Innovative Marine Aquariums

Vic's 180 Gallon Vivarium (previously a paludarium)

Withers

photographer07

Looking great. frogs are excelent looking as well.

if i could make a few suggestions from one dendro keeper to another. i would like to see more leaf litter at the nottom , maybe replace the substrate with something like ABG mix, and add some film canisters for them to lay eggs in. they will lay in the broms but the more spots for them to lay the better.

again just suggestions.

great set up.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looking great. frogs are excelent looking as well.

if i could make a few suggestions from one dendro keeper to another. i would like to see more leaf litter at the nottom , maybe replace the substrate with something like ABG mix, and add some film canisters for them to lay eggs in. they will lay in the broms but the more spots for them to lay the better.

again just suggestions.

great set up.

Thanks!

Yeah I have more leaf litter and I do plan to add more to the bottom. I've had a hell of a time finding film canisters, so if you know of any vendors that have some in stock I would GREATLY appreciate a link :)

I really wanted a poison dart frog once--it was the new hobby I was going to get into when I quit reefing. They are SO CUTE! I don't know much about what you're building VS but it looks AMAZING. Tagging along and living vicariously through your froggies :)

• 1 month later...

really awesome thread; Im currently trying to set up a paludarium and this thread has help me a lot--thanks for keeping it so well documented!

That tank sure does look incredible. Has any fungi grown in yet? With all that constant humidity I would be surprised if it didn't. Also, do those frogs eat crickets? Or do they solely eat fruit flies?

Belly shot

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonwithers/7012438219/"][img=http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6219/7012438219_029d5532e4_z.jpg][/url][url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonwithers/7012438219/"]IMG_3039[/url] by [url="http://www.flickr.com/people/jasonwithers/"]jasonwithers[/url], on Flickr

:megusta:

Very nice. How's the foliage growth coming along?

Let's see... From November 2, 2011 to March 21, 2012

6307333945_750fc4abdc.jpg7004961545_d4914dc6ee.jpg

Yikes I need brighter lights, I'm losing all my colors. It isn't really that much dimmer in the 2nd picture, it's just different editing.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Welp, I've decided to tear this guy down and convert it to a freshwater planted tank / riparium. The frogs will be moved downstairs into my little tank and I'll be reusing pretty much all of the wood and a good number of the plants.

I haven't really been happy with it ever since the bottom cracked, and Krista has never really been happy with it because she thinks its too big.

The new tank will be 36x24x18

lol, right after I decide to move the frogs to a smaller enclosure i find this guy

8109797065_010b7926ba_b.jpg

first froglet! It's pretty incredible to think that they can do the following all on their own in captivity

1. lay & fertilize eggs

2. transport tadpoles to water source when they hatch

3. continuously feed tadpoles unfertilized eggs until the tadpoles grow legs and climb out of the water on their own

We're not sure if this is the same froglet (nicknamed "Squishy") or if this is a different one

8120561332_7167b3ca44_z.jpg

It's funny, the lines look so defined in pictures but you can barely make them out in person. He's essentially solid black to look at him.

Mama wasn't happy we were bothering him

8120544579_d6307bc16a_z.jpg

Missed the focus by just a hair

8120544721_8659bc9129_z.jpg

lol, right after I decide to move the frogs to a smaller enclosure i find this guy

8109797065_010b7926ba_b.jpg

first froglet! It's pretty incredible to think that they can do the following all on their own in captivity

1. lay & fertilize eggs

2. transport tadpoles to water source when they hatch

3. continuously feed tadpoles unfertilized eggs until the tadpoles grow legs and climb out of the water on their own

that's pretty crazy! i hope mine do that when they get older. i got my first pdf's from got2envy a couple months ago (cobalts). great job.

Archived