Innovative Marine Aquariums

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

knoxvegas

Yeah I really loved my TSB. It did fine for almost a year, then started getting skinny, even though it was eating, then started eating less and less, then R.I.P. Make sure to keep giving it lots of greens in it's diet. Hopefully he/she's ok. Love the gorg.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah I really loved my TSB. It did fine for almost a year, then started getting skinny, even though it was eating, then started eating less and less, then R.I.P. Make sure to keep giving it lots of greens in it's diet. Hopefully he/she's ok. Love the gorg.

Thanks, Knox! I have one of those suction cup clips for algae. Think if I put a sheet on that into the tank the blenny will eat it? I think I have some algae flakes too. I'll try that as well. Thanks for the suggestion!!!!

The tank looks amazing, I'm looking forward to seeing it progress and mature!

Sorry for the troubles with the TSB, I hope he makes it. :flower:

The tank looks amazing, I'm looking forward to seeing it progress and mature!

Sorry for the troubles with the TSB, I hope he makes it. :flower:

Thank you! He's actually doing SOOOO much better. I started giving him the pellets and he's plumping up :D He has a ton of energy now too. I was only feeding cyclopeeze and I guess that just didn't cut it for him. It's such a great feeling when fish make a turn for the better!!!!!!

The tank is really starting to show it's maturity. I have a lot of coraline (I know I spelled that wrong) popping up everywhere. And sponges too. Lots of coral growth as well. No algae problems yet. My new change water tests at 10 nitrates when I put it in. By the end of the week (maybe even before) it's at 0 again. I know my fuge/chaeto is doing it's job!!!!! I'm not too concerned with adding "clean" water with nitrates in it (probably phosphates too) since I'm a mostly softy tank anyways.

This tank is an experiment with my new "que sera sera" attitude toward reefing. I used to be so worried about over feeding (everything really). Not anymore. I feed my tank, twice a day, everyday. So far so good. I think it's healthier than when I would only feed 3 times a week (past tanks). If things start going wrong, than I'll deal with it. For now I'm just happily chugging along, going with the flow :)

Glad the TSB is doing better. They love algae sheets, flakes, as long as they can get the food in their tiny little mouths. They are omnivores and as such they have to have quite a bit of greens, in their diets to live.

Glad the TSB is doing better. They love algae sheets, flakes, as long as they can get the food in their tiny little mouths. They are omnivores and as such they have to have quite a bit of greens, in their diets to live.

That probably explains why he's doing much better now. I checked the ingredients of the pellets and they have algae meal as well as spirulina.

Now that he's so much more active he's wandering around the tank and eating the algae off of the vortech. Too close for my comfort with the vortech. In fact, I saw his tail get sucked in a bit. So.....on with the sponge cover for the vortech again. I'm not having a repeat morning like the one with the yellow clown goby. I hate the way it looks but will sacrifice for my fish :wub:

Well, hell....apparently tomorrow's the end of the world....LOL

I took a bunch of photos out of boredom. Hopefully my boredom becomes your enjoyment. Not everything is open. I did a waterchange today so my GSP is closed. They always get exposed during the waterchange and then stay po'd for some time.

Got some blue leg hermits. One climbed to the top of my gorg, but by the time I got back with the camera he was already back down at the bottom. The gorg was po'd about that stunt so that's closed too. Oh well :)

bunches of pics....

hermit:

hermit.jpg

My biggest St. Thomas shroom that kept trying to leave? I relocated it to the side of the tank. It seems to enjoy it there. I'm hoping it climbs the rock.

bigshroom.jpg

Some Squirt action:

squirt5.jpg

squirt4.jpg

gorg4.jpg

mushrooms2.jpg

A little Petey too :D

petey.jpg

5-20-11

5-20-11.jpg

It totally sucks that tomorrow is "the end" because your tank is awesome! LOL! Truly beautiful. :wub:

heehee...what's this I'm hearing about zombies too?????? That actually sounds pretty cool, until they eat me of course :lol:

Thanks for wubbing my tank :D

Sig is tight!

Thanks, willy!!!

I don't know if you saw, or not, in your coral identification thread I mentioned that I purchased a cauliflower colt. I'm hoping it's a fuzzy colt! From the pictures it does look like it. I'm going to put it where my frogspawn now sits. I'll probably try to get a credit for the FS at my LFS. Or, I might just hang onto it for awhile...but have to find a spot for it. Real estate is very limited for me :D

I'll let you know if it looks like a fuzzy colt. I purchased it off of liveaquaria.com.

Yeah I saw. I've been waiting for an update on that! lol

I'm about to run to my LFS. As of last week or so they had one softie that looks almost like the one in the video. I'm taking my camera :P

nevermore1701

Very nice tank, I really enjoyed reading through your thread! I also have an NC12, and am just about to put my first zoas in it. I'm very much looking forward to it, and hope that some day it will look as good as yours! Still a little nervous though.

