Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Mangrove Island

Giga

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks rehype-I've been useing my cellphone so the pic don't even compare to your shots!

On another note I've been debating about takeing out the fish and adding another mantis-as 3 lfs in my area have differnt mantis and they are very tempting.

Also I want to add mrle sand to my tank-can I do this or will it cuase problems and I only have a light layer and my pumps keep blowing the edges back and it's anoying the crap out of me. Also order 2 T5's for my led light as I wanted to add more light for the mangroves-most likly gonna get blue plus as they give great par with a nice blue light

I got a few cool shots today some top down

birdsnest growing like wildfire, all those branches are new

dsc02478gy.jpg

This guy has doubled in size too

dsc02479lt.jpg

This is acro. humilis and it whats left of that big colony I got for 40-it stn'ed for no reason-at least it's coloring up now-you can also see Mr. fiddler fiddling around

dsc02480u.jpg

Frogskin acro is a little bit slower in growth but cool color

dsc02481id.jpg

My fav acro forgot the name off the bat, but I really like the thick growth

dsc02482td.jpg

Acan

dsc02485r.jpg

Rose millie also encrusting fast

dsc02488x.jpg

This guy is getting bolder and bolder

dsc02491s.jpg

pneumatophores or unmentionables-you decided :huh: ............................... :lol:

2" tall

dsc02474cu.jpg

1/4" tall

dsc02476eg.jpg

You had me at 2" :lol:

isn't 2" the norm? :huh:

Holy crap giga that vivarium is insane...

Thank you! I've always love vivariums but never made one so I'm making one from scratch-it's a little taller then me and will be filled with lots or micro orchids, colorful bromilieads, ferns and mosses. I was gonna fill it will thumbnail poison dart frogs but my wife doesn't feel comfortable with them in the house with our dogs and kids around the corner. So I decided that it's gonna house some sort of rare tropical preying mantis. I thought about starting a thread on here but I don't get a lot of responses on this thread so I most likely won't

here's one of the micro orchids-Pleurothallis grobyi

dsc02470tx.jpg

really want that rose mili

yeah that one of my fave sps and I'm glad it's doing well and growing fast.

just a little update-these guys are taken over this mangrove

Is that good or bad?

I think we need a new fts....

good as in the wild all kinds of crazy things grow on mangroves-maybe i'll get a new one when the lights turn on :happy:

so working on the viv look what i did

dsc02503i.jpg

Freakin droped the drill in the tank and it went crashing through :angry::angry::angry:

Also have a new fts for tonight when I get home from work

Sorry to see the drill go thru the glass. It happens to the best of us. I just got my mangrove tank up and runnig a week ago and a seam in the plumbing started to leak but finally got it fixed. So I know how you feel.

so working on the viv look what i did

dsc02503i.jpg

Freakin droped the drill in the tank and it went crashing through :angry::angry::angry:

Also have a new fts for tonight when I get home from work

awww man that sucks giga. :(

animalmaster6
So I decided that it's gonna house some sort of rare tropical preying mantis. I thought about starting a thread on here but I don't get a lot of responses on this thread so I most likely won't

That sounds really awesome. me and I'm sure many others would love to see it. If you don't want to do a new thread why not put it in this thread too.

I guess ill start a thread, I've been crazy busy at work but I should be able to post that fts and start the new thread

New FTS-not much has changed and I don't really like the red mangrove in there as they are distracting from the tank. Gonna get another tank for them once I move with a mantis

dsc02507v.jpg

Check this out this guy has started to get a red base! Also look at all that growth on the frogskin and PE. Funny thing is I have no skimmer,sump, never tested anything(ever!), use a canister filter,5 fish and just do water changes :lol:

dsc02514uq.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So looks like I'm following rehype in my tank as this tank is going down. I have just to much on my plate to take care of the tank. I'm buying a new house and moving in 5 months.haveing a baby, taking care of two dogs( Irish wolfhound and a great Dane) and working like there's no tomorrow. So maybe after things settle down in my new house I'll start a new tank and such. Till then thanks to all those who followed this tank!

Jacob042426

what?!?!?!?!?!?!

nooooo!

keep this tank up. your at a point where the mangroves will take care of all the filteration, thats how my pico is. get rid of your fish so you wont have to feed and then all you have to do is top off.

what?!?!?!?!?!?!

nooooo!

keep this tank up. your at a point where the mangroves will take care of all the filteration, thats how my pico is. get rid of your fish so you wont have to feed and then all you have to do is top off.

I still debating this but I feel it th right choice as there's a lot of stuff to do with buying my first house then moving. And working and taking care of a family. I won't be getting rid of the mangroves as they will just be put in a bucket with lights on them to keep them going. I'm torn but I just don't have the time so anyone in the Virginia beach area I have the coral for sale just let me know

Jacob042426

what about putting them in a smaller tank and keeping the corals too? small tanks are easier maitince and mangroves will have more of a presence in filtration.

Archived