Cultivated Reef

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SUCCESS!!!!!!

If you've been following along with my tank you'll know that I had some bad worms in there. Eunicid worms or some bad variety like that. Well, they are caught!!!!!

I decided that today was the day that I was going to pull out my rocks and hunt them down!!!! Took me about 3.5 hours to complete the whole thing. I had trouble getting the rockscape back to what it was. It's almost the same but there are some slight differences.

I took the YTD out as well. He was just toooo punky for my taste. Always trying to pick a fight with Squirt.

I feel like I'm starting from scratch. A happy feeling :)

I was afraid to get a small fish, or a fish that hangs out in the rocks, because of those worms. Now, no worries!!!! Yippee!!!! Now I have to decide what fish to add. I'm leaning toward a purple firefish and another tailspot blenny :)

I also cleared space for my new wellsophyllia. It was definitely a productive day!!!!!

Here's the nasty worms....eeewwww!!!!

worms.jpg

Now I have to decide what fish to add. I'm leaning toward a purple firefish and another tailspot blenny :)

I'm glad you caught the worms. I definitely vote for the firefish. I absolutely love mine and he has a ton of personality.

Me too!!!! It is such a feeling of relief. It was weighing heavily on me to tear down to get them out. No one likes that job! Well, I decided to just do it :)

I love firefish! I've had one before. They are so beautiful.

Me too!!!! It is such a feeling of relief. It was weighing heavily on me to tear down to get them out. No one likes that job! Well, I decided to just do it :)

I love firefish! I've had one before. They are so beautiful.

Yeah I realized how much of a pain that was when I tore everything apart to catch the fish for quarantine. I'm glad it went ok and that now you can get more fish. :)

I leave this thread for a few hours and you get worms :lol:

Borat_Great_Success.jpg

A firefish would be a sweet choice. *cough* purple one *cough*

Or what about some form of sand sifting goby?

How did you catch them? I still haven't been able to see any, I'm starting to wonder if I even have any...

I had to pull each rock out and examine. I could see where they had excavated the rock. They pulled some sand and bits of rock and dead halimeda into the crevices. When I pulled that stuff away I found the bigger one. It actually broke in half...luckily I got both pieces. The other one was not hiding but in a crevice of the rock...looked like a slug. Eekkk....nasty things. I'm so glad they are gone!

If you haven't seen them you probably don't have any. I knew I had two. I saw their heads all the time and they were definitely two different types of worms. I think both eunicid though.

A firefish would be a sweet choice. *cough* purple one *cough*

I'm actually partial to the red ones. They're top dart looking fin is so much longer and sweet looking. Mine is always twitching his and it makes him such a character :) The colors are prettier on the purples though.

I'm so excited to get new fish. However, I'm sitting here and I hear the same clicking noise..ugh!!!! What could it be???????? Maybe a baby pistol or *gulp* mantis? I thought it was the worms but apparently not. Whatever it is, it's little because I examined those rocks pretty well. I haven't found any snail shells with holes in them. I just don't know...so frustrating.

On a happier note...I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with a purple firefish. I thought about another tailspot blenny...but then I saw the little note still attached to the wall by the mp10 that said "Look for Petey". Petey was my prior tailspot. I put that sign up when I went on vacation this summer. Petey always went into the mp10 when it was turned off. That sign was a reminder to look for him before turning it back on. I don't want to deal with that again..so no tailspot for me.

The other fish I was highly considering is a yellow watchman goby. And possibly one of the tiny gobies like a neon or green banded. I'll have to double check if mixing gobies will work though. There are so many great fish to choose from :)

I'm actually partial to the red ones. They're top dart looking fin is so much longer and sweet looking. Mine is always twitching his and it makes him such a character :) The colors are prettier on the purples though.

The reds are gorgeous too. I've never had a purple firefish so I think this is the time :)

You're definitely right, if you could put the fin of a red on the purple it would be awesome. :)

I just suggested purple because it doesn't seem like a lot of people here are going with purple. There's a reason lots of people get the red one's :)

I LOVE my purple firefish! He looks awesome and is always out and about. He doesn't swim around a lot and is never far from his burrow.

Yours is beautiful...I checked it out again :)

Gena, do you have a before and after FTS of the tank with stock lights and with the panoramas?

No side by sides. Try page 1, first post, for current with LEDs. Page 15 for the most current "before" shot. Keep in mind I wasn't using stock bulbs. Those were PC-R bulbs and very pink, which I loved the warmth it gave to the tank. I'm very happy with the LEDs too.

You're definitely right, if you could put the fin of a red on the purple it would be awesome. :)

This sounds perfect! Time to start a breeding program, haha.

Archived