Innovative Marine Aquariums

Anthonys 5 Gallon Tanks

Builder Anthony

Builder Anthony

DSCF1670.jpg

DSCF1668.jpg

Heres a better shot of that acan theres some small acans poking out around the underside of the rim.

DSCF1675.jpg

Heres a nice spot in the display tank.

DSCF1677.jpg

This guys been in here for a long time.The snail.

DSCF1681.jpg

Favia display

DSCF1679.jpg

Favia Frag tank.

DSCF1673.jpg

Heres the trimming of the plants off the edge of this rock.It was fighting the coral and overgrowing onto the skeleton of the coral then working its way into the skeleton.It had to be trimmed or it would kill off the coral slow from the edge inward.

DSCF1671.jpg

Display tank

DSCF1667.jpg

Frag tank

DSCF1666.jpg

Edited by Builder Anthony
Builder Anthony

This picture is from the night before christmas.I made a frag rack for the new tank and added corals to the saltwater that was 40 percent premixed that sat for 4 days and 60 percent water that sat over night.Everything was on a 24 hour cycle because some frags were just glued.Came back a day later and the monti was bleaching so added back to its origional tank and it is recovering.The entire rack is actually back in the tank from wich the corals were fraged from.The frag tank.I did that because the corals were not responding to the water well and showing signs of stress being tight to there bases or skeletons depending on the coral.One cause may have been the filter sucking up some macro and shredding it in the water colum.So all thats in the new tank now is the frogspwan which doesnt seem to mind the water.Lobo wasnt moved from anytanks and still isnt eating shrimp.Im suspecting the coral is loseing zooethealne but i am unsure what the heck is wrong with it.So led will be lowered over it to make sure its getting enough light.

Night before christmas

DSCF1689.jpg

Todays shots

DSCF1695.jpg

DSCF1694.jpg

DSCF1693.jpg

DSCF1691.jpg

Builder Anthony

New Addition

Favia

DSCF1700.jpg

DSCF1696.jpg

DSCF1710.jpg

DSCF1709.jpg

DSCF1707.jpg

DSCF1706.jpg

DSCF1705.jpg

DSCF1704.jpg

DSCF1703.jpg

DSCF1698.jpg

DSCF1697.jpg

Well i think i decided this spot till the new tank is feeling better.So its in the frag tank now so i can have a better look at it.

DSCF1713.jpg

DSCF1711.jpg

DSCF1712.jpg

Builder Anthony

Well theres like probally 5 aptasia on the new peice with small traces of bryosis.I still have to look at it but i plucked a few peices off with tweesers.Theres also something else on this rock that isnt a favia but some sort of polyp.Maybe a nem or something.

DSCF1724.jpg

These are some plate corals i think that were hicthhikers.Ive been feeding them bits of shrimp.The green ones real small but i think i see some purple bumps which are probally tenitcles.

DSCF1720.jpg

This has developed another head

DSCF1715.jpg

DSCF1716.jpg

Picture of the leather

DSCF1719.jpg

Builder Anthony

Thanks for the comments.

OK well the new favia has some damage on it caused by the skeleton and the weight of the peice itself caused by shipping.No broken teeth or septas or something is the correct name.Anyways those peiced the coral tissue basicly all across the coral.It doesnt sound like that big of a deal but what happens is algae forms on those little white septas or teeth and the coral produces a slime and .......well not this coral yet but ive seen my green one try to attack the algae by eating it.It doesnt real fight algae to good so its like real important to keep that in check.I seen a mucus on the coral but mouths were open and indicating stress.I tested the salt and it was at 30.Lowered to 28 and it should be at 26.Mouths still slightly open but no sign of white sweepers or guts.Rinsed coral off useing a cup and pouring water on top of it.I have a bucket sitting since yetsterday and i havent did a water change for about for about four days.

Also moved lobo to display tank and it fits good there.Its the one that hasnt been eating.

Small polyps were also noted on the side.Colors are sowing purple and a blueish tint.Some yellow on the outer skin walls.

Builder Anthony

Spent most of the day finalizing everything on all three tanks.This setup allows me to run the two leds on the top tanks in the day and i can drop both leds down to the lower tank and hook them to stay so the lower tank can have 2 leds and 3 flourescents.Its going to be intresting to see the coral response in there.

