Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

Love your tank!

One thing I love about the LEDs is how the corals all take on their own color. I find with the PC lamps everything has the same reddish color.

Regarding how to get the lid to the nanocube off:

When you lift the lid to your tank take a look at the brackets holding the lid on. If your hinges are like mine, the bracket holding the hinge together only covers the back side. Get the lid lifted to straight up and down then pull toward you. The whole assembly should come free from the brackets. You may have to wiggle a little.

TY, TY, TY!!!!!! I need to change my bulbs this month (6 months is up) and I'm having a hard time finding the PC-R bulbs...soooooo....I figure, why not just change out the whole system for something I won't have to replace for years!!!!! I'm excited about it. Just have to get my husband to do the work for me because that is definitely not my thing (electricity) :)

Thank you again!!!!!

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I did it. I ordered 2 panorama pro LED modules for my tank! Needless to say, I'm excited :) I'm looking forward to some shimma in my life.

Depending on how fast I get them, may have them installed this weekend..woohoo. They are coming from San Diego, so not too far away :)

:lol: I already spent my allowance for the month :lol:

I got 2 of the 12K White/445nm Blue. I didn't want too much blue and I've been happy with the PC-R version of the 50/50 so I think this will be good.

Cool! 12k is a good choice B)

And I know how you feel. I just had to face the music of paying for those lights and the iPhone 4S :( I'm not spending money for a good while if I can help it.

It's fun to get new stuff, but not fun to have to pay for it :lol:

I have to say though, most everything I spend money on in this hobby, is so worth it. Looking forward to seeing your secret build next week :)

I got my LED's today :ninja:

Haven't even opened the box yet. Have to run out to pick my son up from school. Can't wait to see how they look!!!!!

edit:

alright...got the box opened and everything looks awesome! Can't wait to get it all together this weekend!!!!!!

So did you attempt the LED installation?

How did it go??

Oh yeah! We got it in on Saturday and it's AMAZING! I've been holding off on posting about it because I'm waiting for my GSP to open!!!!! They were in a closed phase before I installed the new lights. Every now and then they go through this and then they spawn a few days after opening back up. The few polyps that have come out are incredibly bright green. Can't wait to see how it looks when they are all out :)

The install was easy. I kept the original fans in place..they really make a difference. Even though the lights are LED, they still get hot. With the fans running (or the lights off) my tank never goes beyond 82. That's my magic number. I do have a lot more evaporation now though. The splash guard is gone so the evaporation is able to go right through the venting. That's ok though. I top off with 3 cup fulls instead of 1 now.

I'll get pics. of the new LEDs soon. Hopefully the GSP will be open soon. I haven't even attempted a photo of the tank with the new lights...curious to see just how hard it will be to get the right color to show. Maybe I'll play with it later today. The lights come on in about 30 minutes.

You'll probably need to color adjust as it will come out way bluer than reality.

If you don't have a photo editor that does that, Paint.net is a good free program that will help you.

Can't wait to see it!

I thought I'd snap some shots of the mechanics before the lights come on. They are blinding bright when on so you wouldn't be able to see anything then anyways :lol:

The existing holes weren't in the right places so we had to compromise. I kept the original reflector (had to cut it) and reattached that to the hood. Then screwed the the lights into the reflector. Unfortunately the screws did pop up through to the top/outside of the hood. But it's just barely showing. I've included a photo of that as well. It doesn't look bad at all. The lights are waterproof so the morning evap on the lights goes away quickly once the lights turn on. We had to rewire the fans, which cost less than $10 for the parts. Oh....and had to include the fish tile my son made for me. He made it in Art class last week. He could have made anything he wanted (for himself) but he made that for me. I have the best kid in the world :)

hood1.jpg

hood.jpg

fishtile.jpg

You are right that does not look too bad.

When I replaced my fans the new screws poked out just a little. I do not even notice it.

How much do you have to feed that fish every week? Great color!!

Nice set-up too. You will be so happy with the new lights.

