SaltCritters.com

The Arid Sea

nevermore1701

• Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply
surgicalsense

Nice, does your clown and goby hang out like that? That was pretty cool. My watchman does not like its clown neighbors :P gets all mad.

Your tank looks great! The white urchin is really neat.

nevermore1701

They're pretty good buddies it seems. The YWG usually hangs out on the sandbed or perched on a rock, and the clown swims close by in the water column. They think they're going to get fed whenever I'm close by, so they swim as close to me as they can :lol:

I think fish are smarter than we give them credit for. Every morning they get super excited because they know they will be fed. It's like my dogs. Everyday at noon they run to me and stare because they know it's time for dinner :lol:

I don't think I could not feed my fish everyday. I wouldn't be able to stand the show of expectation they'd be putting on. I'm a pushover :lol:

nevermore1701
I think fish are smarter than we give them credit for. Every morning they get super excited because they know they will be fed. It's like my dogs. Everyday at noon they run to me and stare because they know it's time for dinner :lol:

I don't think I could not feed my fish everyday. I wouldn't be able to stand the show of expectation they'd be putting on. I'm a pushover :lol:

You should see my cichlids! I can't walk by the tank without them whoring for food! Of course, any time we have company they all hide <_<

You should see my cichlids! I can't walk by the tank without them whoring for food! Of course, any time we have company they all hide <_<

And see...they are smart enough to know to be afraid of strangers. I love fish :)

nevermore1701
And see...they are smart enough to know to be afraid of strangers. I love fish :)

You should see the looks I get when people come over for the first time...

"Oh, what a pretty tank... but where are all the fish?"

"They're hiding."

"Why?"

"They don't know you."

:huh:

nevermore1701

Oh little urchin friend, what do I do with you? You're cute, have quite a bit of personality for such a simple creature, and do an absolutely AMAZING job of eating my GHA. You also are a huge pain in the ass, as you have now managed to acquire a zoa frag that was GLUED TO THE ROCK! /sigh.

nevermore1701

Zoa rescued from urchin and glued back down, I think everything should be pretty secure now, only thing I want to re-do is one of the rics, just because I don't know if I like where it's at.

Moved a couple of the rocks around a bit, might buy a couple more pieces to fill everything out a bit, and make room for future frags.

Got my chaeto and a couple of striped nano stars from SeaLifeInc, made a little net cage for the chaeto in my middle chamber, so hopefully I won't end up with it all getting sucked into my return pump like last time.

Pretty blue ric has floated itself off to parts unknown, which annoys me, it was IMO the prettiest one. Need to find it.

nevermore1701

Found the nasty little ric back behind/under the rockwork. Digging it out required that I remove ALL my rocks, and when I put 'em back they didn't look as good, so I need to re-do it again tomorrow. After I get another net, because it's honestly impossible to do much in there with the clown chomping on my fingers every 5 seconds. There certainly is never a shortage of things to do, that's for sure.

Great pictures of your tank. All I have is phone pics,lol.

I dont know if you have made up your mind about another fish but I love my Purple Orchid Dottyback. He is very peaceful and a hardy fish. I got mine from the LFS it was an ORA tank raised one. These fish get a bad rep b/c they look like a strawberry pseudochromis and LFS label them wrong. Purple Orchid (have black line by their eye) = peaceful..... Strawberry pseudo = aggressive. Just something to look into if you havent decided on your next fish. I had a bi-color blenny but had to return him since he was killing my corals by laying on them and nipping them.

nevermore1701
Great pictures of your tank. All I have is phone pics,lol.

I dont know if you have made up your mind about another fish but I love my Purple Orchid Dottyback. He is very peaceful and a hardy fish. I got mine from the LFS it was an ORA tank raised one. These fish get a bad rep b/c they look like a strawberry pseudochromis and LFS label them wrong. Purple Orchid (have black line by their eye) = peaceful..... Strawberry pseudo = aggressive. Just something to look into if you havent decided on your next fish. I had a bi-color blenny but had to return him since he was killing my corals by laying on them and nipping them.

I've settled on a Royal Gramma. The LFS should be getting a couple in tomorrow, so I'll head over and have a look. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll keep it in mind if I need to get another fish in the future!

