ReefCleaners.org

Mangrove Island

Giga

can't wait to see those things taking over your tank!

you and me both-There should look cool in 6 months!

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who the hell cares about mangroves this much? It's not like they do anything for our environment.....

;)

Awesome build, I'm following!

I though you were serious at first. Then my brain kicked in :P

What is your fish plan?

I'm not sure, some sort of cheaper school fish as they may be taken out by the mantis I don't want to lose a 50$ fish to a mantis. I'm also gonna let my wife chose, since the tank is in the living room and she has to look at it too, it's nice to have my significant other involved.

Also about the light tree I can't remember where I got the l brackets. the 1" square pipe is from Lowes. I'll have to look because I got them some time ago.

NirvanaandTool

Woo mangroves! Cant wait to see them grown in and a mantis roaming through them.

For mantis safe fish, go for chromis. Peaceful enough not to go after the mantis like a damsel would and fast moving enough to avoid strikes. I've only lost 1 to my small mantis and my larger mantis shows no interest in them.

I'm not sure, some sort of cheaper school fish as they may be taken out by the mantis I don't want to lose a 50$ fish to a mantis. I'm also gonna let my wife chose, since the tank is in the living room and she has to look at it too, it's nice to have my significant other involved.

Also about the light tree I can't remember where I got the l brackets. the 1" square pipe is from Lowes. I'll have to look because I got them some time ago.

Very nice! I sent you a pm. Did you get it?

Very nice! I sent you a pm. Did you get it?

Yeah I got your pm-it's why I responded in the thread

on another note things are good and bad for the mangroves

The reds and black seem to be thriving-new growth since last update

imag0312h.jpg

imag0311u.jpg

Much to my dismay I think all my whites are withering away despite everything I'm trying-two years waiting trying to find these and there dying on me :angry: I'm guessing there just two small

imag0310s.jpg

on another note things are good and bad for the mangroves

The reds and black seem to be thriving-new growth since last update

imag0312h.jpg

imag0311u.jpg

Much to my dismay I think all my whites are withering away despite everything I'm trying-two years waiting trying to find these and there dying on me :angry: I'm guessing there just two small

imag0310s.jpg

are white mangrove more difficult to grow from seed or getting them big i know a place that i can get mines

Fishfreak218

you probably already know this, but i remember learning that white mangroves are less salt tolerant than red/black mangroves. could that be a factor?

you probably already know this, but i remember learning that white mangroves are less salt tolerant than red/black mangroves. could that be a factor?

they have just a good salt tolerance as black-they can be found in tide zones as well. I've been dealing with plants for a long time and what I can tell is that they are just in shock from being mailed. There just too young, I think, to handle the shock.

Sorry I didn't see that :happy: . Also sucks about the whites. Hopefully they make a comeback.

285541_10150261434676380_801491379_7244224_7284953_n.jpg

284218_10150261434841380_801491379_7244227_5918063_n.jpg

that's actually a pretty good representation of what my tank will look like. Old trees with a very shallow tank.

that's actually a pretty good representation of what my tank will look like. Old trees with a very shallow tank.

hehehe well i saw that pic in my phone that i took last semester of ecology class

The water there was scorching hot the mud was smelly and sticky but the mangroves love that they where growing like crazy those where dwarf version of the ones that i saw at the shore line the even throwing seed hehehehe. When the flood times comes the lagoon fills up like 2ft and fish come to spawn in the mangroves.

• 2 weeks later...

been crazy busy and havn't had time to work on the tank but I did get a little done

Changed my tank around and gonna use a canaister filter now, tubes not hung yet-bought from teamschreiba

imag0323.jpg

Surface skimmer-slightly modified

imag0325q.jpg

my 250W

imag0324n.jpg

growth from post #157 as you can tell Blacks grow really fast compared to reds already has two sets of leaves out.(2 weeks growth)

imag0320x.jpg

Before

imag0312h.jpgimag0311u.jpg

thought this was a really cool shot

imag0318d.jpg

Archived