Top Shelf Aquatics

Vic's 180 Gallon Vivarium (previously a paludarium)

Withers

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rocks and ####

5996261520_872097d09f_z.jpg

it's also got this film on the surface, I'm not sure what it is but it's pretty oily. It doesn't disperse very easily when you run your fingers through it.

5995705485_d93ce45de5_z.jpg

added some hoya and moved some stuff around. i was hoping my order of bromeliads would come in yesterday, but they never did

6007893501_4d645ce37b_z.jpg

looks great with the plants now!

I have kept FW tanks for more than 12 years now and still keep FW planted setups around, so if you need any tips on FW fish, inverts or plants, I could help too.

The water section bothers me as well haha(i saw someone mention this a few pages back), do you think the frogs will be fine with all that water area?

The film at the surface is just all extra stuff leeching from the soil, and the substrate you just bought. it will go away with time and water changes. BTW how are you going to do water changes on this, and how much are you willing to do?

Don't forget to let this thing fully cycle before putting any animals in . for that you should probably get a FW test kit. Just treat it like a regular FW planted tank ;)

As far as livetock and plant choices for the submerged area go, what are you thinking? (i saw celestial danios on previous pages)

looks great with the plants now!

I have kept FW tanks for more than 12 years now and still keep FW planted setups around, so if you need any tips on FW fish, inverts or plants, I could help too.

The water section bothers me as well haha(i saw someone mention this a few pages back), do you think the frogs will be fine with all that water area?

The film at the surface is just all extra stuff leeching from the soil, and the substrate you just bought. it will go away with time and water changes. BTW how are you going to do water changes on this, and how much are you willing to do?

Don't forget to let this thing fully cycle before putting any animals in . for that you should probably get a FW test kit. Just treat it like a regular FW planted tank ;)

As far as livetock and plant choices for the submerged area go, what are you thinking? (i saw celestial danios on previous pages)

I'm definitely confident that the frogs will be fine. They have a footprint about the size of a nickel full grown, they'll likely spend 99% of the time never even touching the ground portion of the tank. I have a smaller tank with similar frogs and I can count the number of times I've seen them touch the ground on one hand.

Water changes will hopefully be minimal since this is pretty much the definition of a low-tech planted setup, but when need be I'll perform them just like I would with any tank with a sump. Drain from the display, replace water into the sump.

ok, if you want to keep water changes minimal, make sure you do not stock fully. you said there are about 50 gallons of water in there?

also you will want to use faster growing plants for nutrient absorption than java fern. aquatic mosses are decent at doing that. stem plants are best and so are floating plants.

once you get your test kit, test the pH of your paludarium water (once cycled), and also test the pH of your tap water (after you let it sit for a day or overnight to let it lose extra CO2). then depending on what you get for the pH, to make life easier on yourself, base your fish choice on that.

amazonia naturally lowers the pH in the water right? then if your tap water pH turns out to be more than7 -7.5, you should do water changes in small increments as to not pH shock your fish. this way the substrate can act on a smaller amount of tap water and round everything out to an acidic pH unnoticed. as opposed to you adding 25 gals of tap water with 7.6pH to your paludarium which stands at about 6.4pH and letting the substrate and DW bring it down. the rapid initial shift to 7+pH will probably kill fish.

I'd like to see those two pH measurements at some point in this thread, just to see what you are working with.

that sounds like a lot of work

the whole point of setting it up as low-tech was so i didn't have to do any work

You can stay very low tech. I have a fw planted setup that i went for 8 months without doing any water changes in, and my shrimps kept breeding away and my otocinclus and pygmy cories and dwarf pencilfish got along well. I kept some java moss and some swords, even HM for awhile until it took over and i tossed it all out.

Archived