SaltCritters.com

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

I haven't done a speck of maintenance on mine for over a month, and it's a mess. Only thing I lost was the peppermint shrimp, but it's going to take some doing to get rid of all the GHA an Cyano that popped back up.

I responded on your thread but will post a little something here. Just got done with my weekly water change. My gorgonia is FINALLY starting to open again. I was really getting worried there. Things seem to be improving now that I'm back to baby the tank. Or maybe I'm just getting used to the mess that it still is...LOL! Besides some HA, I have another algae that is growing. I need to ID it. It's kind of cool so I'm letting it go. I wish the corals grew as much as the algae, while I was away :rolleyes:

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Very impressive for only 6 months! Is your coralimorph splitting in the right corner?

Hey, thanks! It's not splitting but it's attached to the side of the tank (glass). It looks like it's going to leave a couple of babies from it's foot. One big and one small.

Thanks you guys!

Small update....had my first kenya tree baby :) I found it below the mother and moved it to the front of the tank. OMG....I'll probably kick myself later. But, then again, I want this tank to look like a jungle of coral. I'm well on my way :lol:

That's exactly how I am now. I'm so excited watching my GSP spread to other rocks but I know in a few months I'll be shaking my fist in the air at myself for ever letting it spread. :lol:

Yep...we'll just have to deal with it...eventually. Actually, overgrown GSP is one of my favorite looks.

My boxer crab was missing for a few days again. She's out with a belly full of eggs again. I REALLY need to find her a mate. If anyone reading this has a male boxer and wants to sell it, please let me know!

Awesomeness girl!!

Hi, Maria!!!! It's been a long time!!!! Is it true you don't have any reef tanks going right now? If so, that's a crime against humanity. Someone with such tremendous talent for reef keeping should always have a tank B)

Thanks for checking mine out :)

Boo....I HATE these kinds of updates. Lost my Tailspot blenny yesterday :tears:

The unidentified macroalgae I had growing along the sandbed went sexual on me yesterday. Clouded up the whole tank yesterday morning. Didn't have any water on hand to do a waterchange so I just threw a bag of carbon into the back chamber. Today the water is crystal clear and testing 100% perfectly. This is without a waterchange. The only thing I lost was the tailspot. He was completely healthy and showing no signs of trouble until yesterday morning. I saw him breathing heavy and hanging out towards the bottom of the tank. I can still see him in my mind (the last time I'd ever see him). He's nowhere to be found. I was hoping he'd pop out this morning and surprise me....no luck.

I guess it was the macroalgae episode that did him in. I'm not ruling out a predator in the tank. I'm always hearing clicking sounds in there. Maybe he hung out in a place he's never been and the predator got him? Not sure. I lost absolutely nothing else...except for the macroalgae that is totally gone today.

Anyways....been pretty bummed about it. Not sure I will replace with another fish. I don't want something that hangs out in the rocks in case of a predator in there. Something that will stay in the water column and get along with my clownfish. Please, give suggestions if you have any. Thanks!

Hi, Maria!!!! It's been a long time!!!! Is it true you don't have any reef tanks going right now? If so, that's a crime against humanity. Someone with such tremendous talent for reef keeping should always have a tank B)

Thanks for checking mine out :)

Nah!!! that's crazy...I will always have a reef...even if it's a pico lol

I still have my125g and I still have my 40g..just switched it back to a macro tank a month ago :)

it's in the macro algaes sub forum..

M

Hate to see the TSB go. I loved my little guy/girl. Can't really make another recommendation for a 12g, except of course your basic firefish. Hangs out in the column, literally, and minimal bioload. There's probably others, though.

Hate to see the TSB go. I loved my little guy/girl. Can't really make another recommendation for a 12g, except of course your basic firefish. Hangs out in the column, literally, and minimal bioload. There's probably others, though.

I thought about a firefish but I leave the front lid open and just know it will carpet (or tile, in my case) surf. I do love them a lot though. I was thinking possibly a Banggai Cardinalfish...but need to look up tank size for that one. I don't think they hide in the rocks, so that might be a good choice. It's the only thing I've come up with besides just a yellowtail damsel...which I'm not super keen on. I would love to replace with another clown but the one I have won't have anything to do with that. Last time I tried was a disaster.

Thats poopy!!!

It IS poopy. Did I mention I got rear-ended (no pun intended) today too? Not a great week for me :(

What am I doing this holiday weekend? HUNTING! I have a Eunicid worm in my tank. I've seen him all along but didn't know exactly what it was. Finally ID'd the little sucker. That could account for the clicking sounds I hear as well (hopefully). Found directions for a DIY worm trap online. It's made and I will start hunting tonight. Wish me luck :)

What am I doing this holiday weekend? HUNTING! I have a Eunicid worm in my tank. I've seen him all along but didn't know exactly what it was. Finally ID'd the little sucker. That could account for the clicking sounds I hear as well (hopefully). Found directions for a DIY worm trap online. It's made and I will start hunting tonight. Wish me luck :)

ooooo scary... I hate those worms...they can grow to epic proportions and snack on anything they want. I hope you catch the little bugger.

ooooo scary... I hate those worms...they can grow to epic proportions and snack on anything they want. I hope you catch the little bugger.

I hope so too! I tried Friday night with little luck...but I was coming down with something so not a lot of patience to hunt. Lost all day Saturday because I was sick (bad head cold). Finally feeling better today so I'm hunting right now :) Not sure if it's going to work though. We'll see.

tagging along..

Awesome!

Archived