Coral Vue Hydros

The Arid Sea

nevermore1701

Devil if I know what all the zoas are, they came in a cheapo variety pack from Mr. Coral.

I do indeed have a nice big flat rock to populate, that's why I got it, was running out of usable space :P

I'm thinking frogspawn, GSP, or maybe a BTA after I upgrade my lights. Not sure yet.

They kind of look like AOGs. Whatever they are...I want :happy:

A frogspawn would look awesome there!!!!! I wouldn't waste that space on GSP. Put GSP on your sandbed for a nice carpet!!!!!

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
nevermore1701
Looks great! Do you have any troubles with the urchin moving your corals?

I did have to fine-tune my 'scape for several weeks, he'd shift corals and rocks around. Now that everything's more solid, no more problems.

They kind of look like AOGs. Whatever they are...I want :happy:

A frogspawn would look awesome there!!!!! I wouldn't waste that space on GSP. Put GSP on your sandbed for a nice carpet!!!!!

The big ones with the long stalks? That's actually half a frag, the other half is in the upper right corner.

The big ones with the long stalks? That's actually half a frag, the other half is in the upper right corner.

Yes...the pink ones :) I thought they were the same kind.

nevermore1701
I love your urchin :)

He's too cool, growing and coloring up nicely! It's funny the stuff he picks up from time to time. His zoas have been there for a couple of weeks now, he must like 'em :D I'm amazed how purple he's gotten, was almost pure white when I got him, with just the faintest hint of light green stripes.

• 1 month later...
nevermore1701

Not much to report. Getting a new truck has put tank expenditures on hold, so no LEDs yet. I took the diffuser off the return, made everything even happier. Other than that, there has been a little more growth, lots more coraline on the back panel, and that's about it.

• 5 weeks later...
nevermore1701

Finally got a Royal Gramma today! the Clown and YWG aren't bothering it, and it only hid in the rocks for about 4 hours, starting to swim out in the open now. Hope it works out better than the two Firefish I tried, it's very pretty!

Finally got a Royal Gramma today! the Clown and YWG aren't bother in, and it only hid in the rocks for about 4 hours, starting to swim out in the open now. Hope it works out better than the two Firefish I tried, it's very pretty!

Woo hoo!

Hey stranger!!!! I'm glad to see you around again :happy:

Congrats on the royal gramma!!!! I'd love to see a new FTS again. I bet your zoas/palys have really grown in a lot :)

nevermore1701
Hey stranger!!!! I'm glad to see you around again :happy:

Congrats on the royal gramma!!!! I'd love to see a new FTS again. I bet your zoas/palys have really grown in a lot :)

Thanks!

The Gramma is still shy when you get close to the tank, but as soon as I get a pic of him I'll include a FTS.

The zoas and pallys have encrusted the vast majority of the rockwork, with the exception of the big new rock that I've intentionally kept bare, for now. Some of the mushrooms have started moving around the tank from their original little rock, and a couple of my rics have gotten absolutely huge. I noticed they got a lot happier when I took the nozzle completely off the return. The flow is very diffuse now, and everything I have in there seems to absolutely love it!

Thanks!

The Gramma is still shy when you get close to the tank, but as soon as I get a pic of him I'll include a FTS.

The zoas and pallys have encrusted the vast majority of the rockwork, with the exception of the big new rock that I've intentionally kept bare, for now. Some of the mushrooms have started moving around the tank from their original little rock, and a couple of my rics have gotten absolutely huge. I noticed they got a lot happier when I took the nozzle completely off the return. The flow is very diffuse now, and everything I have in there seems to absolutely love it!

I've found the lower the flow, the better. And not just for softies.

