SaltCritters.com

Vic's 180 Gallon Vivarium (previously a paludarium)

Withers

Incredible, I've loved this from the start and it is just plain awesome. I hope to set one up soon, almost exclusively because of this thread.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I need to set up my viv again-mind if I post mine here as ur inspired mine?

Go for it!

Wow, simply a stunning vivarium! Well done!

Incredible, I've loved this from the start and it is just plain awesome. I hope to set one up soon, almost exclusively because of this thread.

Thanks guys :)

It's an empty tank now due to my daughter being born but i'm itching to set it back up whenever i get the chance

20121213123732.jpg

20121216192241.jpg

20121216192251.jpg

That's gorgeous! I can't quite tell, are those Varaderos that were in it?

yes they had kinda differnet marks but yes they were. I had 3 in there and I had them for a while them they just all died on me and I was extremly upset that I tore the thing down and it just happened to be the same time my daughter was born. now though i'm missing them, have you had a hard time feeding them being it so big?

Your vivs are amazing! I wanted to start one but was vetoed by the gfs irrational fear if poisonous dart frogs (even after explaining the difference if captive bred). So I ended up with this

So what is the best place to order the plants?

I get them from all over. Jason DeSantis is a good guy to buy bromeliads from, he has a great inventory of them. Black Jungle is a decent place to find things if you don't mind paying full retail price for them. I also buy a lot of plants from Lowes/Home Depot. Sometimes they'll have some gems in their tropical plant section, and a lot of times you can find some nice ferns / succulents around there at different times of the year.

Your vivs are amazing! I wanted to start one but was vetoed by the gfs irrational fear if poisonous dart frogs (even after explaining the difference if captive bred). So I ended up with this

I love chameleons!

Yeah you'd be surprised. I found a bunch of Korean Rock Ferns there and I've found quite a few terrestrial tropical plants there. Peace Lillies are great for vivariums and Lowes always has a ton of them in stock. I'd say a good half of the plants in my tank came from Lowes.

You can also buy plants meant for freshwater planted tanks and grow them as "emergent." I've got a bunch of crypts left over from when it was a paludarium, they're growing just fine out of the water.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the froglet is about a month out of the water and is getting fatter and fatter so I think he's in for the long haul. We've got another froglet that is about ready to leave its film canister so that's exciting too.

Mama was posing this morning

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have been stalking for a while, everything looks good, doing a great job with the pics.

One of my dream tanks/setups is be a large freshwater planted tank with wood and scaping that turned into a vivarium, maybe with frogs, then have a chameleon in the tree line.

Something like...

36" by 24" by 3-4'

That would be pretty sick

Feeding, cleaning, and climate control would be a bitch to keep it looking nice and everyone comfortable. I would have a small fan with a timer at the top to keep it from getting too moist/wet for the chameleon.

I have been stalking for a while, everything looks good, doing a great job with the pics.

One of my dream tanks/setups is be a large freshwater planted tank with wood and scaping that turned into a vivarium, maybe with frogs, then have a chameleon in the tree line.

Something like...

36" by 24" by 3-4'

That would be pretty sick

Feeding, cleaning, and climate control would be a bitch to keep it looking nice and everyone comfortable. I would have a small fan with a timer at the top to keep it from getting too moist/wet for the chameleon.

Yeah the chameleon would present a major challenge since they don't eat fruit flies and need to be much drier than the frogs, otherwise it would be pretty easy to set up. If you switched the chameleon out for some day geckos you'd be set :)

The freshwater portion would naturally be a low-light setup so you wouldn't have to worry much about algae growth, and a setup that large you wouldn't have to wipe down from the frogs more than once every few months. The run-off from the misting on the vivarium portion would make up for the evaporation in the fish section.

That's basically the exact setup I had for mine before I lost the freshwater section. It worked really well except that I didn't factor in the water uptake from the terrestrial plants. They were sucking up about a gallon a day at one point.

Looks great! I saw the thread on dendroboard to :)

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Most of my resurrection ferns rotted away, which wasn't totally unexpected but still sucks. I need to get a better timer so I can cut back to less than 1 minute (my mistking one died out a while ago). Still, things are growing in pretty well :)

New fern growth after the resurrection ferns melted. Not sure what kind of fern this is

My Korean Rock Ferns and ET Ferns are still going strong though. You can see a Staghorn Fern I just put in as a test to see how it does in the background. I think it's a Staghorn at least, Home Depot is terrible with tags.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn you. Since the moment I first stumbled across your build, I couldn't get Viv's out of my head. Now I have a bead on the Zoomed XL and a fascination with auratus that I didn't want. I even know waterfalls are considered a noob thing now. It's brutal, SW is expensive enough with out trying to work a vivarium "in to the build."

It looks great, I bow before the fern king.

Archived