Moved my ATO also. I seem to have lost connectivity to my APEX in the unplugging and re-plugging of outlets. TS will have to fix that for me. I've been wanting to get a live video feed of the tank for ages, not sure when he will work on that.

Will test water parameters in a few hours. The B-Ionic Doser guy is not returning my messages. WTF.