Innovative Marine Aquariums

Vic's 180 Gallon Vivarium (previously a paludarium)

Withers

WOW! Love it. What are your plans for froggy sexy time? Are you just going to let them use the broms, or stash some 35mm film canisters around?

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
photographer07

+1

i have been keeping darts for a while now and i love them. i have a trio of Dendro Azureus that i suspect are a 2.1 trio. they are about a year OTW so im thinking i will soon see tads.

a couple of questions

1. is that epiweb you are using on the backround?

2. where are you getting the frogs from?

The only concern that i have is darts dont swim so well, and will chase FF into the water so make sure you have plenty of ways out for them.

P.S. This is a great looking setup and i look forward to seeing the end result.

I have less money tied up in this than I did in my 18 gallon ADA reef :shrug: I'm just now pushing $1k

Kazooie, I have ferns coming in this week, that fan shall disappear from view soon hopefully.

Thanks! It's turning out as about as good as I could have hoped so far :)

Freshwater tank noob question: Should I use tapwater to initially fill the tank? I could get RO water for 50 cents a gallon, but apparently that's not really beneficial for freshwater tanks? The other option I have is city water, or the "filtered" tap water one of my LFS' sells at 50 cents a gallon (same as RO water, wtf?)

It depends on the fish. for tetras and the like, tap water with the de-chlorination stuff works. I do NOT know if that's okay for froggies though.

I don't think it would be an issue for them either, though I don't know for sure. I've always used RO or distilled in all their tanks to avoid mineral deposits.

I've heard that RO water can actually be dangerous to use with amphibians. Their skin is so porous that very pure water can screw up they're electrolyte balance and kill them. That is, of course, if you were to put a frog in a cup of RO water, because obviously you're going to have some minerals/salts/organic compounds in your water since it's in a viv - heck, you just said the water was cloudy - so there's probably no need to worry about it. But just a thought. Other than that, keep up the awesome work! I'm really exited to see this thin mature - it's gonna be beautiful. :)

apparently this aqua soil takes forever to clear up

5975965235_48e3835e0f_z.jpg

favorite ferns ever

5976528654_a7c7b77c7a_z.jpg

5975970335_f89daec701_z.jpg

I already had to move this guy. I guess only an orchid or bromeliad will survive up in that corner

5975971339_5446d0dc20_z.jpg

Lee Van Reef

Looking great!

I've read that aquasoil takes forever to clear up and it leaks ammonia and nitrates if not pre cycled or something.

Lee Van Reef

Yea, I can't see why it would be. This is going to look awesome grown out. When are you adding the frogs?

Archived