1 15 watt 10000 k

1 15 Atinic blue

1 40 watt fresh and saltwater bulb its like a pinkish purple color

2 15 watt leds 10 blue 20 white

Airlines glued in place

Wires all secured

Made a razor scrapper

DSCF1739.jpg

Dremel cut into a plastic hanger and place the razor in there with some super glue.Funny thing is i used the clips from the hanger to hole some airlines in place and i really didnt want to throw out the hook but im all good on hooks.So i made some nice things out of that hanger.The clips can be seen in the tank photo.

DSCF1740.jpg

DSCF1727.jpg

DSCF1733.jpg

DSCF1728.jpg

Damaged this transfering tanks.Its a broken septa with whiteish slime coming out of the torn tissue.Its a nasty rip to.I thought the botom tank would be able to hold corals with newmixed saltwater and i would be able to pump water from my other tanks into that one.Then the rack was acting up and i was caught for space.I really need to get all the corals situated.But getting all the wires and everything straighted out today was a big help.I think the wires were freaking me out.The picture up there is kinda dark but all the equipment is made to sit in that spot forever.Only thing i have to do is change the filters and drop my lights down to the bottom tank.

DSCF1738.jpg

The frags on here are recovering from the lower tank setup with newly mixed saltwater.Read back a few posts for more info.Most have shead there skins and are on the way back to coloring up.Duncans eating.

DSCF1730.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Builder Anthony

Lost one head of the lobo,even other heads look sick.No response to higher lighting or feedings. Monti in same tank.

small pods eating cloves and being nasty

maximini touching new favia .......no stinging

yellow polyps touching kenyatree no

stinging

4 new zoa species added ......pods intrested in nibbleing on things.wacthing mats for paleness.this is when pods attscked along time ago

rainbow acan has 5 or so new heads

blue cloves growing rapid

cinimon polyp produceing 3rd foot

aptasia removeal needed on new favia.right on unidentifed polyp growing on same rock

Builder Anthony

Display tank clove polyp rock had quater size asteria mow threw polypys.2nd day developed brown slime.Heads of polyps detached leaving a mat.Asterias move perhaps tastseing injuryed polyps and suddenly feed on dying coral,i took out bigger stars and placed them in new tank.Blasting rock with flow and water changs 3rd day no slime on whats left of matt.about a 3 inch square section of blue polyps unaffected growing its own matt.

Builder Anthony

80 percent of the blue clove rock is showing new heads forming out of the matt.Previous heads fell off from brown slime leaving a minor stem where the matt didnt detorate.

New additions

Very rich blue xeina 3 inch square with a single orange and green blasto.

Zoas around 21 poylps with light greenish center and yellow mouth.Species seems smaller then most zoas.

Builder Anthony

Today i tryed something new.I took ceramic filter package that came with a filter opened it up and took a handful out,took the glue and placed it on the soda can shaped ceramic peice.Used tweesers to grip polyps,placed it out of tank for 1 min then turned upsidedown and dunked several times.......this is important becase the glue goes upwards and will polute your coral if not fliped upsidedown.Ducaning it also gets rid of bubble that weaken your glue.I think they will anchor the seven different species of zoas i picked up today

New additions

armagedon paly polyp

one pinkish withdark stripes polyp

two bright flourest orange centered mouth with dark orage center

one bright green mouth purple circle circle around mouth then a blue circle with yellow tentacles

a couple others but they are closed

Builder Anthony

Unfornately i cant upload photos on a ps3 but i guess i can keep track of growth rates from new additions.On a different note that big orange dragon eye favia threw out some short sweepers.First time since i got it,i belevie its from new food added to tank.......frozen mysis.

New Additions

2 inside of a kiwi colored zoas with a somewhat of a darker circle on its face

6pink mouth purple center and milky peach sweepers

1purple mouth with sky blue face ,dark blue sweepers

5 small light green mouth lime green face with yellowish green sweepers .these are paly grandias or something

3 necular greens

4 flouresent orange mouth zoas,darkish purple circle on face,orange tenacles

1sunny delight

1 purple mouth flouresent pink center maybe whiteish tentacles

Builder Anthony

Display tank main mushroom rock had one mushroom with brown slime on it in the morning,now this is the rock next to the blue cloves but theres no disease on it.Im really lost as to why this happened.Mushroom is very stressed but should recover in 3 to 4 weeks.......no new slime after 12 hours....since vacummed off.

