Coral Vue Hydros

The Arid Sea

nevermore1701

nevermore1701

Don't know what happened, but it sucked. Did my usual water change, and the next day I lost my urchin, both green and white striped nano starfish, several snails, and a ricordia. Haven't seen the two red spiny starfish, so I'm not sure if they made it or not. The fish are fine, and the rest of the softies look mad, but not dead. Did an emergency 95% water change, and everything is starting to look a little better. Basic tests didn't show a problem. Used the same distilled water and salt as I've been using.

Guess I'll give it a week, see how it looks, and make a SeaLife Inc. order.

:tears:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A brief history of my fish-keeping career:

Best of luck getting into the reefkeeping side ... keep us posted ....

I know I am responding to an old message so how are you doing now ?

nevermore1701
Best of luck getting into the reefkeeping side ... keep us posted ....

I know I am responding to an old message so how are you doing now ?

Well I haven't replaced all the critters that didn't survive the mini-crash, but the tank is stable. I'm hoping to replace them in the next couple of weeks, and then maybe start adding some new stock.

• 3 months later...
nevermore1701

Thanks, but I think you mean "nasty little clown", now not only do I have to cup her when my hands are in the tanks, she'll actually jump out of the water 5-6" to bite my hands!

Anyhow, I'm good, just insanely busy. Night school, weekdays at the Dr.'s office, weekends on the ambulance!

Tank is doing real well, I got all the critters replaced, and added another peppermint shrimp, purple lobster, emerald crab, and mithrax crab. I'll have to try to get a new FTS up soon, everything's nice and happy.

How are your tanks doing?

• Like 1

Thanks, but I think you mean "nasty little clown", now not only do I have to cup her when my hands are in the tanks, she'll actually jump out of the water 5-6" to bite my hands!

Anyhow, I'm good, just insanely busy. Night school, weekdays at the Dr.'s office, weekends on the ambulance!

Tank is doing real well, I got all the critters replaced, and added another peppermint shrimp, purple lobster, emerald crab, and mithrax crab. I'll have to try to get a new FTS up soon, everything's nice and happy.

How are your tanks doing?

I forgot she was a beast :lol:

Everyone seems to be so busy lately. You aren't alone.

Oh...a lobster? How's that going? Just the one clownfish? You definitely need to get a new FTS up soon :)

I just have the one 28g tank now. It's going great. It's nice to only have maintenance on one tank.

nevermore1701

The lobster is a little guy, maybe 3". Real pretty, but shy. He's been there about 2 months now, doesn't bother anything at all.

I can't get a pic of him, but he looks just like this:

lobster.jpg

Still just the one clown and the YWG, I just don't have good luck trying to put a third fish in there, much as I'd like to :/

Your tank is looking great!

• Like 1

The lobster is a little guy, maybe 3". Real pretty, but shy. He's been there about 2 months now, doesn't bother anything at all.

I can't get a pic of him, but he looks just like this:

lobster.jpg

Still just the one clown and the YWG, I just don't have good luck trying to put a third fish in there, much as I'd like to :/

Your tank is looking great!

I love the colors on those lobsters!

Weren't you going to give us more pictures to look at???? :D

It really looks fantastic!!! So clean!!!! omgomgomg Your YWG is posing so cutely too. Look at his eyes looking up!!! :lol:

Looks like the urchin is getting big too. How long have you had it? and it also looks like your rics are splitting for you?????

• Like 1
nevermore1701

Thanks, I had another bout with GHA a few months back, not as bad as my first though. A quick peroxide dip of all the rocks took care of it, and now my CuC does a fantastic job of keeping everything looking nice! And the YWG has always had a ton of personality, both he and the clown whore for food whenever they see me paying any attention to the tank :lol:

The urchin is a replacement I got after I lost my other one (along with almost all of my CuC), he's been in there since late November I think. I'm horrible at keeping track of time! As for the rics, the cluster of four on the front rock started off as one a while back, and I have on behind that rock that's split into two big ones.

• Like 1

Thanks, I had another bout with GHA a few months back, not as bad as my first though. A quick peroxide dip of all the rocks took care of it, and now my CuC does a fantastic job of keeping everything looking nice! And the YWG has always had a ton of personality, both he and the clown whore for food whenever they see me paying any attention to the tank :lol:

The urchin is a replacement I got after I lost my other one (along with almost all of my CuC), he's been in there since late November I think. I'm horrible at keeping track of time! As for the rics, the cluster of four on the front rock started off as one a while back, and I have on behind that rock that's split into two big ones.

Nice!!!! So how long have you had the ricordeas? I've read it can take a while for them to get comfortable and then start splitting. Something like a year even. I have one that split for me but nothing since then. A friend of ours had a tank FILLED with orange ricordeas, all from splitting. It looked so awesome. That's what I'm going for. :) Looks like you are on your way to that!!!!!
nevermore1701
Nice!!!! So how long have you had the ricordeas? I've read it can take a while for them to get comfortable and then start splitting. Something like a year even. I have one that split for me but nothing since then. A friend of ours had a tank FILLED with orange ricordeas, all from splitting. It looked so awesome. That's what I'm going for. :) Looks like you are on your way to that!!!!!