Yeah I saw. I've been waiting for an update on that! lol

I'm about to run to my LFS. As of last week or so they had one softie that looks almost like the one in the video. I'm taking my camera :P

The cauliflower colt is absolutely awesome! I LOVE it. It's still adjusting to my tank (I got it on Tues.). I'll try to get a picture of it tomorrow. Not sure if it's like the coral in the video, but I'm really think the Colt is what you are looking for. In my "Corals" book they refer to the Colt as a finger leather as well. It's definitely a cool coral to add to a reef tank.

In other news...my GSP is spawning again. I already see new polyps popping up from the last spawn...yikes! Eh....I don't care. I want this tank to be an overgrown reef..so, bring it on :)

Very nice tank, I really enjoyed reading through your thread! I also have an NC12, and am just about to put my first zoas in it. I'm very much looking forward to it, and hope that some day it will look as good as yours! Still a little nervous though.

Thanks nevermore!!!!! I'll check out your thread. Probably not until tomorrow though....I'm running on fumes right now. It's been a very long day. I'm looking forward to watching another NC12 mature :D

wow, this looks like one very expensive 12g reef.

Well.....softies are generally "cheaper" corals but it does all add up, no matter how you look at it. This definitely isn't a cheap hobby :)

wow looks great!

Thanks, kid!!!!

The colt is still acclimating and not fully inflated yet. I'm going to wait until later in the day to snap a photo...maybe it will be more perky then :)

I went ahead and just snapped the picture now. No change in perkiness yet. Just have to sit back and wait. It's located where my frogspawn used to be, on the right side of the tank (looking at it). It's the dark purple coral.

5-26-11.jpg

colt1.jpg

nevermore1701

How exactly do you have your MP10 mounted? It looks like its below the surface skimmer, right next to the wall, but it's kind of hard to tell. I just got a Koralia Nano 240 and am trying to figure out where to put it without interfering with stuff going into the overflow.

Nevermind, going through the thread again I found a better pic of where it's at :P

How exactly do you have your MP10 mounted? It looks like its below the surface skimmer, right next to the wall, but it's kind of hard to tell. I just got a Koralia Nano 240 and am trying to figure out where to put it without interfering with stuff going into the overflow.

Nevermind, going through the thread again I found a better pic of where it's at :P

I used to have it under the surface skimmer but since moved it to the front...same side of the tank though.

Well, my new colt coral never got any better. Still deflated and today starting to disintegrate :eek: Live Aquaria refunded me in full including shipping (what a company!!!!!). I was going to try another but after some research online, it seems to be a finicky shipper. I've even read that after several months of looking great it dies off. No, thank you! I've moved my devil's hand to where the colt was. It has more room to grow there. The left side looks a bit bare to me now but I have an umbrella leather back there that is small right now. It's been growing a lot lately so maybe before long it will fill in that space nicely. Unless I find a nice looking leather locally, that side will just be open until the umbrella leather grows in.

So....a bummer on the colt. I really LOVED the color.

Had to go to the pet store last night (petco) to get some dog toys. Checked out the frag tank they have and lo and behold they had a nice looking kenya tree coral. I couldn't resist. It's a perfect addition to my reef. It will fill in the space nicely. I know, I know....but I WANT it to grow crazy in my tank :lol::rolleyes:

5-29-11

5-29-11.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The tank is exactly 4 months old today, so wanted to document that with a photo. Not much else new here. I have decided to run this without any carbon. So far so good. A little more algae growth, but that's ok. I have lots of critters to eat it.

I really love the kenya tree addition. It is doing well. I have a colony of pink zoanthids that hasn't been opening fully the last few days. Not sure what's up with that. They are definitely annoyed about something. I'll just keep observing to see if I see what the cause may be.

My urchins are constantly picking up snails to camouflage themselves with. I gave up trying to save snails long ago. They tend to fall off by themselves with no ill effects.

Pretty much everything is good (knock on wood) :)

6-8-11

6-8-11.jpg

gorg6-8-11.jpg

squirrelieygrrrl

wow gena!!!

aweshum! what progress, im impressed. im lovin all the new additions since i last checked in on your tank. that gorg is way cool, nps? also whats the fuzzy thing down on the sand by the stb shroom?

wow gena!!!

aweshum! what progress, im impressed. im lovin all the new additions since i last checked in on your tank. that gorg is way cool, nps? also whats the fuzzy thing down on the sand by the stb shroom?

Thanks squirrel! I've been admiring your beautiful tank!!!! It looks incredible!!!!

Do you mean the white urchin by the st. thomas shrooms?

edit: it's a photosynthetic gorg.

Archived