Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Vic's 180 Gallon Vivarium (previously a paludarium)

Withers

Wow this is awesome! I have been wanting to do a dart frog viv for a while.. maybe if I take a break from reefing.. I'm going to have to start from page one and look at this build..

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is really awesome Jason. Makes me want to do something like this on a smaller scale. Just curious do you uave any links or resources about the type of equipment you use?

Can we see some pictures of your sump/filtration equipment? And maybe an explanation of the different equipment that goes in to creating something like this?

Hmm, I don't really have anything showing the equipment used, but there's much less than you probably think. The misting system is from www.mistking.com. It's just a water reservoir connected to a high pressure pump and runs to the nozzles at the top. My "fogger" is just an ultrasonic humidifier that I plumbed into the tank. The lights are just 15watt LEDs in a cheap track lighting setup from Lowes. Aside from that, the only other piece of equipment is my internal circulation fans and they're just PC fans powered by a fan controller.

When it was still a paludarium I used a simple sump with a HOB filter and a mag 5 that I had to throttle WAY back as a return.

I'll take a picture tonight to show everything hidden by the stand. It's basically just a bucket for the water reservoir and the humidifer down there.

I absolutely love this whole thing. :wub:

Really cool! Very nice setup you have

Beautiful! :)

Thanks guys :happy:

Wow this is awesome! I have been wanting to do a dart frog viv for a while.. maybe if I take a break from reefing.. I'm going to have to start from page one and look at this build..

Do it! It's a very rewarding hobby.

• 2 weeks later...

I still haven't taken a picture of the equipment under the stand but I'll try to remember to tonight.

Added a truckload of resurrection ferns. They're still adapting to the wetter climate but they're looking better and better every day

• 4 weeks later...

I really like this setup. I just may need to set something up like this with Brazilian Yellow heads. :wub:

I have never cared for dart frogs before though or even had a vivarium. Time to learn something new! and to find a forum for this new hobby...

This is such a cool setup. I have my old vivarium in storage and this thread is tempting me to start it up again.

Thats awesome. :happy:

Such a cool setup and love the frogs :)

Thanks!

I really like this setup. I just may need to set something up like this with Brazilian Yellow heads. :wub:

I have never cared for dart frogs before though or even had a vivarium. Time to learn something new! and to find a forum for this new hobby...

www.dendroboard.com :)

This is such a cool setup. I have my old vivarium in storage and this thread is tempting me to start it up again.

do it!

Deleted User 4

Talk about flawless photography. What would add more insanity is if Vic started a saltwater build. :)

Didn't you have a saltwater tank in the past?

I still haven't taken a picture of the equipment under the stand but I'll try to remember to tonight.

Added a truckload of resurrection ferns. They're still adapting to the wetter climate but they're looking better and better every day

8644717802_f91e7a3f57_c.jpg

Holy Shit this is the most amazing thing I've seen.

Thanks. I just found it before I saw this. I am going to start with a pair of Cobalt Dendrobates Tinctorius.

I want to copy your lighting setup but I cannot seem to figure out the supports you used. :lol: The lighting in that tank is better than perfect. I especially like the fog at the bottom.

Talk about flawless photography. What would add more insanity is if Vic started a saltwater build. :) Didn't you have a saltwater tank in the past?

A saltwater paludarium would be pretty unique to both hobbies. Maybe if he needs some inspiration. ;)

Reef Fever

great looking Viv..been wanting to set one up for some time. Just dont have the room right now. Hopefully when I move into my own place, 2 reef tanks and a bearded dragon terrarium make my room quite cramped at the moment lol

Great to see that this is still up and going. SOOO COOL!!

Great job. keep it up.

Thanks!

Talk about flawless photography. What would add more insanity is if Vic started a saltwater build. :) Didn't you have a saltwater tank in the past?

I've had a few, but they're too much work for me to keep looking nice.

Holy Shit this is the most amazing thing I've seen.

Haha, thanks!

Thanks. I just found it before I saw this. I am going to start with a pair of Cobalt Dendrobates Tinctorius.

I want to copy your lighting setup but I cannot seem to figure out the supports you used. :lol: The lighting in that tank is better than perfect. I especially like the fog at the bottom.

I did a how-to on them a while back. Here's the link.

http://www.dendroboard.com/forum/parts-construction/77142-how-build-your-own-ada-style-light-stand.html

I can dig up the link for the bulbs too if I haven't provided that. The rest of the bits came from Lowes.

great looking Viv..been wanting to set one up for some time. Just dont have the room right now. Hopefully when I move into my own place, 2 reef tanks and a bearded dragon terrarium make my room quite cramped at the moment lol

Yeah that sounds like a lot of work :lol:

• 1 month later...

Thanks and you definitely should!

More froglet pics. He's slowly working his way to the bottom of the tank where the food is, thankfully.

9241872555_ed49086b65_b.jpg
Froglet #2 by jasonwithers, on Flickr

9241873081_d71554789c_b.jpg
Froglet #2 by jasonwithers, on Flickr
I also just watched the male check out the tadpole and call the female over to lay an unfertilized egg for it to eat, pretty cool :)

Archived