ReefCleaners.org

Vic's 180 Gallon Vivarium (previously a paludarium)

Withers

Its the extra mile to make sure you dont lose any livestock. but if you do not want to test, then choose only hardy species for both plants and fish/inverts, and do small water changes to prevent the pH disaster.

if you dont test, i guess you'll just do the fish-in cycling method then. or get fast growing plants in there first and then add the fish in small amounts for barely any cycle at all (hopefully).

also.....floating plants.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
or get fast growing plants in there first and then add the fish in small amounts for barely any cycle at all (hopefully).

This is the plan, but I do have test kits. I'll be testing throughout the cycle, but I'm only going to be choosing hardy fish as well.

will your poison darts climb the driftwood? are you going to get some tree frogs too?

The frogs I'm choosing will probably never leave the driftwood. I likely won't have any other frogs in there.

This tank is sexy. Need frogies though.

I know what I'm getting when I move out :D

Go for it! They're simpler to care for than reef tanks :)

simplyjessi

:wizard:

This is epic! I've started something similar (not even close though, I just wanted to make myself feel better) for my Cresties. lol

How do the frogs you want to keep breed? i'm guessing they carry the eggs and tadpoles up to a certain point? but do they eventually drop them into the water to develop? if they do, you want to select very small fish that wont eat the developing frogs, or larger species of frog. any species of FW fish is capable of eating/killing a developing frog if its small enough to bite.

will your poison darts climb the driftwood? are you going to get some tree frogs too?

Fail.

Different species of frogs can't live together. Darts are daytime animals and most tree frogs are nocturnal. They would bother each other. Plus darts can't swim very well and they need land over water.

And yes, darts can climb, Squared. ;)

do you have to pic up frog poo or the plants absorb it or wat

The microfauna will eat it away.

How do the frogs you want to keep breed? i'm guessing they carry the eggs and tadpoles up to a certain point? but do they eventually drop them into the water to develop? if they do, you want to select very small fish that wont eat the developing frogs, or larger species of frog. any species of FW fish is capable of eating/killing a developing frog if its small enough to bite.

Darts lay their eggs on land and when they hatch the male will carry them to a body of water (typically a bromeliad cup) and the mother will lay an unfertilized egg in the water for the tadpole to eat. I would assume if the OP breeds them that he would remove the eggs and do something special to raise them.

do you have to pic up frog poo or the plants absorb it or wat

Frog poop = plant fertilizer

See below for the most part.

Darts lay their eggs on land and when they hatch the male will carry them to a body of water (typically a bromeliad cup) and the mother will lay an unfertilized egg in the water for the tadpole to eat. I would assume if the OP breeds them that he would remove the eggs and do something special to raise them.

Ranitomeya are non-obligate egg feeders, so I won't need to pull the eggs. R. vanzolinii are renowned for their parenting skills so they should be quite proficient without my intervention :)

Now, BROMELIADS! I wanted reds and yellows (to be accent colors), but I had no idea they would be so enormous! So now I'm going to have to work hard to balance them out with a lot of greens.

6024427748_c032a2df3d_z.jpg

Neo. Strawberry Blush (this mofo is HUGE, easily 12" in diameter)

6023862835_b3118902ef_z.jpg

Neo. Walking Tall

6023864685_af8f75b77e_z.jpg

Neo. Gold Fever (needs to unfold quite a bit)

6024417596_c88f530bcc_z.jpg

Neo. Cocktail

6024419124_00b893d445_b.jpg

Neo. Kawika x Hawaiin Rainforest

6023866083_5a1595ecae_z.jpg

Neo. Pauciflora x Kautskyi

6023866681_72450657b5_z.jpg

Neo. Shamrock

6024421372_9698881eaf_z.jpg

maybe a giant anubias in the water. eventually it should throw leaves out of the water and would probably look nice!

BLoCkCliMbeR

what kind of fish list do you have?

just tetras? :rolleyes:

ive been on an endler's kick for some reason...maybe its b/c they have always been hard to find for me...

Nice viv,Vick. Question where are you getting the vanzolli? We've been looking for a pair.

Try Chris Miller (www.ranitomeya.com) or Chris Teem (www.rainforestherps.com/)

I got all the broms from Chris Teem, who I'm pretty sure got them from Jason DeSantis in Florida

Archived