I also can recommend an orchid dottyback (for a possible future addition). I loved mine so much. She was great. No problems whatsoever. Darn mushroom ate her :(

You are welcome and hopefully they all pair up well.

Gena

Sorry to hear about your orchid. You should get another one to replace her. Such a pretty color fish in my opinion. What kind of mushroom was it?

Uhh... I have a JBJ 12g I just set up a few months ago with a b/w clown (and orange), same sand, same snails, zoa, rics, and a shroom. I plan to build a media basket soon and fill it with filter floss, chaeto, and chemi-pure. I'm also looking to buy a Koralia nano 240 and a Maxi-Jet 900 to upgrade my return. Once it gets a bit more stable, I want a YWG and pistol shrimp. All of this decided (I swear) before I found your thread. Oh and I used to have a black great dane named Zoe.

We are going to be tank twins B)

One question... From that top down photo it looks like there are three chambers in the back, correct? I have an older JBJ from before they came out with the DX model and I have four chambers. I'm trying to figure out what to put where. Maybe I'll add purigen like you and fill the other with chaeto. I'm going to copy your DIY fuge light design.

The tank is killer dude. Looks healthy and mature.

I had this tank set up a few years ago and had a blue tuxedo urchin. Amazing how much personality is in such a simple little creature. I also have a royal gamma. It was a great fish. *almost* as social as a clown.

Also to add to what I read looking through your thread... I'm 24. I pay .90-$1 a gallon for RO/DI water at WalMart or Kroger. The closest LFS is about 30 minutes away and the complete opposite direction of anywhere I go... so I just do the gallon jugs. Kinda sucks but it's the only way I've ever done it.

Nevermore - feed with a turkey baster and the clown won't associate fingers as food :). And gena how the hell did a mushroom eat a fish?! Lol

nevermore1701
Uhh... I have a JBJ 12g I just set up a few months ago with a b/w clown (and orange), same sand, same snails, zoa, rics, and a shroom. I plan to build a media basket soon and fill it with filter floss, chaeto, and chemi-pure. I'm also looking to buy a Koralia nano 240 and a Maxi-Jet 900 to upgrade my return. Once it gets a bit more stable, I want a YWG and pistol shrimp. All of this decided (I swear) before I found your thread. Oh and I used to have a black great dane named Zoe.

We are going to be tank twins B)

One question... From that top down photo it looks like there are three chambers in the back, correct? I have an older JBJ from before they came out with the DX model and I have four chambers. I'm trying to figure out what to put where. Maybe I'll add purigen like you and fill the other with chaeto. I'm going to copy your DIY fuge light design.

The tank is killer dude. Looks healthy and mature.

I had this tank set up a few years ago and had a blue tuxedo urchin. Amazing how much personality is in such a simple little creature. I also have a royal gamma. It was a great fish. *almost* as social as a clown.

I guess great minds just think alike :P

Yes, mine has 3 chambers. What I would do (but I'm not recommending you do) is take one of the chamber walls out so you have more room to work with. There's really no need for four compartments, and it would open up a bit of room for whatever filtration components you go with.

Also to add to what I read looking through your thread... I'm 24. I pay .90-$1 a gallon for RO/DI water at WalMart or Kroger. The closest LFS is about 30 minutes away and the complete opposite direction of anywhere I go... so I just do the gallon jugs. Kinda sucks but it's the only way I've ever done it.

I've never found RO/DI at any grocery stores, and after the crappy water I got from my LFS, I'm just going to stick with distilled.

Nevermore - feed with a turkey baster and the clown won't associate fingers as food :). And gena how the hell did a mushroom eat a fish?! Lol

I've always only fed with a turkey baster, the little bastard is just mean! Never had one do this before.

It was a St. Thomas mushroom that was attached to the side wall. It was HUGE! I had bought an emerald crab that day. Put the crab in. The dottyback was heavily checking him out. I left to pick my son up from school. When I got back, I saw the mushroom closed up with something pink inside :(

Scraped the mushroom out, opened it up, and there she was :tears:

I'm 99.9% positive the emerald spooked her. She darted right into the mushroom (accidently) and it instantly closed up on her. She had zero marks on her.

Here's both the dottyback and the mushroom.

fish5.jpg

Archived