Pod Your Reef

Anthonys 5 Gallon Tanks

Builder Anthony

Builder Anthony

Ya the asterias are little buggers when they get hungry.They would make a intresting species tank with a bunch of them in there.A little more intresting is the amount of sweepers i noticed about 10 minutes ago from the three new corals in the frag tank.Man there were sweepers everywhere.I had to reposition them so none of them would touch each other.The green ones shooting out like three inch tenitacles.When i turned on the lights some of them began winding back into the coral.A really intresting thing to see.I think it might be better the way i have it.Maybe ill post a picture when them come back out again.

Not to hijack your thread too much, but are you seeing the same pic as me? In place of a starfish, I see a bald dude with 'tash and tatts (you?) =0)

Builder Anthony

Following up on a few things.The orange eyed acan enchinta has healed all wounds within two days from bad water quality when first placed in the frag tank.

All corals in the frag tank are happy though the frogspawn did sting the Blueish white favia in two spots exposeing the skeleton on two heads.Minor damage and relocated the frogspawn to the side.

The new rainbow acan was fed white bass fish eggs the last coulpe of days and it seems really healthy.

Ich/Velvet is making its way back.

I noticed a 3 centimeter tissue loss on the lobo from high flow coming from the airline hose that was dislodged and left in postion.I tucked the airline backinto the rockwork but the lobophylia has been plumping up in light cycles.I think it is growing.It also has beeen eating the fish eggs but target feeding is very minimal.

The dunjcan coral was dislodged somehow in the frag tank.I think its from the two ceriths smals i put in there to take care of the algae.It was night when i noticed this and it was closed up.It looked alright but i dont want to lose a head of this so im debateing on even reglueing it to a frag plug or touching the thing at all.I did bump it to a new spot with minimal touching and the two lose peices remained intact.

Builder Anthony

DSCF1583-3.jpg

Well my biggest asteria ate my small bleaching ricordea.I seen him on it but i think i noticed it to late and just let him eat it.All the photos here were taken with a quick lights on while the corals were previously in the dark.They are out of the water change jar and on the right front side of the frag tank up against the glass.

DSCF1582-2.jpg

The yellow clown gobys

DSCF1580-2.jpg

You can see the healing head of the ducan is reforming a new head

DSCF1576-5.jpg

There is also a entirely new head that i never noticed and its a real good start for it.

DSCF1579-3.jpg

This rock is doing real well with new feather dusters new white polyps and the clam on it has been growing along with a sponge and the blue cloves.Its just covered.

DSCF1584-2.jpg

Frag Tank

Night time shots here also.I had to pull the purple zoas off the dromible crab because i think the tank is getting colder at night and i have no heater in there.I noticed the purple polyps were turnig a whiteish color and i dont want to lose them.

DSCF1577-2.jpg

You can see the sweepers that come out at night on this.

DSCF1578-1.jpg

This coral floureces a greenish color on new growth areas.

Edited by Builder Anthony
Builder Anthony

Doseing 3 drops of calcium and 3 drops of magneisum every other day.Its basicly for my star polyps because if they dont open then i dose and they do.I figure theres alot of calcium being sucked up as well with the coraline on the rock on the left and most of the corals in here have a skeleton.

Builder Anthony

The pistol shrimp is hanging out on the left side of the tank but i dont know where it hides.Ive only seen it once when i took a picture of it.

DSCF1527-9.jpg

DSCF1545-6.jpg

Fed today ate some shrimp along with most of the corals in the tank.I ran out of white bass eggs and the fish were being picky about eating cyclops or rotifers.They like shrimp though.

DSCF1531-7.jpg

Wacthing this frag closely after the cutting the edge turned brown but it has since lost that mucus and it has blown off.One bad thing about doing frags on these is that it seems you will lose the head next to the cut.

The pink sponge seems to be growing well and theres a few new little dusters on it.

DSCF1530-8.jpg

DSCF1529-9.jpg

Took a head off for a frag i sold came off cleanly but i didnt like taking it out of the tank.

