Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Vic's 180 Gallon Vivarium (previously a paludarium)

Withers

have you considered a decaying cat carcass biotope? street cred and style points

nice

harder to find fish like what?

try your LFS stores first, most fish we all discussed are common there. others can be found via Aqua Bid or possibly FW fish vendors like liveaquaria.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cherry shrimp do just fine with numerous community fish. the fish also serve as a check to their population, but some babies will survive and grow to adult hood. You're not going to see them everywhere with lots of fish around, that's definitely true, but they will be in there, and in good numbers if the vegetation is nice and dense. The cherry shrimp should probably be introduced earlier to allow them to start breeding well.

This is somewhat true, yes. Although it all depends upon the type of fish stocked. For example, in my experience sparkling/pygmy gouramis will always attack shrimp, despite barely being longer than the shrimp themselves. Also some loaches, including Botia sidmunki, are just terrible to keep with them. I'd be wary of keeping larger killies with them as well, given they also specialize in similar prey in the wild.

Aiming for keeping the community non-aggressive and less likely to attack frogs that fall in the water, i think apistos, rams, and larger killies *might* be harmful. plus the other omnivorous fish being stocked are well capable of eating any insects that fall in the water. the gourami might be there for larger inverts like isopods. However if this really is a vivarium aiming for a biotope, then gourami is out among other things.

I highly doubt an apisto or a ram would try and eat a frog. Admittedly, they are territorial, and could attack a frog which plunked into the water near their den, but the darts would be goners pretty quickly after hitting the water, regardless of what happened.

so many options!

I hadn't really considered doing a biotope since the plants aren't all native to Peru (which is where the frogs will be from). I like those options though. Where you would guys recommend finding some of those harder to find fish?

Personally I'd go for a weak biotope (amazonian animals, but a bit fuzzier on the plants as needed). Most species within a region have close relatives elsewhere after all. It's not that bad to swap out a dull endemic for a closely-related, flashy species you can get in the hobby

I always use fishbase for planning biotopes however. Look here The site is as slow as molasses, but an excellent resource. Perhaps use a mirror like this site.

Nearly 900 species. Looking through the list, I see Panda Cories (among others, which there are many), Bleeding Heart Tetras, Neon Tetras, Rosy Tetras, Cockatoo Apistos, Marbled Hatchetfish, a whole bunch of otos and plecs. There are thus plenty of options to do a full Peruvian biotope you should be able to find at a LFS.

i've only bought mist kings, and i would only recommend them. they're high quality and rock solid. I'm still using a system I bought 6 years ago on my small tank. It works as good as the day I bought it :)

The monsoon system might be good too, but I know what goes into a mist king setup and wouldn't consider anything less.

i've only bought mist kings, and i would only recommend them. they're high quality and rock solid. I'm still using a system I bought 6 years ago on my small tank. It works as good as the day I bought it :)

The monsoon system might be good too, but I know what goes into a mist king setup and wouldn't consider anything less.

+10000, I went to the largest reptile expo in teh world this past weekend in daytona beach...mist king was there and I got to see their products in person, very very quality stuff. I'll be ordering mine soon.

On a different note, I just started my new 18x18x18 exo terra build for terribilis. WOOHOO

+10000, I went to the largest reptile expo in teh world this past weekend in daytona beach...mist king was there and I got to see their products in person, very very quality stuff. I'll be ordering mine soon.

On a different note, I just started my new 18x18x18 exo terra build for terribilis. WOOHOO

yay!!! do you have a thread up for it somewhere?

those bromeliads are pretty sick!

Thanks!

yay!!! do you have a thread up for it somewhere?

Thanks!

No thread yet, I just finished cutting the eggcrate today, but i'll put one up tomorrow hopefully if i'm not tied down with AP chem. work.

Hoping to make a moving river, I know it cuts down on surface area and all but the aesthetics are too cool, plus it's gonna be really shallow.

have you considered a decaying cat carcass biotope? street cred and style points

I like your suggestions nip... but I still think your botfly idea is best:

• 1 month later...

The bottom sprung a leak about 2 weeks ago and dumped about 30 gallons of water on the floor. So now it will permanently be a vivarium instead of a paludarium :(

I got the floor cleaned up, I'm just waiting on a guy to come and reinstall the carpet I pulled up before I move the tank back into place and work on fixing it. Other than that everything looks good. The plants are starting to grow in and aren't losing their color, so all's well. I'll take updated pics as soon as I get everything back in working order :)

yeah thankfully it's an easy solution, it just sucks. i wish it would have failed back when i water tested it for 2 weeks before putting the substrate and plants in. Now it would be impossible to get down in there and figure out how to fix it, and even if I did I could never trust it again.

but, it was always primarily for the dart frogs, so i'm not too upset about it

• 2 weeks later...

plants are surviving but haven't really grown all that much yet. The ferns are taking off, but the bromeliads take a while to start taking root.

Archived