Innovative Marine Aquariums

Mangrove Island

Giga

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the compliments, I know I know 12 pages no water just with recovering and getting a new job just took all my time, and money. I'm finishing up the foam/epoxy/macro rock tower then let it fully cure for about a week then off to get salt!

Here's a closer pic of the mangroves

p20111004114854.jpg

So, the plan is to let the mangroves grow in the pots? Will they eventually spread out and start to root in the water or are you looking for more of a canopy of mangroves than than the root web?

So, the plan is to let the mangroves grow in the pots? Will they eventually spread out and start to root in the water or are you looking for more of a canopy of mangroves than than the root web?

The black mangroves grow in a pvc pot in a sand/clay loam. Black Mangrove grow Pneumatophores which are roots that grow up from the mud like fingers. Im hopping that in a few month some Pneumatophores will start to grow. The reds are the ones that grow the "walking" roots ur talking about. The red I have will be placed around the island in various spots and aloud to grow-much like my last setup. But yes I am going to try and get a canopy over the island

So I just finished the island and letting everything cure. So over been thing about what I want to replace the Japanese spotlight, I can't find the Mh bulbs anymore so I most likly build a led light as par bulb are too pricey. I'm most likly gonna get my leds from http://www.ledgroupbuy.com since they have good prices. Here the fixture I put the leds onto, I've had this sitting for awhile-finaly gonna finish it

led002.jpg

led006.jpg

love your work, i look forward to seeing your progress. Every time i see neat new builds it makes me want to start another!!

Any plans for livestock? mmmm

• 2 weeks later...

I gonna add water at the beginning of next month, I know gonna add a small mantis. Other then that, not sure, I'm thinking about adding a few different damsels because they're cheap and colorful. That way if the mantis takes one its not a huge deal. also gonna add a few larger sps and softies.

Keep up the good work. It's coming together really nicely.

Your tank is starting to light a fire under my @$$ to get my bonsai up and running.

Archived