DSCF1535-6.jpg

Whatevers growing here is doing well.The asteria is right next to it but im confident it wont eat this coral.I think is a blasto.

DSCF1534-6.jpg

Fed shrimp today but this acan i noticed has lost some color since the purchase.Im hopeing it will regain them in time.For now thats where its going to stay.

DSCF1533-2.jpg

DSCF1532-7.jpg

Random

DSCF1536-5.jpg

Moved these out of the sandbed they were on the left before.I really couldnt reach them well and they werent getting good light.I wasnt able to feed them either so this is there new spot.

DSCF1542-4.jpg

Heads doing well with the one that was cut regrowing and the one baby underneath is doing well.

DSCF1540-6.jpg

Xeina spreading its foot.

DSCF1539-7.jpg

Water change jar

The coral skeletons in here were bought and not killed.I like the branching peice i picked it up like a week ago.Theres a small plate in there too i had for a while.Theres a huge fireworm in here maybe 6 inches,hermit crab,dromible crab,pods,some sponge like orange i seen for the first time today and a few leather corals.It doesnt get that much like but still is doing decent.

DSCF1550-5.jpg

Frag Tank

Yellow clown gobys in here in final stage of ich velvet.Doing very well in this tank.The neon is in the other tank as i cant cacth him.I dont even try because its fast and doesnt like the net at all.

DSCF1526-12.jpg

The leathers in here arent open and the green one on the left isnt flouresceing but the blue atinics were only on before these photos were taken so they were closed up sleeping.

DSCF1525-6.jpg

DSCF1524-10.jpg

DSCF1523-7.jpg

DSCF1522-8.jpg

Kenya tree not doing so hot but it attaced itself to a plug on its own.Still suffering from asteria that chewed the base.

DSCF1521-8.jpg

Yellow clown tryen to draw sweepers out to fight ich/velvet.I also solved the sweeper problem of this coral by putting it in high flow.Sweepers no longer come out.

DSCF1520-9.jpg

Nice feather duster in the center.The peice has a greenish color when growing.It looks neat under atinic blue because the orange heads light up.No atinics in this shot though.

DSCF1518-6.jpg

Frags being sent out

DSCF1517-8.jpg

Builder Anthony

Ya but he doesnt have the polyps on his back.I took them off of there because theres no heater in there.I actually bought it for 10 bucks but it had a sponge on its back.You can check like page one or two and read up about it.It does eat coral.Mostly hard coral and hammers.Anything that looks nice.Its a decorator crab so it will see something it like and thorw it on its back feet which hold things.I wouldnt recomend it for any sort of reef tank unless you dont mind it eating your corals or have a critter tank.5 bucks plus shipping.

Builder Anthony

Hey Newman ive been reading about those porcilian crabs you have i thought it was funny in one of the pictures you posted when you took the crab out of its main tank.It really did look ticked off in the photos.

Well the white chition i found way back in the begining of my tank hasnt grown much its maybe 5-6 centimeters.It comes out in the basicly the same spot every night.

I also seen a 4 inch worm hunting in the holes of the favia with most of its body out so i tried siphioning it out but i wasnt ablt to.I tried to pul it out with tweesers but landed up snapping the thing in half.I felt bad about it because i wanted to put it in the water change jar.It was still alive but i hope the big bristle worm eats it to put it out of its misery.

The dromible crab is decorated with some macro algase and has been since i pulled the polyps off his back legs that he uses to hold things on his back.

No signs of brown slime disease on the favia i fraged.

The yellow clowns are 95 percent clean of ich/velvet but the neon goby in the display tank has about 12 dots on him.I think im going to do a 50 percent water change tommrow in the display tank tommrow.I been feeding shrimp to most of the corals and its going to be the standard food now for both tanks.

