Cultivated Reef

Mangrove Island

Giga

So my mantis died for no reason :( but in good news the tank is starting to look kinda good. Small clean up crew in there now. Going on vacation for 5 days hoping the tank does alright. When I get back I'm going to start adding more livestock, gonna make this a reef tank now that the mantis is gone.

FTS, don't mind the ac20 and the over saturated cell phone pic

imag0032wi.jpg

Close up of the red/black Mangrove canopy that's comming together

imag0029gp.jpg

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry to hear about the mantis :(

I'm looking forward to the reef tank though.

^^Same here!

Are you ever going to get rid of that white bowl? Or is that just something that the plants are going to grow over?

^^Same here!

Are you ever going to get rid of that white bowl? Or is that just something that the plants are going to grow over?

Yeah I'm going to hide it when I get back-yeah kinda a eye sore,also thanks for the kind words.

• 2 weeks later...

Just so you know I'm not gonna be posting in this thread anymore as I feel the thread is not really followed and I don't think I potrayed my tank well. The tank is gonna still be running and more livestock added but I'm not sure If i'm gonna be on nano-reef for a few months as I got a lot going on with work and life. I will start a new thread down the road with this tank and with all the major updates that are comming it's way. I might get on now and then but till then I will see you all later

This is one SUPER cool tank! I would love to have a tank like this. I'm only sad I found it too late to follow the build....

How big is the tank? It would be really cool to have some school master snapper or other fish which live on both reefs and mangrove swamps!

• 2 months later...

So disregard my new thread-I was gonna try a Adin approach to thing, but then I just figured i'd reopen this thread. I got a great new job things settle down and I now can focus on my tank

So i'm just about down with my LED fixture and I'm useing Some new more powerful version of the original Bridgelux Leds i was gonna use- These will run from 0-100W at 120lm per watt .The diy board I have will only put it to 70W but it's WAY to bright so i'm running them only at 50W. There are alos Orsam deep red, 420 violet,turquise,blue and xte royal blue, This pic is running them at 200ma

ledpreview.jpg

Rescape FTS

20120315184111.jpg

20120315174043.jpg

Gonna make this a almost all sps

20120315184349.jpg

some cool night shots

nightstag.jpg

nightwaves.jpg

Giga, I was curious about your build. I was sad to see it go the first time around and maybe I should of mentioned something at the start of it but I am more of a lurker here than anything.

Did you ever put thought into using Drift roots (trimmed to your liking) and placing the mangroves on that (either just on top and hollow out an area on top and put holes on the sides for the root system to go down or use the bonsai branch method of just tying down branches (roots in this case) to the drift wood roots?)

How bout some fishes-Also had a super fa,t eat anything I threw in the tank, mandrin-but he went carpet surfing :angry:

Rainfords goby

20120316185615.jpg

Best I could get these two(chromis and clown)

20120316190322.jpg

ever cryptic ruby cardinal

imag0080kd.jpg

I plan on getting a small school of blue eyes in a week or two

The black mangroves roots are starting to take off(pneumatophore not in focus :huh: )

20120316190438.jpg

Awesome. Your black mangroves are growing really nice. I will have my mangrove tank up in running in 2 days! ... Well atlas it will have water in it lol. I hope mine is even somewhat close to as nice as yours. I'm just waiting for the mangroves to arrive. I found a nursery that sells mangroves at almost full size! I'm just debating whether to get red or black mangroves. They have white as well but white grows too far inland to deal with 100% saltwater.

Ps don't skip on Your updates. :D

Archived