Cultivated Reef

The Arid Sea

nevermore1701

nevermore1701
I like it a lot!!!! You have some amazing zoa colonies!!!!!

Hard to believe they started last May or June as a dozen little 3-5 polyp frags!

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey...you may have already noticed this, and forgive my lack of proper descriptive terms :lol:.....but, did you notice the nozzle that attaches to the outflow tube has a ball style joint (to allow it to swivel a bit). Just like how those loc-lines fit together?????? I just noticed this. Think we could separate that and attach the loc-line pieces we need from there? Does that make sense? Check out msscha's thread too. She's in the process of switching hers out.

surgicalsense
Yes, please let us know if you discover anything!

OMG! I have been so distracted I haven't gotten to this, regarding the NC powerhead joint. Geesh, sorry... :o

nevermore1701
Hey...you may have already noticed this, and forgive my lack of proper descriptive terms :lol:.....but, did you notice the nozzle that attaches to the outflow tube has a ball style joint (to allow it to swivel a bit). Just like how those loc-lines fit together?????? I just noticed this. Think we could separate that and attach the loc-line pieces we need from there? Does that make sense? Check out msscha's thread too. She's in the process of switching hers out.

I did, and that did cross my mind, I'm just not 100% sure if the stock size would match up with a loc-line size.

I did, and that did cross my mind, I'm just not 100% sure if the stock size would match up with a loc-line size.

They did not for me -- I have an oceanic, and that may be an issue. I think my lfs run a jbj, and they were able to mod it with loc-lines, and it didn't look like they did anything but just change out parts and add a stronger pump. I will be adding a stronger pump, and may have to switch out the discharge nozzle b/c I cracked the hell out of it trying to get the loc line to fit. Total fail :rant:. Nothing in the tank seems unhappy, though, and maybe the rics looking brighter is due to lower flow instead of a bit of Reef Accelerator dosing!

No real news, just happy that everything survived my weekend out of town with no ill effects. Since the LFS can't (or won't) get me a Royal Gramma, I'm considering just getting a regular Oc clown to go with my B&W Oc.

So, this may not be a helpful comment, but my lfs stated that lots of "other" stores don't stock real grammas, but some other evil chromis/damsel look-alike. They claim the real royal gramma makes a good inhabitant in a bc14, definitely in a 29. Don't know if the switch-a-roo claim is true!

Wasn't there ever a time in your reefing career when you were giddy about seeing "coral" (aptasia) on your rocks???? I have to admit to that :lol: Back when I was an uber noob :lol:

Me, too!!! The earliest pics of my tank show huge lightbulb anemones! I loved them, and all of the other ones, too. I didn't add coral or fish for weeks, so the first month was just gazing at the lovely 'nems and taking out the evil crabs. Eventually, as the lightbulbs began moving around and blocking/disturbing other things, I did take them out. They've never come back, but I do have aiptasia and majano pop up. In fact, I found 2 yesterday -- grrrr.

nevermore1701

My weekly trip to the LFS was unproductive as usual. They did actually have to clowns that were about the right size, but they both looked like they were about 5 minutes from kicking the bucket, so I passed. Considering a cleaner shrimp though, don't think there would be any conflicts with my stars or urchin.

My weekly trip to the LFS was unproductive as usual. They did actually have to clowns that were about the right size, but they both looked like they were about 5 minutes from kicking the bucket, so I passed. Considering a cleaner shrimp though, don't think there would be any conflicts with my stars or urchin.

Nah...no conflicts. They won't even pay attention to each other! Get two cleaner shrimp. When they spawn (which is all the time for me) you have free food for the tank!!!! Their bellies get so full of eggs it makes me cringe (thinking back to when I was pregnant :lol:).

• 2 weeks later...

Love that urchin. My LFS has one how does he act in your reef? I think their so cute. :happy:

Tank looks very nice! All your corals are looking very happy!

nevermore1701
Love that urchin. My LFS has one how does he act in your reef? I think their so cute. :happy:

Tank looks very nice! All your corals are looking very happy!

Well he'll re-arrange your 'scape if it's not pretty solid, but other than that he's cool as hell.

nevermore1701
NM then! LMAO :P

He's not that bad, don't want your rockwork to be fragile anyway :P

Your zoas look great, and that urchin is very cute :) Nice tank!

Thanks! :happy:

Not fragile just not glued down. Some frags are the same way, I have it that way for the move to the new stand so I can take everything out and place it in a giant tupperware with the tank water.

Maybe after I get it on the stand I will glue it all down. ;)

Archived