Cultivated Reef

Mangrove Island

Giga

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is going to look awesome; I may be stealing your "Rock Island" idea though, for my shallow, just so you know ;)

Take as many ideas as you want B)

Interesting build. Subscribed. Cant wait to see it set up with a O Scyllarus mantis shrimp.

That's my goal, but finding one in my area is really really hard- I might compromise and get one that I can find :lol:

NirvanaandTool
That's my goal, but finding one in my area is really really hard- I might compromise and get one that I can find :lol:

Oh I understand that dilemma. It took me about a year to finally have my LFS find me a small smasher (I wanted a non-peacock sized mantis). Then shortly after that he got in the G. Chiragra I have in my most recent setup with the G. Viridis in the fuge. I'm currently setting up a larger tank for a O. Scyllarus and pretty much assume the tank may be mantis-less for quite some time as I locate a peacock.

Just make sure you get something that is active. My G. Viridis is so reclusive that I barely see him, my Chiragra (if it is a Chiragra) is incredibly active and is out a lot for a mantis shrimp.

Diver's Den gets O. Scyllarus in from time to time. Lately its been mostly L. Maculata's coming through though.

Diver's Den gets O. Scyllarus in from time to time. Lately its been mostly L. Maculata's coming through though.

actually sealifeinc.net and reefcleaners(if the site ever goes back up) are where I would buy a mantis if I was forced to order one. They don't have Scyllarus but other cool species that would work just as well

This is the only tank build I'm subscribing to, ever. Love it.

I only wish I discovered your first mangrove tank for inspiration before I started setting up my own tanks.

This is the only tank build I'm subscribing to, ever. Love it.

I only wish I discovered your first mangrove tank for inspiration before I started setting up my own tanks.

thank you!

NirvanaandTool
actually sealifeinc.net and reefcleaners(if the site ever goes back up) are where I would buy a mantis if I was forced to order one. They don't have Scyllarus but other cool species that would work just as well

Yea sealife gets N. Wennerae, P. Ciliata, N. Oerstedii & occasionally N. Curacaoensis. I've taked to Ken Nedimyer about collecting them and he said its kind of seasonal but they normally can get them pretty easily. Best bet is to call or email his daughter Kara and ask what they have or can get you.

Yea sealife gets N. Wennerae, P. Ciliata, N. Oerstedii & occasionally N. Curacaoensis. I've taked to Ken Nedimyer about collecting them and he said its kind of seasonal but they normally can get them pretty easily. Best bet is to call or email his daughter Kara and ask what they have or can get you.

I'll most likely do that but my tank is a little way off

NirvanaandTool
I'll most likely do that but my tank is a little way off

So hurry up and finish it :P

You are further along than my O. Scyllarus build. I've only got a tank, sump, and a unfinished stand.

I'm trying to- I still can't work because of my injury so money is a little tight, as soon as my ps3 sells I can at least get water in the thing-unless people want to donate stuff to a wounded vet :happy:

just don't shine that small sun of an led in my eyes B)

or my own-it has a class 2 warning on it, I'm most likely gonna have to make blinders so I don't see them from my couch

I'm about to get my little return pump for the AIO section and want something cheap,small and reliable. I was thinking about a maxi900-but have never used a maxi jet before-can anyone tell me if this is a silent good pump?

My maxi-jet 900 started making a little bit of noise after a year of use. Maxi 1200 is just a hum. Though my big 900+ gph Ehiem is just as quiet. If you want ninja silence, go Ehiem.

My maxi-jet 900 started making a little bit of noise after a year of use. Maxi 1200 is just a hum. Though my big 900+ gph Ehiem is just as quiet. If you want ninja silence, go Ehiem.

Yeah my ehiem 1250 was so quiet that I checked it sometimes to make sure it was still runnimg. The only thing is ehiem are to big and ehiem are very pricey

NirvanaandTool

I never had any problems with the MaxiJet 900 I used for the return on my old Solana. Got the job done and was nice and quiet

Looking real good Giga.

Thanks! Just wish my PS3 would sell so I can buy some more stuff to at least get this thing cycling. With being injured and just my wife working right now makes $ tight and very frustrating all the way around :angry:

Archived