ReefCleaners.org

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That St. Thomas looks killer and now it has a bit of story attached to it. I think you should keep it. Nice tank btw. ;)

LOL...too late. It's already outadare :P

Wow! I was going to get a St. Thomas for my NC12 after I saw yours...maybe not :)

Well, they are still awesome mushrooms. I think the location of mine made it easier to catch fish. What I wouldn't give to have been here to see what happened...ugh!!!!! Not to mention I could have saved my fish!

I wouldn't fear them. I think my situation was just the perfect storm.

That's insane, I never realised a mushroom could be so carnivorous!

I've heard of it happening. Unfortunately I had to experience it myself. I guess I should have taken photos, but I was soooo incredibly upset about it....it didn't even cross my mind at the time. And to think it may have eaten my tailspot too!!!!! So sad.

On a happier note. Here's my new mushrooms! I traded the Emerald crab for these. Aren't they purdy? Hopefully they'll stay put and NOT end up in mushroom corner <_<

mushrooms-1.jpg

Been through all 15 pages. The tank has come a long way in such a short time. Thanks for sharing.

Awesome! Thanks for checking it out and commenting :happy:

:wub: new mushiessss :wub:

I agree :happy: And...they seem happy where they are so far. No signs of ditching yet!!!!

What do you think spawned?

I don't know. The eggs were tiny though. It wasn't my anemone shrimp. I couldn't see my pom pom crab so that's a possibility. I suppose it could have been a snail. I wish I knew for sure.

I think it's so amazing how a reef really can sustain itself, even in a small glass box :) It's fascinating to me!

October update. Tank is 8months now. Lost my anemone shrimp. It was alive and well on Saturday and right away on Sunday I knew it was gone. No sign of it in the tank. I think I might not replace with anymore shrimp. I never can keep them long term and I'm not sure why not.

My brittle stars are getting huge.

Still battling the algae. This will be a long battle I'm afraid.

Large purple St. Thomas mushroom in the front is trying to escape. When it does, I will most likely remove it and take it to my LFS. It's pretty big for my tank and takes up a lot of room.

Guess that's it for updates.

FTS 10-10-11.

tank10fts-1.jpg

Looks great! Seriously, I know you don't like it, but that algae makes the tank look so nice.

If you really want it gone and don't mind pushing your bioload, a lawnmower blenny would help kick it's ass and be pretty interesting.

I have that same problem with shrimp and non cuc crabs as well. It's depressing because I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :huh:

Looks great! Seriously, I know you don't like it, but that algae makes the tank look so nice.

If you really want it gone and don't mind pushing your bioload, a lawnmower blenny would help kick it's ass and be pretty interesting.

I have that same problem with shrimp and non cuc crabs as well. It's depressing because I don't know what I'm doing wrong. :huh:

I've been admiring your starry blenny and looked into those. I'm afraid of what my yellowtail damsel might do to a new fish though. He's fiesty and tries to pick fights with my clownfish a lot..mostly right after I feed them though. He's a punk...LOL :)

If I do get a blenny, it'd probably be the starry blenny. They get big though too. I'll wait and see. If I come across one at the LFS I may be impulsive.

I had my YTD for a month before adding the starry if that boosts your confidence :)

That does...but is yours a punk to other fish? I can't remember what else you have besides the damsel and blenny..maybe that's all you have???? I've read YTD all have their own special personalities :lol:

He was actually great until I lost the dottyback. She kept him in check. The clown and dotty kept him in the middle of the tank. After she died (was eaten), he got a lot of confidence. The clown can certainly hold it's own though.

Him and my Sixline squabble a bit. My starry holds his own very well. No one bites but he never backs down. I guess if I had to classify my YTD I'd say he's boisterous, he's more bark. He gets real moody, flashes, darkens up, but I've not seen any nips.

Him and my Sixline squabble a bit. My starry holds his own very well. No one bites but he never backs down. I guess if I had to classify my YTD I'd say he's boisterous, he's more bark. He gets real moody, flashes, darkens up, but I've not seen any nips.

Sounds like similar personalities. My clown doesn't fool around. They'll do a circle chase...kind of how cats fight in a round motion. Last about 1 second...they are FAST! My clown had some "nicks" on it but they've kind of calmed themselves down now and there are no more body marks.

Hmmm...I'm considering the starry blenny even more now.

They have so much personality, you really couldn't go wrong. Van Gogh is so much fun to watch, he comes out and just surveys what's going on, nibbles on some food, pisses off some coral by laying on it, and he always looks like he's pondering the complexities of life :lol: I'm definitely sold on them as great additions to any tank.

All the cool kids have blennies. :lol:

How are those gorgeous new mushies doing? If you ever end up with some new babies you want to trade for a Yuma beeb I think you know where I'm going with this ;)

The new mushrooms are great. I moved them more to the side since all the other mushrooms seem to migrate that way. Figured maybe I have a better chance of keeping them in one spot. I'd totally give you a polyp from that. The coloring is awesome and I'm sure they would be even better under your new LED lighting!!!!!

I wanna be a cool kid too :)

I'm going to go check out videos of starry blennies on youtube.

Love your tank!

One thing I love about the LEDs is how the corals all take on their own color. I find with the PC lamps everything has the same reddish color.

Regarding how to get the lid to the nanocube off:

When you lift the lid to your tank take a look at the brackets holding the lid on. If your hinges are like mine, the bracket holding the hinge together only covers the back side. Get the lid lifted to straight up and down then pull toward you. The whole assembly should come free from the brackets. You may have to wiggle a little.

Archived