SaltCritters.com

The Arid Sea

nevermore1701

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nevermore1701

I assumed it was just a friction fit, but it's on there pretty good. I haven't yet arrived at a solution that I'm happy with (though there are several that aren't so good :P).

Would be so easy if it was a dry tank <_<

nevermore1701
Where's the fun in that?

Will you fix my plumbing too?

Dirty! :lol:

Yeah...with my luck I'd knock the whole wall out trying to remove that one piece. There has to be another way!

There's a way, just haven't found it yet :P

nevermore1701

No real news, just happy that everything survived my weekend out of town with no ill effects. Since the LFS can't (or won't) get me a Royal Gramma, I'm considering just getting a regular Oc clown to go with my B&W Oc.

nevermore1701

Went to LFS to get a normal clown, guess what they didn't have. Sigh.

Got a couple of rocks instead. They didn't have dry, so I got some live and am boiling them now. Will put them in and hopefully get everything set during today's water change.

nevermore1701

Why did I feel the need to boil "live, cured rock", that's ready to plop right in the tank? Well I didn't think to take pre-boiling pics that would show the forest of aiptasia, but here's a post boil, pre H2O2 bath pic of one of the rocks:

IMG_3983.JPG

:rolleyes:

Went to LFS to get a normal clown, guess what they didn't have. Sigh.

Got a couple of rocks instead. They didn't have dry, so I got some live and am boiling them now. Will put them in and hopefully get everything set during today's water change.

You need a better LFS :lol: Move to Austin or Dallas already!

Did that rock really stink when you boiled it? I'd imagine it wasn't pleasant!!!!

nevermore1701
You need a better LFS :lol: Move to Austin or Dallas already!

Did that rock really stink when you boiled it? I'd imagine it wasn't pleasant!!!!

Ya think maybe?! :lol:

It had a bit of a seafood smell to it, but really the smell wasn't that bad. Boiled the rocks for about 10 minutes each, and am soaking them in hydrogen peroxide for about the same time, then I'll rinse, soak in tap water, and rinse again. Yeah, I'm paranoid, don't want any of the nasties from the store in my tank!

nevermore1701

Nah, I didn't heat up the rock with the water, just plunked it in once there was a good boil going, I think that helped. Was fun watching 40+ aiptasia all instantly dissolve though :lol:

Nah, I didn't head up the rock with the water, just plunked it in once there was a good boil going, I think that helped. Was fun watching 40+ aiptasia all instantly dissolve though :lol:

I bet you got great satisfaction out of that :lol:

nevermore1701

After the months of fighting my aiptasia infestation, going through 3 peppermint shrimp and what must have been almost a gallon of lemon juice, I did cackle with maniacal glee watching them die :haha:

Wasn't there ever a time in your reefing career when you were giddy about seeing "coral" (aptasia) on your rocks???? I have to admit to that :lol: Back when I was an uber noob :lol:

nevermore1701

Yep, that's why it was so tough to get rid of! The tank was FOWLR with a yellowtail blue damsel for about 9 months, so I didn't care about them, as they were something on the rocks and I had nothing for them to irritate. Once I wanted to get real coral though, I had a fight on my hands omgomgomg

nevermore1701

Well, the new rocks are in, and it looks... different!

My goal was to increase availible rock space for future coral addition, and in that regard, I suceeded perfectly! We'll see if I like the look or not, I'm sure some minor changes will be taking place, oh, about every 10 minutes :lol:

nevermore1701

That'll be sometime next year I'm sure :P

I'll try to get a few pics in an hour or so after everything clears up from the water change.

nevermore1701

Not a lot of pictures, as they're not real clear because the water hasn't completely settled yet.

Crappy FTS:

IMG_3985.JPG

Better side shot:

IMG_3996.JPG

Trying to show the two new rocks in the back (they're white from the boiling and H2O2 bath):

IMG_3993.JPG

Purpling!

IMG_3986.JPG

Archived