Top Shelf Aquatics

Peroxide saves my Tank! With pics to Prove It!

Reef Miser

• 2 weeks later...

I had been fighting two algaes for some time, now one is gone and hair algae is holding on strong. It isn't taking over, but even with daily removal, it still is trying to go crazy. Problem is my sand is also growing hair algae... As of now the tank looks ok with only some isolated spots of hair algae, but this is due to exhausting manual removal daily. I am running Rowaphos, marco in fuge, and manual removal. I test zero phosphates with hana phosphate checker and Salifert test kit. My question is with a 75 gallon display and aprox. 25 gallon in sump water volume,could I run a few days of 3 percent H202 @ 1 ml to every 10 gallons as a test/effort to knock it out totally? At this point I would be overun if I stopped removing manually....

Steensj2004, I wouldn't dose the tank. External peroxide treatments are more effective and safer.

I'm guessing that phosphate is undetectable due to the bloom itself (plus the GFO and refugium). I suspect the rock (and/or sand) is leaching phosphate. Are the phosphate reducing measures new or have you been using them for awhile now?

Been running reactor with GFO since day one, refugium and macro added about a month ago. I just am worried about removing rock, lots of gobies and a pistol I'm concerned about crushing, not to mention the sand is infested and I can't seem to get it all out manually....I do a good job , but inevitably I miss some...

I see. I know that certain shrimp are very sensitive to peroxide. Treating the tank might not be an option.

You might rely on herbivores like Turbo Snails, an urchin, or even a Tang (maybe a Kole Yellow Eye Tang).

I have one urchin(longspine) my snails don't seem to touch it. I'm so discouraged. This morning I noticed the slimey stuff is back on one rock. Eveb if I treat eternally won't some peroxide make it back into the tank?

Some, but if you rinse it twice (in two different buckets of old water change tank water), not much will make it into the tank.

However, if you have a real nutrient problem (nutrients leaching from the rocks or sand bed), this might be an ongoing struggle. I might be inclined to replace the sand bed (removing everything like a tank upgrade). You could treat the rocks with peroxide during the process. IDK, just a thought. I'll let others weigh in now.

Craaap..... *BANG! * (high velocity brain matter all over wall) lol....

So question, if I used peroxide externally and cleaned rocks, and knocked algae down enough would the large amount of macro in my sump out compete the hair algae?

Some, but if you rinse it twice (in two different buckets of old water change tank water), not much will make it into the tank. However, if you have a real nutrient problem (nutrients leaching from the rocks or sand bed), this might be an ongoing struggle. I might be inclined to replace the sand bed (removing everything like a tank upgrade). You could treat the rocks with peroxide during the process. IDK, just a thought. I'll let others weigh in now.

All rock removed and misted with peroxide from spray bottle and scrubbed. Rinsed 2x and placed back into tank. Tons of bristle worms and brittle stars died....ugh. no issues with any corals other than some slimming from LPS I had to scrub some hair algae off their skeletons. Hair algae turning white I just hope this all works or I quit...

I also started dosing my freshwater just to see if anything happened and in two days the water had turned clearer than ever. Im going to use this once every two weeks to keep it looking great, working so far.

I don't expect it's over just yet, but don't quit. Keep at it, and good luck.

So, what exactly should I be looking for at this point? Corals seem to be doing well, but I obviously wasn't able to get 100% of the Hair algae scrubbed off. When the rock wen back into the tank, there were several small sections that had dime sized or smaller patches of hair algae. There are a lot of algae strands that are turning white, thats a good sign,right? I have used a toothbrush and siphon to get some of the obvious missed spots, but I am unsure that I was able to get 100% removal. I just need some advice on where to go from here. I considered starting a small maintainance dose of say 1/2 mL to 10 gallons to help aid the die off? I haven't noticed any browning of SPS, although I did manage to knock over my Green Digi and break some growth <_<. My biggest issue is the sand, it gets so clumpy with spots of hair algae. It happens fast, I was however able to remove/siphon much more with rock removed.....And the Aquascape looks much better now that I re-arranged the rockwork. You think the algae could be an issue from lack of flow? I have another ecotech powerhead coming this week. I seem to remember people saying low flow/dead spots facilitate algae growth? :wacko:

So, what exactly should I be looking for at this point? Corals seem to be doing well, but I obviously wasn't able to get 100% of the Hair algae scrubbed off.

Look for areas to spot treat (versus treating an entire rock or your tank).

When the rock wen back into the tank, there were several small sections that had dime sized or smaller patches of hair algae. There are a lot of algae strands that are turning white, thats a good sign,right?

Yeah, that's a good sign. If they are small sections, spot treatments will be your best option.

I have used a toothbrush and siphon to get some of the obvious missed spots, but I am unsure that I was able to get 100% removal. I just need some advice on where to go from here.

Pay very close attention to your phosphate level. You've removed/killed algae that has been utilizing phosphate (and nitrate). Not only isn't there less algae to utilize the nutrients, but the dying algae could release it back into your tank.

I considered starting a small maintainance dose of say 1/2 mL to 10 gallons to help aid the die off? I haven't noticed any browning of SPS, although I did manage to knock over my Green Digi and break some growth.

Again, I'd recommend external treatment.

My biggest issue is the sand, it gets so clumpy with spots of hair algae. It happens fast, I was however able to remove/siphon much more with rock removed.....And the Aquascape looks much better now that I re-arranged the rockwork.

I wish you could replace the sand bed. I have a feeling that it's a major contributor to your problems.