I think they've been there about a year now. I find they're the most sensitive to flow, I have to tweak their location overly now and then or they get mad.

I also stopped by the LFS on a whim yesterday and got a smallish but feisty six line. This morning the critters were enjoying their tasty treat. That makes two firefish and a six line that didn't make it, I blame the clown.

• 3 weeks later...
nevermore1701

Had a scare last night, the clown was on her side on the bottom, listless and breathing real hard, so I pulled her and put her in some freshly mixed water while I ran tests (I haven't tested my water in months). Th tests all showed everything as perfect so I put her back in the tank, and today she was perfectly fine. I would have been really sad to lose her, mean to me as she is :P

I think they've been there about a year now. I find they're the most sensitive to flow, I have to tweak their location overly now and then or they get mad. I also stopped by the LFS on a whim yesterday and got a smallish but feisty six line. This morning the critters were enjoying their tasty treat. That makes two firefish and a six line that didn't make it, I blame the clown.

Awww..sorry about the sixline. I guess your tank is only meant for two.

Had a scare last night, the clown was on her side on the bottom, listless and breathing real hard, so I pulled her and put her in some freshly mixed water while I ran tests (I haven't tested my water in months). Th tests all showed everything as perfect so I put her back in the tank, and today she was perfectly fine. I would have been really sad to lose her, mean to me as she is :P

Hah...guess this means you really do love her :) I'm glad she is OK!!!!!
nevermore1701
Awww..sorry about the sixline. I guess your tank is only meant for two. Hah...guess this means you really do love her :) I'm glad she is OK!!!!!

I might try another clown if I can find one that I like, I had two clowns and the YWG in there for a year with no problems.

And much as it pains me to admit, I do love the nasty little thing :P

• 8 months later...
nevermore1701

And that's it. Had a complete crash overnight, everything but a couple of hermit crabs is dead. Even the zoas look like they're toast. No money to restart it in the foreseeable future, as I'm only working part time while I'm in nursing school. No idea what went wrong, but there's nothing that can be done about it at this point. There goes three and a half years of hard work and enjoyment.

And that's it. Had a complete crash overnight, everything but a couple of hermit crabs is dead. Even the zoas look like they're toast. No money to restart it in the foreseeable future, as I'm only working part time while I'm in nursing school. No idea what went wrong, but there's nothing that can be done about it at this point. There goes three and a half years of hard work and enjoyment.

:tears:

I'm soooo sorry!!!!! I know the heartbreak you are going through right now. I just lost a fish myself. If it's not too late, keep it running!!!! Do a 100% water change. I'll send you zoas and stuff to put in the tank. I hate to see you have to shut it all down.

Any idea what might have happened?

Very sorry to read it ...

nevermore1701

After some encouragement, I finally got around to getting the tank cleaned out. Got all the dead critters out (that was a fun smell), sifted the sand, and pulled some of the obviously dead zoas off the rocks. Did a heavy water change and generally just got it as clean as I could.

The plan right now is to let it sit for about a week and see if any of the zoas are going to survive. If not I'll do another large water change, let it sit another week or so and do some tests. We'll see from there.

After some encouragement, I finally got around to getting the tank cleaned out. Got all the dead critters out (that was a fun smell), sifted the sand, and pulled some of the obviously dead zoas off the rocks. Did a heavy water change and generally just got it as clean as I could.

The plan right now is to let it sit for about a week and see if any of the zoas are going to survive. If not I'll do another large water change, let it sit another week or so and do some tests. We'll see from there.

fingerscrossed

I have some ricordeas waiting for you when you're ready. :)

nevermore1701

fingerscrossed

I have some ricordeas waiting for you when you're ready. :)

Thanks again for the very kind offer, I'll be sure to let you know how things are doing :)

nevermore1701

The zoas are still melting and the rics are gone. There's also a ton of GHA sprouting and even some cyano, which I haven't seen in quite a while. I'm assuming it's due to the huge amount of die-off and resultant nutrient spike. I'll do another very large water change in a few days, it's annoying to not have a way to deal with the new algae outbreak in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...
nevermore1701

The hits just keep coming. Not tank related this time, but on Friday night I lost one of my corn snakes. I know, lots of people don't like snakes, but she was every bit as much a part of the family as the cats, dogs, and horses. I got her as an adult over ten years ago, so she was quite old for a corn. It wasn't a complete surprise, as she'd been having problems keeping food down over the last few weeks, which she'd never had trouble with before. Still, it was devastating, my wife and I are real broken up about it.

Anyway, in tank news I did another heavy water change now that it looks like everything that's gonna die and decay has, and the new CuC should be coming in Wednesday. Also picked up some fresh Purigen and Chemi-Pure, some chaeto, and re-rigged the back light box so hopefully it'll stay cooler and won't burn out as often. Hope the CuC and frequent water changes get this algae outbreak under control pretty quickly, it's damn ugly :furious:

Archived