Can't wait to see this growth...and the fish!!!!!!!

nevermore1701

Ok, I managed to coax him out with food, but the ensuing feeding frenzy made a lot of the zoas close up, so I'll have to wait for a FTS until they open back up. Little guy is quick, hard to get a good picture of him! Here are the best of the hundred or so I took, and they're still not great :rolleyes:

IMG_6352.JPG

IMG_6359.JPG

IMG_6371.JPG

IMG_6375.JPG

IMG_6377.JPG

IMG_6383.JPG

Ooh, the gramma and watchman are so cute together! Very nice color match. I want to get a YWG now :D. Your tank glass is really clean, too, like Gena's always is. I've got to get a decent scraper or some better snails!

nevermore1701
He looks great!!!!! So does the tank :)

Your fish are so vibrantly colored!!!!!! I still want some of your palys :happy:

Thanks! They do stay pretty happy, that's for sure.

Ooh, the gramma and watchman are so cute together! Very nice color match. I want to get a YWG now :D. Your tank glass is really clean, too, like Gena's always is. I've got to get a decent scraper or some better snails!

The yellow on the two of them is almost an exact match in person, it's pretty cool! They also all get along very well, which is a good thing, as small as the tank is. As for the glass, I just spend a minute or so a day with the TLF Nano Mag, and it keeps everything perfect! The snails have actually almost all disappeared now that the algae is gone.

As for the glass, I just spend a minute or so a day with the TLF Nano Mag, and it keeps everything perfect! The snails have actually almost all disappeared now that the algae is gone.

You are the second person to have recommended the TLF nano mag -- it got such mixed reviews on Amazon that I've not ordered it, but there doesn't seem to be a reasonable option, either. The algae I still have showing up on the glass is not bothered by the few snails I have left. I like the turbo so much that I may start putting some little pieces of nori in again just to keep it fed! There's still a nass hanging out in the sandbed (and a tiny baby one I catch on the glass now and then) and a cerith which started little and is now about an 1" long, but I don't see any other snails.

nevermore1701

I have absolutely nothing but good to say about the nano mag, it's a lifesaver. I can't imagine how anyone wouldn't absolutely love it.

Edit:

Just read the negative reviews on Amazon. Yes, it's small. That's the point. Yes, it's cheap, its 12freaking bucks. Yes, it takes more than one pass to clean the tank. Takes about one minute, give or take, to clean my 12g. Somehow I don't consider that to be too much of a burden, but maybe some people's time is just too precious, in which case I suggest they take up a different hobby, like a pet rock. This thing can get in places others simply can't, at 1/4" thick, which is great for nano reefs where there isn't always a lot of clearance between the glass and the rockwork/coral. Plus it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb when not in use, which is nice.

I have absolutely nothing but good to say about the nano mag, it's a lifesaver. I can't imagine how anyone wouldn't absolutely love it.

Edit:

Just read the negative reviews on Amazon. Yes, it's small. That's the point. Yes, it's cheap, its 12freaking bucks. Yes, it takes more than one pass to clean the tank. Takes about one minute, give or take, to clean my 12g. Somehow I don't consider that to be too much of a burden, but maybe some people's time is just too precious, in which case I suggest they take up a different hobby, like a pet rock. This thing can get in places others simply can't, at 1/4" thick, which is great for nano reefs where there isn't always a lot of clearance between the glass and the rockwork/coral. Plus it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb when not in use, which is nice.

I ordered it yesterday -- even before I read this! I trust NR more than random Amazon reviewers :D!

I use the TLF nano mag as well. It's the bomb :lol:

How's the new gramma doing? You need to post more photos. Your tank is awesome and so are your photos :)

nevermore1701
I use the TLF nano mag as well. It's the bomb :lol:

How's the new gramma doing? You need to post more photos. Your tank is awesome and so are your photos :)

My tank is mediocre and my photos are worse, but thank you :P

The gramma is still doing great, so I'm hoping he'll be a good long-term tankmate for the clown and YWG.

My tank is mediocre and my photos are worse, but thank you :P

The gramma is still doing great, so I'm hoping he'll be a good long-term tankmate for the clown and YWG.

You are sooooo wrong :slap:

I'm glad the gramma is fitting in perfectly :happy:

Archived