SaltCritters.com

Mangrove Island

Giga

Yay! Glad to see this tank going.
This makes me happy. Glad to have you back
Glad to see your back bud looks really good again.

Thank you!

Giga, I was curious about your build. I was sad to see it go the first time around and maybe I should of mentioned something at the start of it but I am more of a lurker here than anything.

Did you ever put thought into using Drift roots (trimmed to your liking) and placing the mangroves on that (either just on top and hollow out an area on top and put holes on the sides for the root system to go down or use the bonsai branch method of just tying down branches (roots in this case) to the drift wood roots?)

I rescaped, and rescaped, and rescaped, trying things like this, I havn't been able to find anything I like-I'm still messing with it so I might come up with something sooner or later

Awesome. Your black mangroves are growing really nice. I will have my mangrove tank up in running in 2 days! ... Well atlas it will have water in it lol. I hope mine is even somewhat close to as nice as yours. I'm just waiting for the mangroves to arrive. I found a nursery that sells mangroves at almost full size! I'm just debating whether to get red or black mangroves. They have white as well but white grows too far inland to deal with 100% saltwater.

Ps don't skip on Your updates.

Just know that black mangrove need a substrate to grow in and can't be fully emerged to grow long term. They are much tougher and WAY faster growers then reds but need something to grow in. Then the sand/mud can be somewhat samerged. Also all require bright light to be healthy and grow long term. Can't wait to see the tank make sure you post a link on here or something

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just relized I don't have any mangrove pics up

Black mangrove growing like crazy

blackmangrove.jpg

Red are much much slower growings, but most of them have multiple branches,one has 6!

redmangrove.jpg

some coral-my only acan I grew from one head

acan.jpg

Orange cap-about doubled in size since i've had it-might get rid of it as not a huge fan of caps

capyjf.jpg

Unknown SPS but grows super think branches and has encrusted nicely also is starting to turn green and pink at the tips(was poop brown)-pic came out weird but you can see the rose millie and frogskin acro

spsp.jpg

tank looks great. dont know if you remember me but i bought your ada 60f and finally got it set up and just added 5 red mangroves today

mygolfisslow

Good to see you back at it. Love your tank. I have a few mangroves in my display. I have only had them for a month or so but they are slowly growing. How long have you had your reds.

tank looks great. dont know if you remember me but i bought your ada 60f and finally got it set up and just added 5 red mangroves today

sweet glad the tanks working out for you, love to see the pic of the mangroves.

Glad to see you're back! Your tank is looking great too :happy:

Thank you!

Good to see you back at it. Love your tank. I have a few mangroves in my display. I have only had them for a month or so but they are slowly growing. How long have you had your reds.

I can't remember about 6-8 months I think, Though I've had the blacks around 1.5 years

So went to the pet store to get my dog some food and saw this mini colony for 40$ why thank you very much :happy:

20120322180020.jpg

Also had this thing on the underneath-anyone know if its good or bad has a big black skirt with a hard shell on top like a slug

20120322181752.jpg

20120322181837.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
fidler crab?

yep you got the obvious one! :happy: He's completely burrowed into the mud and put a mud door up, now I can't see him -_-

Jacob042426

I this tank is amazing! am going to set up something similar. Mangroves are awesome, can you imagine my pico in a larger scale... :)

How many gallons is this?

Archived