Pod Your Reef

Vic's 180 Gallon Vivarium (previously a paludarium)

Withers

Looks like I'm going to be setting up my viv again after I finish my tank. Be around Christmas I would guess and since my tank is much the same as you I'm gonna copy ur's

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Damn you. Since the moment I first stumbled across your build, I couldn't get Viv's out of my head. Now I have a bead on the Zoomed XL and a fascination with auratus that I didn't want. I even know waterfalls are considered a noob thing now. It's brutal, SW is expensive enough with out trying to work a vivarium "in to the build."

It looks great, I bow before the fern king.

Looks like I'm going to be setting up my viv again after I finish my tank. Be around Christmas I would guess and since my tank is much the same as you I'm gonna copy ur's

muahaha. hey, at least they're way cheaper then reef tanks :P

muahaha. hey, at least they're way cheaper then reef tanks :P

I can give you that. Damn you all the same.

Oh, I forgot to mention, damn your camera skills as well. If it where a gun, you'd be Rambo.

I feed dusted fruit flies 3-4 times a week, but I feed a ton of them at a time to make sure the frogs can find food. I probably dump 300-400 flies in at a time.

Oh damn it. Why did I read this? Beautiful vivarium dude. Between you and Giga, I don't know how I'm going to resist turning and building a vivarium.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked up a pair of frogs from my father-in-law. He was tired of caring for them after 6 years so I offered to take them off his hands. They're not going in this tank though.

If one of these turns out to be female I would have one of a very few breeding pairs in the country.
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow these are some beautiful shots good camera work, also love the viv it looks amazing, I think I'm going to stick to reefs for now since no where near me has amphibians.

Wow these are some beautiful shots good camera work, also love the viv it looks amazing, I think I'm going to stick to reefs for now since no where near me has amphibians.

Yeah there's a couple place that sell darts here but they can't tell me what line they came from n such, plus there prices are inflated. I just buy from people on dendroboard or the sponsors there, like Josh's frogs or dendrobati

How about an updated shot of the setup? ;)

Sorry I guess I'm not getting email notifications anymore :( I'll clean it up and take a picture this week. I should be seeing another froglet soon, they've been raising one in a film canister for what feels like months now

They're imitators, Baja Huallaga. It took them about a year and a half before they got the hang of it, but now they're cranking them out.

• 4 weeks later...

One of my bulbs went out over Christmas, so no shots of the tank till I get a replacement in, but one of the froglets (adults now I guess) was really going out on a limb today

Closer up

Thanks! :)

New froglet finally showed his face

I'm going to be cleaning the tank this week, I'll take some pics. My bromeliads really need to be tossed out, they're pretty much dead and melting :(

How often do you see the frogs ? your viv is so big, how many frogs do you have? If one died and you didn't notice what would happen?

I can usually spot at least 2 at any given time. I have 5 total. If one died he would just disappear. There'd be nothing I could do to retrieve it and it wouldn't cause any problems in the tank. I know I lost the first froglet they produced, and I originally had a trio but the odd man out wasted away for whatever reason. He just wouldn't eat despite tons of food in the tank.

Archived