Pod Your Reef

NC12: diary of an L.A. tank

gena

The tank looks beautful gena! Congrats on the upgrade to LED! How do you like them so far?

Thanks hype! I'm really happy with them so far. The color is sure a lot different. Not as "warm" as with the pc's but I love the colors I'm getting out of everything now. My family thinks it doesn't look natural anymore...what do they know :lol:

I've only been running 6 hour days this past week to fight algae and acclimate the corals to the light. It's so sad when the lights go out at 2:30. I don't enjoy a dark tank :) Thanks for letting me know what you think!!!!!

I see she's a mountain goat too! :) mines a climber but then she gets scared an has to be helped down :lol:

Totally! She has definitely mastered that chair :lol: It's funny, the predicaments they can get themselves into.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seeing as it's Halloween weekend and all...thought I'd add some SCARY to this tank thread :)

1976, me (the witch) and my brother (Snoopy). I think I was this character more than one year because this is the only thing I remember ever being as a kid :lol:

witch.jpg

More modern, but not recent. My catwoman days :)

catwoman.jpg

I'm not dressing up this year so this is my contribution to the holiday. Halloween has always been one of my favorite holidays!

And to get back on topic. While I was loading pictures I was looking at old photos from the tank I had before this one. I thought this one looked so pretty with all those ricordeas.

DSC01725.jpg

And finally....I'm absolutely amazed how WELL my NC12 is doing with the new LEDs. It was well worth the cost to upgrade the lighting. I'm getting amazing growth out of many things.

Thank you, FlCandy!!! Dressing up as a cat or a witch are my two standbys. Easy in a pinch :)

Last year I was a scarecrow but I can't find my pictures from that!!!! I keep wanting to dress up as Marilyn Monroe..but finding a white dress has proven difficult. I may have to break down and buy a ready made Marilyn costume even though I prefer piecing my costumes together :)

A girl in my office dressed like cat woman except she came in like a full on latex fetish costume of sorts. I like your version better!

I'm Dexter (the serial killer if you don't watch that show) this year :) I found out what he wears when he kills people and bought the shirt, I felt like there was a line that was easily crossed when dressing like a serial killer ya know? I didn't get the pants or the gloves :lol:

I like that show, fifth season was a bust but I've heard the new season is going back to the dark roots B) I don't get show time but I have other ways of getting the show... :D

I'm addicted to Bones! And the new season starts this week! omgomgomg

She and David Boreanis (however it's spelled Angel from Buffy) finally got it on and she got preggers! So this season is all her and him together and her fat! LOVE IT!

Have to Down Load Dexter and watch the newer seasons, Missed a few there....

Love the news lights gena looks great.

I am a thrift store junkie!!!!! I'm there every week. We love vintage at our house so I'm always looking for treasures :)

I have never seen a Marilyn dress at the thrifts. I think they must be a hot commodity :)

Joel...Dexter is an awesome idea!!!!! Post some pics ;) Oh..do you dress Molly? I never dress my dogs or cats up. I've tried in the past and they HATE it :lol:

I will when I get a picture lol. They took some at work but they have a POS camera lol.

And yeah we dress her up sometimes (not my idea) and the problem is she likes it too much. She just prances around in this little princess dress and shows up to everybody who will look at her :lol: she's such a ham! If she gets dressed up I'll snap a picture for you to laugh at.

I will when I get a picture lol. They took some at work but they have a POS camera lol.

And yeah we dress her up sometimes (not my idea) and the problem is she likes it too much. She just prances around in this little princess dress and shows up to everybody who will look at her :lol: she's such a ham! If she gets dressed up I'll snap a picture for you to laugh at.

Your bichon sounds way cooler than mine :lol:

She's not comfortable dressed up and she is afraid of strangers :wacko:

Definitely get photos!

I'm thinking of making a change in my tank. The front right corner has a larger sized zoa rock with my gorgonia stuck in it. I'm thinking of removing this and the St. Thomas mushroom next to it. This will leave me a pretty big space to get an awesome open brain coral. Thoughts? The only downside to this is I'd probably have to start dosing. But maybe not since I'm doing twice a week waterchanges. Hmmmm. I'd just move the gorgonia to a different spot and maybe break the big rock up to save some small pieces of the coral on it. I think the only thing that would be severely disappointed with this move would be one of my brittle stars. He lives under that rock!

Even if I don't do the brain coral it would be kind of nice to have some open space on the sandbed. I've seen some gorgeous open brains though that I'd love to have.

+1 on any kind of LPS in that spot. Acans could be cool too :)

What's the difference between BC and NC?

Not much :)

The nanocube isn't as tall as the biocube. I like the looks of the NC better. Otherwise...they are basically the same thing besides water volume. Mines a 12 gallon and the comparable BC would be 14 gallons.

There's no hardware differences? :huh: that's silly and overly confusing :lol:

I don't think so. Well, I guess the pumps would be different brands. My intake is on the left side (looking at the tank) and the BC is on the right side. I've had a BC in the past and I think the NC is better quality. They are both nice though.

Hey gena love the pics (such a pretty lady)

I think the open space would be great for a brain or a garden of rics( which i think would complement your color palette nicely)

Hey gena love the pics (such a pretty lady)

I think the open space would be great for a brain or a garden of rics( which i think would complement your color palette nicely)

I think I'm going for the open brain. With the amount of flow I have in the tank I have the worst time trying to keep my mushrooms where I want them. They keep bailing on me. As much as I love rics, I love the look of a big open brain more :)

You should get some acans to go there. A brain would be cool too, but I hear they get rather large. My acan is awesome and is always growing new heads.

Acans are awesome too. But there's something so impressive to me about a big open brain in a reef tank. I love the way they look so, so very much!

Happy Halloween!!!

nrhalloween3.jpg

I included this one because it's fish related. Can you spot the "on-topic"? :lol:

nrhalloween.jpg

Nice punkin' and nice coral magazine lol.

Thanks Patrick! The trick-or-treaters are upon us now. I'm bouncing between making dinner, handing out candy, and checking out N-R :)

Oh...and love that mag! :lol:

I think I'm going for the open brain. With the amount of flow I have in the tank I have the worst time trying to keep my mushrooms where I want them. They keep bailing on me. As much as I love rics, I love the look of a big open brain more :)

So what kind of brain were you thinking color wise?

I already found the one I want :)

It's listed as a red wellsophyllia. It's more a pink with the glowing green in the middle and along the edges. I'm waiting for my invoice to add it on to my existing order with philyouraquarium :)

Archived