Frag tank is haveing alot of the bastard mini pods in there ....i suspect them munching on some of the new zoas.So i moved about 5 zoa frags out of the sandbed onto the rack since the mini pods arent really on there.Only one frag im worried about because of a whiteish tint to it.

Lower tank is receiveing asterias.....and it seems 72 watts of flouresents isnt cutting it for that big green coral with 6 inch sweepers.Theres some drawback of growth .....about 1 to 2centimeters and color loss in the shade portion of the coral...so two leds will now be droped at night and run till morning.Salt on tanks 25.

Builder Anthony

large green coral moved to frag tank.whiteish section turning brown no tissue loss in any other spot then around rim which is still at 2centimeters.Sheild will be made to prevent 6 inch sweepers from stinging others.some mini 1cm sweepers cover the coral.

mush still recovering in high lighting.some relaxed guts from mouth extruded but none falling off.tightening visable surival rate 55.no tissue loss

green and red lobo still on decline no heads expected to live.not sure what caused this to happen other then cold from shipping.occasionlly puffs out zooethalene.1 puff every 2 weeks,refuses all foods,coral death from receding expected in 2 mounths.

pink zoa disenergrated.i think the matt was to small to recover and the polyps were so baby sized it couldnt produce enough energy to heal.mini pods feeding on it didnt help.the other 16 or so zoa species have all seem to have taken nicely with some developments of base foot for new polyps

yellow stinging polyps acept shrimp.2to3 new heads expected in coming week

DSCF1754-1.jpg

holy real estate agent - that tanked is absolutely packed.. not usually a fan of cluttered tanks but you have pulled it off without missing a beat; all these photo updates lol.. mature! vibrant with life! Yeeeooooow!

Edited by milk
Builder Anthony

For the first time i seen my orange ricordea and light blue with brown mushroom eat today.......the brown on the mushroom is natural sandy in color.They responded to mysis shrimp.

DSCF1611.jpg

Took out the fadeing lobo because another head was produceing slime and since other heads showed signs of bleaching.Placed in freezer.

rainbow acan has very small bleached area on side where baby heads are coming out.Now i think this may have been caused by a shift in the plug from something unknown....or it was up against a mushoom....so some white bleaching about the size of a baby acan on the side with small sweeper guts showing.Repositioned it into the light.

blue cloves have encrusted 2 plugs and i had to pull xeina foot off of a yellow clove in the frag tank.

mini pods in frag tank worry me

maxi mini is hanging around next to filter sponge tryen to cacth them off the sponge.Tanks is nem safe.

Thanks for the comments.The display tank really really becomes a crazy house during feedings.I miss posting pictures.

Builder Anthony

salt 27 lowered to 26

large green coral with whiteish spot regaining brownish color

DSCF1766-2.jpg

acan that was repositioned shows no spread of white though its main head overlaps this area

pink mushroom splitting one have shoing guts on one side of the split

DSCF1800.jpg

asteris seen eating mysis...algae sheet added

no coral damage to dragoneye favia from pointy tiped crab that hangs out underneath it though when first bought seen exsisting damage.coral is now filled in one of these gaps

yellow clown goby is eating something in tank.....suspect mini pods shrimp feedings stoped....nibbles at mysis.......refuses krill spits it out

exelent growth oon blue and yellow zoas .....from 1 head to 7 in about a month

DSCF1751.jpg

Builder Anthony

the pink mushroom that was spliting developed the brown slime again.i went to vacum it off again and it came off the rock.So a closer look at this mushroom species.

It came in kind of faded in color but was responding well

and the whiteish ring colors were returning to its natural color.but then this mushroom was in the brightest spot on the rock.some signs started to appear being the whiteish ring was turning a little to white but no bleaching in the purple color.so i have to keep an eye on the white ring to tell if its getting to much light.location is the same but i took a purple cd case and made a sheild for it it seems to be working well as they seem more open.overall there has been some growth and some movements of mushrooms on the side of the rock.they werent in direct light of the led but are moving towards it.really a matter of inches to get the correct color of the mushroom down.so ill have to see how the sheild works out but it fits rather nicely and it should take care of bleaching.

ill have to see what goes on with the ones moving towards the light they have alot less of the natural white ring and green dots but the sheild should take away the bright glare of the leds.

Builder Anthony

New Addition

flouresent orange with very dark orange brown stripes and green mouth.some dieoff around half of the outside rim but it accepted a little bit of shrimp so i think it heal up nicely.one head.

DSCF1836.jpg

DSCF1834.jpg