Innovative Marine Aquariums

Vic's 180 Gallon Vivarium (previously a paludarium)

Withers

Yeah that's true, the pipe is cheap enough it's just not worth the risk. I'll just put a support right beside it to take the weight off it.

• Replies 460
  • Created
  • Last Reply
schgr.cube

Agreed with pheallox, I wouldn't risk it. When I did vivariums, I always just had something that was natural and hollowed out underneath to cover up my overflows / drainage pipes. Not sure what you could use for this application, but I'm sure there is something available.

Also I love the controller....Newegg from the box right.....and you can us this pump on that controller also.

Ok I'm lost, wtf does the pump do?

Agreed with pheallox, I wouldn't risk it. When I did vivariums, I always just had something that was natural and hollowed out underneath to cover up my overflows / drainage pipes. Not sure what you could use for this application, but I'm sure there is something available.

Hopefully I won't need to cover it with anything. It's going to be pretty slow moving water and if the fish aren't retarded they shouldn't get sucked in, but even if they do they'll just end up in the sump, no big deal.

Active cooling for CPUs....for the really hardcore.

That's a sweet fan controller!

Eheim pumps are the absolute coolest.

It runs off AC via 4pin molex just like a pc fan so you can use the controller to power and regulate the flow.

Yeah I really like archer fish too, but I'd also be worried that they might shoot the frogs. There was a guy in NC that had a 300 gallon paludarium with archer fish and it was pretty much the coolest thing ever.

Ok I need help, I haven't had a freshwater tank in.... 15 years? The water portion of this tank will be: 36x24x10 (approximately 50 gallons) along with a 20 gallon sump, probably half filled. Filtration is up in the air right now but it's probably going to be a cannister filter. Here's where I'm at with fish right now.

Celestial Pearl Danio - 6 or more of these and they're top priority

lg-39875-danio.jpg

Some type of surface dwelling Killifish, maybe Golden Dream Panchax Killifish, maybe something else

p-89309-Panchax.jpg

and a group of either corys or otos

I also like cherry barbs and rummynose tetras, but I'm not sure how many fish I can really keep in this setup. I know we've got some freshwater gurus here, so let me know what you think :)

Are there any good sites for buying freshwater fish? I know I can trust LiveAquaria but the rest I've found I'm just not sure about.

I love the CPDs. For killies, I always like the australes for bright orange color. Good choice of fish - they will clean up and really color up from any wingless ff that make it into the water. Look up msjinkzd (sp?) in the vendor section of aquariacentraldotcom. She always has a great selection, and often has the least expensive prices I've seen. Another fave, chili rasboras - but you would need a lot of them to even notice them in a setup like that.

Come to think of it, if you were to get some mop spawning killies, I'd drop one water hyacinth in the aquatic section and watch the magic happen.

Thanks! In my experience fruit flies are, well, rather bad at avoiding water so I definitely wanted something that will clean them up.

I hadn't even seen Chilli Rasboras, I like them a lot!

animalmaster6

You have to check out hatchetfish. They are just like Archer Fish except they swim more, are smaller, and don't spit at bugs.

I believe Segrest Farms has good livestock. I found them out through CORAL magazine.

It says they're wholesale only, they don't sell to the public :(

the wife shot down hatchets unfortunately. i'm already on thin ice with this tank due to it's size (despite me describing how big it would be multiple times), so i don't want to press my luck

yes lol

These guys are also a possibility but would cost me a fortune to have a school of them

p-26121-rubyred.gif

• 2 weeks later...

stand :happy:

5714803572_a1811bec66_z.jpg

wood. You can't really tell, but the piece on the bottom right is nearly 3 feet long for a size reference

5714804374_473466db81_z.jpg

kriskristofferzen
Thanks! In my experience fruit flies are, well, rather bad at avoiding water so I definitely wanted something that will clean them up.

I hadn't even seen Chilli Rasboras, I like them a lot!

i have ordered from msjinkzd as well, got some cool dwarf catfish and the chili rasboras, very little and very cool. I agree with the earlier comment, the prices are good and the quality is great.

i have ordered from msjinkzd as well, got some cool dwarf catfish and the chili rasboras, very little and very cool. I agree with the earlier comment, the prices are good and the quality is great.

oh, if you really want some unnecessary cool color, you could also do some sakura shrimp, i have gotten them from her as well. love those little red suckers. :D

Ok I need help, I haven't had a freshwater tank in.... 15 years? The water portion of this tank will be: 36x24x10 (approximately 50 gallons) along with a 20 gallon sump, probably half filled. Filtration is up in the air right now but it's probably going to be a cannister filter. Here's where I'm at with fish right now.

Celestial Pearl Danio - 6 or more of these and they're top priority

lg-39875-danio.jpg

Some type of surface dwelling Killifish, maybe Golden Dream Panchax Killifish, maybe something else

p-89309-Panchax.jpg

and a group of either corys or otos

I also like cherry barbs and rummynose tetras, but I'm not sure how many fish I can really keep in this setup. I know we've got some freshwater gurus here, so let me know what you think :)

Are there any good sites for buying freshwater fish? I know I can trust LiveAquaria but the rest I've found I'm just not sure about.

This looks like an awesome build and I can't wait to see the finished piece!

Have you thought of maybe a pictus catfish? They're very active and stay only a few inches long. Not sure how much room in the water you'll have, but it looks to be enough.

5401538891_1e085d1156_z.jpg

Pictus Catfish by jasonrallen, on Flickr

Brooklyngal

I'd be worried that pictus cats might be a bit on the large size, plus I'd wager that any small schooling fish get eaten pretty quickly.

if you like the pearl danios, then maybe shoot for a school of about 8, which will keep the top half of the tank occupied. then 6-8 cherry barbs and like four of five cories (peppered, adolfoi, julii, sterbas) would keep the lower half active, and a show fish or two to tie it all together- I'd go for either a m/f pair of pearl gouramis or a single gold gourami.

Archived