Builder Anthony

DSCF1557-4.jpg

New addition

Yellow colves

3x3

Suffering badly from byrosis and really rooted into the cloves which isnt good at all.It looks like the cloves develoep a harder skin to resist it so i pulled some of that off with tweesers and its really bad.I hope my emerald goes up there and eats some of it.I think ill put my nerite and cerith snails on it if i see them on the glass.I has broyosisi before but it disappeared.THat was in the very begining of this tan with the bubble caulpera but something ate it.Im not sure what did though.I suspect the emerald did because he was hanging out over there at ther time.Theres some small orange clove polyps on it as hicth hictkers that looks like some sort of blue clove but orange.Random neon green daisy polyps on it as well.After looking at the peice ive come up with the peice was covered in bryosis and the person who shiped it might have tried killing off the bryosis by keeping the entire rock out of light.Its the only thing that makes sense since they didint open up and looked starved of light.There wouldnt be that much paleness to the rock itself with only overnight shipping.

This is after manual removal with tweesers.

DSCF1553-7.jpg

Some that were removed from the main rock without removal of byrosis.

DSCF1562-4.jpg

DSCF1554-3.jpg

DSCF1558-4.jpg

DSCF1563-5.jpg

DSCF1561-4.jpg

New addition

Purple rimmed mushrooms with green dots.These dont eat anything from what i can tell but i still tryed droping some shrimp on it today but it just tilted its top and it feel off.

5x3 1/2

Some bleaching on 2 or 3 heads

DSCF1556-3.jpg

New addition

Red and green lobophylia

4x3

Two heads slightly damaged.Opened and ate some shrimp.

DSCF1555-3.jpg

New addition

Purple and green eyed favia

6.5 x 4

Has green sweepers up to 3 1/2 inches.These pop out at night and suddenly when feeding fish shrimp.I think im going to make some plastic walls out of some thin plastic to keep this and the other coral in check from stinging one another.I have to move that mushroom to.I was lucky it lasted the night.The colors on the sweepers is really nice.I guess sometime down the road ill have better shots of it.

DSCF1552-4.jpg

DSCF1551-5.jpg

Builder Anthony

Today will be the second day i add a drop of hydrogen proxide to both tanks.I added a single drop to both a few days ago and sincd have done some water changes.Im mainly doing this for the cloves that i picked up as they are carrying some nasty green algae.I been thinking about getting a small turbo snail as well.

The cloves are pretty much wide open now but there is alot of green hair algae.I dont want that spreading in my frag tank.

As for the favia everyday i wake up that thing is shooting out sweepers.Its a really neat peice.

Fraged peach leather.

Builder Anthony

Cyano on the sea fan and rock between that and the lobophlia.Small amount but enough to cause concern.

DSCF1575-2.jpg

DSCF1574-4.jpg

DSCF1573-2.jpg

DSCF1572-4.jpg

DSCF1570-3.jpg

Snails and star been doing a real good job cleaning this thing up.Some manualy removed as well with tweesers.1 drop every 3 days of hydrogen peroxide.Im not sure aboout peroxide i havent read up on it to much so just testing it a little since im not home to do much work on the tank.

Frag Tank

Less snails and no stars in here so im concerned about the green hair algae outbreak caused from some of the clove frags that is spreading onto the rack.

DSCF1578-2.jpg

DSCF1579-4.jpg

DSCF1577-3.jpg

DSCF1576-6.jpg

DSCF1567-2.jpg

DSCF1566-3.jpg

DSCF1580-3.jpg

DSCF1582-3.jpg

Anthony just to help man I was doing 3 drops per day, in a gallon reef, for weeks to test it the same, it did nothing. You w have to drain the tank for a big change and hit em spot treatments to see the power effect. whatever you touch w direct 3% w die (algae) its what I would do to save your awesome tank before it progresses. or hook up phosphate stripping media, quickly though. this stage of eutrophication moves very fast in the small packed reef. in just a couple days manual removal work it could all be 100% gone.

Edited by brandon429
Builder Anthony

Well the only problem i had was on the new clove rock that i had and i was just keeping a eye on it to make sure none spread off that rock to the other rock.I have since stoped the doseing of hydrogen proxide.I didnt really keep an eye on it to much but i didnt notice any changes really.

The clove rock is now in the frag tank since its been cleaned up manually but mostly from whatevers in the dislaplay tank.The asterias did a good job.I placed a few on there but i might suspect the emerald crab as well but i cant tell because it only comes out at night.

