Pod Your Reef

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

That's what I thought. We keep ours short too. I'll put up a picture tomorrow of her. She's sleeping now, she sleeps like its her job!

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love to see a photo of yours. Mine sleeps, barks, chases the cat, sleeps, barks some more, chases the other cat, sleeps, barks, barks some more, oh and she can really put down a meal :lol:....I really do love her :lol:

Next week she'll look much better after her hair grows in some more. Usually in the winter I keep her a little longer. Can't wait to see your dog :)

She decided she wanted to get up for a little bit longer.

rosOq.jpg

And what she does when I stop petting her to post on NR

xmfPd.jpg

Coupled with huffing, growling, and scratching the air :lol:

She's so cute!!!!!! How old? Mine will be 5 in December.

Bichon's are such sweet dogs. Mine's actually a show dog, but I decided that life wasn't for her. I decided this after her first heat cycle...show dogs can't be fixed. I had to buy those little panties and panty liners for her :lol: She only went through one cycle and was then promptly fixed....forever ending her show dog career :lol:

She will be 10 in November. :)

Mine was from show lineage but we came to the conclusion we could never part from the puppies if she had any and I'm sure you know one is more than enough!

She proved hard to train too so that made the decision to not show her and fix her easy. She is very strong willed and good at getting what she wants.

Does yours have any health problems? They are such fickle breeds, ours we found out about a year ago is diabetic and gets insulin twice a day. She's also had hip trouble and kidney stones.

So far we haven't had any health problems. I think there may be some eye issues in her lineage (found out after the fact), though the breeder assured me she wouldn't be affected.

Definitely..they are strong willed! I have a Brittany Spaniel as well. She's definitely the boss of him :)

I just took this pic. of her. She's hanging out in the kitchen because I haven't cleared all the supper dishes away yet. She can smell the leftovers and it's about all she can think about right now :lol:

Her hair is so short. She'll look better next week :lol:

chloe2.jpg

Awe..Molly, sweet doggy :) I love that name! My little princess is Chloe. She really thinks she's a princess :lol:

I would have to say her favorite treat is leftover baked chicken. It's the only intentional people food I give her. Now....she sits at our feet whenever we eat so she gets plenty of accidents. For instance...last night she had some tamales, and loved it :lol:

She doesn't discriminate when it comes to food. Late spring through early fall, a staple of her diet is figs and magnolia flowers...both of which are found in our backyard.

Check out this photo of my tank last night. My clownfish sleeps here (just like this) every night, upside down :lol:

clown-1.jpg

That's neat how the clown sleeps :)

intentional people food is like 75% of Molly's diet. She get a small treat of people food every meal we eat :lol:

It doesn't matter what we are eating, the fact that we eat it makes it good enough for her to think she wants it more than anything.

You are more than welcome, and I encourage you, to drop some photos of Molly in here from time to time!!!!!!! I'll be doing the same with Chloe. I wonder how many other Bichons are out there????? I welcome their photos here too :)

On another note...I have so many Kenya babies in my tank now. I can see how they take over a tank! I'm ok with it though. This tank was created with the intent of chaos and "imperfection" :lol:

Well, I have to post the good, the bad, and the ugly if I'm going to document this correctly.

The good....NEW LED lighting!!!!!

The bad.....some corlz p'd off

The Ugly.....Algae!!!!!!

The algea is starting to become more transparent so I do think I'm gaining the upperhand on it. My new line of attack includes a reduced photoperiod from 10hrs to 6hrs. I'm going to run Chemi-pure elite, and I'm doing twice a week waterchanges. We'll see what that does.

The GSP is still not open all the way. Probably because I'm turkey basting the rocks everyday. It's p'd off most of the coral in there.

I think the color is corrected pretty well. I just used whatever program was on my laptop. Here she is...now with LED :)

fts10-22-11.jpg

Are you running the lights for the full day or did you cut down the photoperiod to acclimate them? 24 leds running at 1.6 watts each is a lot of light for that tank compared to the stock PCs. I made the mistake of not light acclimating my corals when I added my DIY LED setup and some of my ricordeas bleached out and are still trying to recover. I regret not acclimating the corals now and it took me about a month to realize the light was causing some problems. I would just keep an eye on your corals and if they are still unhappy, I would cut down a bit on the amount of time your lights are on and slowly bring it back up to full time. Don't want to see any corals bleach up in this beautiful tank!

Anyways those lights look awesome.

Wow. You can really see the difference between your last FTS and the new led FTS. I would imagine some of your stuff will be upset for a bit until they get used to that new light. Looks really nice.

Thanks, Macron and dan!!! I was running the LEDs normal light cycle since I installed them last Saturday. I decided to drop the photoperiod to 6hrs to help in combating the algae but I suppose it's a good idea anyways to acclimate the coral!

The amount of light now is incredibly brighter than what it was. It is a huge difference.

Great looking tank! A real inspiration. Mushrooms are so under rated :)

I was just curious what your stock is at this time. Do you still have the urchins? I have an urchin that's doing really ell in my 14 gallon and I would like another (they are so neat).

Great looking tank! A real inspiration. Mushrooms are so under rated :)

I was just curious what your stock is at this time. Do you still have the urchins? I have an urchin that's doing really ell in my 14 gallon and I would like another (they are so neat).

Thanks so much! I don't have the urchins anymore. Not sure what happened but they died on me. Currently I have 1 b/w clownfish, 1 yellowtail damsel, I pom pom crab, 2 blue leg hermits, 2 harlequin serpent starfish, and a variety of snails. One type of snail had a bunch of babies. I have hundreds of tiny snails, not sure what variety though. I think that's it.

Neat! I really like your starfish, bummer about the urchins though.

The starfish are awesome. I have no complaints about them. They are great for cleanup. The urchins were neat looking but I was getting tired of their rearranging things. I'm pretty sure it was a temperature swing that did them in. Mine weren't tuxedo urchins. They were a smaller nano sized urchin though. The colors were a pretty purple, pink, and white. I actually only ordered one and they sent me two. It's great to get extras, but I was concerned about being able to keep two fed. Who knows, maybe they ran out of food too. This was before I had algae problems.

Speaking of algae problems. I think my plan is working. There is definitely less now than this time last week. I hope I'm on to something here fingerscrossed

I was taking pictures of my snails in love and also got another FTS to show. Unfortunately photobucket is giving me trouble on my laptop and I was only able to download the FTS for now. Will get those lovebirds on here soon as well as a photo of one of their hundreds of babies :)

10-26-11. This shows an exact example of what the color looks like now with the LED (on my computer anyway).

fts102611.jpg

Thanks, Joel! Oh...Chloe says "hi" :)

chloe-1.jpg

If she's not at my side, this is where she can be found.

I see she's a mountain goat too! :) mines a climber but then she gets scared an has to be helped down :lol:

Archived