You think the algae could be an issue from lack of flow? I have another ecotech powerhead coming this week. I seem to remember people saying low flow/dead spots facilitate algae growth?

Flow will help keep wastes in suspension so that your filtration can remove it. Lack of flow might have caused it to settle on the substrate. This might have been what happened.

Gotcha, Spot treat how exactly? Also, I have lots of saltwater standing by to do some water changes in the next week to combat nutrient increase, as well as Macro in sump. I am also skimming at full tilt....Wouldn't new sand just exasterbate my issues? New sand is known to leech phosphates,right?

Gotcha, Spot treat how exactly?

Take the rock out of the tank, use an eyedropper to apply straight 3% peroxide directly on the algae (not letting it get on sensitive inverts), let it oxidize for a minute, rinse thoroughly, and return to your tank.

Wouldn't new sand just exasterbate my issues? New sand is known to leech phosphates,right?

Nah, it shouldn't. But it might cause a diatom bloom.

Gotcha....man, what a Nightmare. Now my concern is my DBS in my Sump :unsure: , although I dont have any algae problems in my sump. Meh, what a nightmare. Would more frequent water changes help with keeping nutrients way down, aid in keeping the algae in a weakend state , keeping it starved for food long enough to kill it off? Right now I am doing a weekly 25% change, but could do more... I really dread replacing a 75 gallon, 1.5 inch sandbed. craaaaaap :closedeyes:

Remember my holding tank from a couple of pages ago?
081913a.jpg
The algae had actually grown some since then.

Well I decided to try and clean it up a little yesterday.
091513a.jpg
Some manual removal before I started. That's a gallon sized Ziploc.

I mixed salt mix with straight 3% peroxide and dipped everything (except the fish). Then I rinsed everything prior to returning it to the tank. Oh yeah, I also performed a 100% water change.
091513b.jpg
Here it is today. I don't recommend this treatment for everyone. The impact is fairly severe.

My RBTA has looked better. Yeah, I know, I was warned about this ahead of time.
091513c.jpg

This Purple Tipped Green BTA got a much quicker dip (with less time in the air to oxidize).
091513d.jpg
There's still a decent amount of algae on this rock. And my Clownfish is like what the heck happened to my squishy?

Some Rock Flower Anemones seem to be more effected than others.
091513e.jpg

You can see that there is still a lot of work to do, in order to get rid of all of the algae.
091513f.jpg

Here's that Mini Carpet that I previously treated. It didn't have much reaction this time.
091513g.jpg

See, My tank is NOWHERE NEAR that bad. I had maybe a dozen dime to nickle sized clumps along with a bunch of small filiments here and there. The sand gets random brownish green hairy spots that are easy to suck up with my new siphon which utilizes a long piece of 1/2 inch PVC. I am not out of resolve yet, I would go bare bottom but I have some livestock that requires sand.... Those pictures give me hope, I've worked to long and to hard to give up now. Thanks Bass! :D

As far as the H202 process, it does work well, I had nearly no issues with corals softies to SPS. Normal polyp extension and no real issues. The scrubbing of some LPS' skeletons with a soft toothbrush to remove hair caused some sliming,but none caused from treatment. I may have gone overboard, I misted more H202 than was likely needed, and as a result rinsed 2x well in saltwater. Definately, this process gives you the upper hand in the fight. I imagined some magic cure, but in reality H202 only gives you a tool to combat the algae. I found,at least in my case, that Elbow grease and husbandry are still the most important tools to have. I believe expecting the H202 to be anything more than one tool to facilitate the means to an end. Thanks to all the guys who pinoeered this thread!

Right now I am doing a weekly 25% change, but could do more.

That's a lot for a 75 gallon tank. I can't see recommending more. I don't think the issue is deficient water changes.

I really dread replacing a 75 gallon, 1.5 inch sandbed. craaaaaap :closedeyes:

You know, that's just speculation on my part. I have no way of knowing if this is really the cause of your problems.

That's a lot for a 75 gallon tank. I can't see recommending more. I don't think the issue is deficient water changes.

Gotcha, I never had any issues with water quality before the algae started.... I really can't understand what happened, something must have slipped by me.

You know, that's just speculation on my part. I have no way of knowing if this is really the cause of your problems.

Well, I understand, but I will keep that under my hat as am option in the event I can't clear this up otherwise .Thanks

Bad news; I lost my beautiful RBTA. Too long of exposure (both to peroxide and air). I feel bad about that.

However, the Green BTA has rebounded nicely. Due to the size of the rock, I was better able to control the very brief exposure times.092013a.jpg

And a current tank shot

092013b.jpg

(after using tweezers and brushing with a toothbrush).

I lost my Rainford Goby. I'm not sure it's related, but I do notice a lot less life in the 46 so I might have significantly killed off the food source. So not directly peroxide related, but something to be careful about when doing in tank treatments. I never noticed a sunken stomach, so not 100% sure the loss is related.

Not exactly sure how true it is; however, it's my belief that treating everything (or the whole tank) can negatively affect the biodiversity of life. It might be worth getting a fresh piece of live rock, or some sort of pod refresh kit after extensive treatment(s).

• Like 1

I noticed a lot of life dying during dips(although I used a pretty potent mix of peroxide-saltwater). Some amphipods, bristle worms, and brittle stars. Seabass is probably right, it wouldn't be a bad idea to get a recharge kit. Definitely had some life that didn't like it, but the results are undeniable.