So now i seem to haved found the pefect spot for the blue candy cane up on this branch rock i found a while back.It barely shades the blue clove rock but does cover [2 little green manjos or something on the blue clove rock.I seen one pop out from under the blue candy cane but the larger one i still have to keep an eye out for.

Added some motitapora green and orange chips.The salt was at 27 when i added them and i probally droped it down to 25 with addtion of freshwater into the display.

• 1 month later...
Builder Anthony

One of my clowns died from a white dot on its gill and two in its mouth.First syntoms were a red gill inflamed with difficulty breathing.Syntoms occured while fish was heathly but cause the yellow clown goby to not eat.It took about five days for starvation to effect the fish with no let up of the white dots in the nouth though the gill healed with a fadeing of the dot but fish would not swallow food.Shimp was crushed into the water with micreo feeder food trying to feed the fish though water feedings.No algae blooms occored in the frag tank where the fish have been for the last month following up on a recent outbreak of ich.This was the quarentine tank and was only running about a little over a month.It was the male that passed away.Im not really to happy about it seeing this was the major acheivement i wanted this display tank for.The female might haved some sort problem down the road.Ever since i got this fish it has a odd looking mark on its side and im not sure what it is,So im not sure about getting another goby at least not till down thge road.

Frag tank

DSCF1628.jpg

New addition

This is some sort of maco algae if you look closely you can see the orange on the rim.

DSCF1660.jpg

New acan addition

DSCF1629.jpg

Favia throwing sweepers mostly at night.

DSCF1658.jpg

DSCF1654.jpg

Baby mushroom from the color faded mushroom reported on a while back is doing well and holding color.

DSCF1657.jpg

Hammer has two mouths now.

DSCF1645.jpg

Xeina from display

DSCF1646.jpg

Montitapora still around supriseingly

DSCF1639.jpg

Got this mushroom with my leather coral a while back it has green dots but i cant get any other color out of it yet.

DSCF1631.jpg

This thing im not sure if its loseing color or what its doing i know its edges have grown but i think theres some color loss.Sometimes its a weird pinkish color though.

DSCF1655.jpg

DSCF1646.jpg

Cleaned up the cloves from bryosis.It is deadly to cloves because it grows into them.Even removing it takes a part of the skin of the clove.The clove trys to form a thick layer to put the plant in check but without this shell coating it produches it grows better because it gets light in the stem and that how its spreads...........threw the stem.Only a small portion of bryosis left on it.

DSCF1656.jpg

DSCF1643.jpg

Frag tank

DSCF1652.jpg

Some plant growing on the edge of this that i have to trim.Tryen to see what the coral is going to do about it.

DSCF1651.jpg

DSCF1640.jpg

Coral wound from neighboring coral.Its healsing good but this brown slime was on it.Luckily i noticed it.I siphoned it out and was thinking about fraging it because of the slime but i didnt.I did clean it off real good though,

DSCF1648.jpg

Duncan healing from bad fraging.

DSCF1641.jpg

Some growth even though it hasnt been able to shoot out its sweepers in the current.6 inch sweepers on this.Theres a plastic sheild in the tank also.Its a real intresting coral but you need a big tank so it can strecth out.did i mention 6 inch sweepers.Looks nice but i only seen it a few times before placeing it in the current so that doesnt happen.

DSCF1638.jpg

Doing well

DSCF1632.jpg

Builder Anthony

Lost the new blue and orange acan from the hermit crab climbing on the top of the frag rack and it knocked the coral upsidedown into my big green coral.Im going to be returning that thing to the petstore it was a hicth hiker and i should have known better.Crazy ass hermit crabs are so clumsy.I seen it still on the top rack too.It bumped around my new zoa polyp too but it was to big of a rock to fall threw.It fliped the acan upside down it was a mess.I was feeding that acan daily and it was seriously a perfect acan.Grrrrrrrrr

I dremel trimmed the plants off that orange eyed acan enchita and it healed up nicely 99 percent of the plants on it are gone.Cloves doing well but the same redish plant has roots on the rock that the cloves are on so it has to be trmmed.