Is that all condensation on the hood and lights? You might want to cut a little more ventilation, or up the fans to save your lighting. Or is there a guard over the lights?

Can't wait to see some new pix. Getting the white balance right with LED is a PITA though. It does take some post work.

Is that all condensation on the hood and lights? You might want to cut a little more ventilation, or up the fans to save your lighting. Or is there a guard over the lights?

Can't wait to see some new pix. Getting the white balance right with LED is a PITA though. It does take some post work.

It is condensation. It's only there in the morning after the ligths have been off all night long. According to the ecoxotic website these lights are completely water-proof, so I didn't think this would be a problem. The lights are on and the condensation is gone. Maybe I'll call them and ask them.

Will try to get new pictures today. If not, asap :)

You are right that does not look too bad.

When I replaced my fans the new screws poked out just a little. I do not even notice it.

How much do you have to feed that fish every week? Great color!!

Nice set-up too. You will be so happy with the new lights.

We shouldn't have had that happen, but my husband grabbed the wrong screws. We had so many sitting in front of us :lol: I forgave him...he is my hero after-all :)

Isn't the fish great? He's completely self-sufficient :happy:

Congrats on the lighting I am sure you will be happy with it. I just did the same thing to my new tank with 2 panorama pros. They look a lot better than my old DIY led build. I got a 12k/453nm blue and a blue/magenta. Eventually I want to have them on separate timers for a dawn/dusk effect.

Congratulations on the upgrade!!! You did an excellent job with your retrofit- looks so nice and tidy! Part of me wishes I had kept the fans in mine, though I rarely have temperature issues being in Canada and all XD I'm excited to see a full tank shot!

Congrats on the lighting I am sure you will be happy with it. I just did the same thing to my new tank with 2 panorama pros. They look a lot better than my old DIY led build. I got a 12k/453nm blue and a blue/magenta. Eventually I want to have them on separate timers for a dawn/dusk effect.

Thanks, Macron! I'll go check out your tank again! I'm really loving the LEDs. I hope it has a good effect on my algae issues too. I'm fighting them full force ahead :)

Congratulations on the upgrade!!! You did an excellent job with your retrofit- looks so nice and tidy! Part of me wishes I had kept the fans in mine, though I rarely have temperature issues being in Canada and all XD I'm excited to see a full tank shot!

Thanks wankreas!!!!! I showed my husband the picture of your hood to help him with the installation. FTS coming soon. I'm still waiting on the GSP. I removed a couple of the St. Thomas mushrooms and a few other things so it looks a little more bare along the sandbed now.

Since you've gotten more open space on the sand bed and better lights, why not get a plate or something of the like? :)

I thought about that. It would have to be a really small (tiny) one because even though there is more sandbed showing...it still isn't much :lol: Which means it's very unlikely that I'll add one.

crossing my fingers that the GSP opens all the way today. In the meantime...a couple of teasers....

glued these down to their own rock

tubbs2.jpg

this leather LOVES the new lights

leather.jpg

Those two weren't enough? :)

I've decided to get another Orchid Dottyback. I really want a Starry Blenny but I just don't think my tank is big enough. The bioload it would add would probably cause me nightmares. I think it would look ridiculous too, in my tank, when full grown. So as much as I want one...I'm going to pass. I asked my LFS to get me the dottyback and a porcelain crab. So, hopefully next week they will be here. I just love the color of the Orchid Dottyback. What can I say...I'm a girl...I love pink :wub:

More pix!!!! :D

you asked and you shall receive :)

Here's someone I haven't shown off yet. Lights out and I caught him front and center scavenging. Perfect photo op. I actually have two of these.

brittlestar.jpg

And I wanted to show off my little girl. She happened to be on the camera so I figured why not.

chloe.jpg

What breed of dog is that? I have a Bichon :D

She's a bichon! I have her cut short though...I prefer the full-on look but it's way high maintenance. She just got a haircut last Friday.

Archived