Pod Your Reef

pics of my 25 gal

corey0613

Hey Corey, You have a fantastic setup and I read that you would never go about a tank without a protein skimmer. I was wondering what was the problem. Ive been reading how it is also good to go with natural filtration using just live rock (which is what im going to do with my 10 gallon) and was also wondering what was your take on natural filtration. I just plan to keep 2 false percs and some corals. Im going to be keepin the tank under a 96watt power compact lighting system. What kinds of corals would you recommend for that? Thanks for your time!

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With 96 watts you can easily have any type of mushroom, polyp, and leather. And truthfully much beyond that is really not needed to give your tank color. There are a few other types of coral that youcould possibly keep like LPS....Frogspwan, hammer coral, candy cane coral.

e17jo1-

after adding my protein skimmer my tank has been ten times cleaner and my corals much healthier, that is why i wouldnt set up a tank without one. i used live rock / natural filtration and all it does is use nitrifing bactieria to CONVERT the wastes to a safer form. a protien skimmer will actually REMOVE wastes. that is the basic difference. id rather not have the stuff in my water.

under 96 watts you could have what ever you wanted besides SPS (pretty much) that is what i ran for a long time. but i just added a 250W HQI 20,000K light to my tank and i will tell you that the colors and clarity are unbelieveable. i wouldnt even waste my time with PC's. i had been told that before and didnt believe it but trust me my tank looks 100 times better i can barely stop staring @ it. and really i only spent 100 more dollars for the MH than the PC's. just a word of advice.

theclearblue

Maybe its just me, but one of the things that stood out about your tank was how bright your live rock is. Really beautiful, those purples are awesome.

Hey Corey, great info. Thanks a lot I appreciate the response. Im actually now thinking of putting a Aqua C Remora Back Pack Skimmer on my tank now and maybe in conjunction with a MH Lighting system.

This would be my old setup idea:

10 Gallon Tank

50 Watt Ebo Jager Heater

Rio 600 Powerhead

10Lbs LR

20Lbs LS

96 Watt CP Lighting

The only thing im going to change is putting an "AquaC Remora PRO HOT Skimmer w/pump" (208.95 on premiumaquatics.com...if you know a cheaper place please let me know) and putting a Metal Halide system on my tank. ***If you can tell where I can find a Metal Halide System for my standard 10 gallon tank I would appreciate it because the only thing I found was a 24" long hood and that's a little too big for my 10 Gallon. Thanks!

If its too much then Im just going to stick with the 96 Watt CPF because its just for 2 False Percs and a couple of corals...Nothing TOO fancy. Its just for my girlfriends room!

Hi there i would like to comment on your 25gal it is stunning, (wow) i have a 56 gal only just finished its cycle and i am not from any where near you guys but have been browsing and must say i am stunned.:)

e17jo1--

if you really think that the tank is going to be in your g/f's room and you arent planning anything serious i would just stay with the PC's the MH will be a little more pricey. im not sure exactly where to get them but hopefully someone will chime in as many people around here use a 70W MH system that doesnt cost a whole lot and would work great for you. just remember that all i wanted to do with my tank was have 2 clownfish and some live rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!LOL!!!!!!!!!!!! now look @ it.

as far as the skimmer goes i use the aqua-c remora. i believe that the remora pro is for anything over 75 gals and you might overskim your tank. it is possible. i got mine @ www.marinedepot.com and i am not sure what the going rate is on them. i also bought the overflow box and use the MJ 1200 pump as it is much quieter that the RIO. you can see in the tank pics that the overflow really gives a much "cleaner" look as no pumps are exposed.

ReeferMonkey

Look for a thread by LampDR in the classifieds. He sells complete 70w MH set ups with Aromat ballasts and Ushio 10k bulbs.

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by sandsrfr

Nope, never use best buy and circuit city as a comparison.  Unless you like to pay retail or above.  the sony dsc-v1 is in the $400 dollar range nowadays as seen here:

http://www.butterflyphoto.com/viewitem.php...hp?IndexID=2751  (NEW)

Thats the problem with electronics, $1000 one day 5 bucks the next.

FYI, always use an online search like cnet/shopping for an accurate price for products online.  You'll see the huge price break you get buying from an 'online' retailer vs. a B&M.

NICE tank btw!!!!

Sands

Quick word to all off you B&H Camera is usualy the best... New York City in the photo industry is considerd the photography capitol of the world and the bigest store here is B&H and has been around forever and since they keep such a high stock they can really do good on prices.. The kicker is they are authorized from many dealers such as canon, sony and so on to offer aditional warranties on cameras and what not...

www.bhphoto.com I would check them out and go to them first before any where else... i would not know about their shipping as i live near by but its all ways a steal at this place...

[ EDIT ]

You will notice that at times they have the "Email me better price" or "give me better price" they do this to prevest thoes webcrawler bots from listing and matching prices

I agree the images definatly have been enhanced but it is still an amazing stock of beautiful corals and excellent aquascaping.

huachinango

Those colors are so enhanced it's making my monitor glow. he he jk Tank looks good, lets keep it real though.

31452.jpg

stingray-- im not sure i get the humor? are you implying that i totally enhanced my images or what? to me you humor is #### poor and you look like a jack a** messing with the images that i have posted to show my tank. look @ the full tank pics on page 3 or 4. if the images were enhanced why do the powerheads and overflows look normal. the difference in the pics is the fact that the corals are "top shelf" for their species and most were pretty pricey. i also have a better than average camera.

i would appreciate it if you keep your childish games to yourself.

im sorry i figured it out. your 12. i wont stoop to your level.

go ahead and post some pics of your tank. actually i can tell you what it looks like. it has all corals from the LFS mainly brown leathers, some nasty brown zoos and some regular old GSP. and you cant possibly believe how some corals could look so good when yours look so bad. i run into your type all the time @ the reef store here. when i bring the hard copies of my photos in there is always some dirty dude who just got done doing construction or changing oil all day who keeps a poor excuse for a reef @ home and just cant believe that these pics could be real. so i say come on over and check it out and the idiot stares at the tank drooling for about 5 min and asks...............do you do aquarium maintenance. i want my tank to look like this.

i will edit some of the pics and repost them just to show you how it can be done.

hahahaha...too funny....

i think you described stingray to a tee....im sure you actually gave him more credit than he deserves...he is probably a 12 year old kid that found a "reef" site and decided to sign up. I'm surprised he even knows how to post an image in a thread...wow you must be a "professional" photographer, or a whiz with photoshop, congrats buddy. Do you realize your taking time of of your day to post a screen shot of a photoshop window?

I think you should spend your time more productively, like going back to your jacking off...

here are some of the same pics with enhancement. this is how you do it young buck....BTW thanks for ruining what had been a pretty cool thread.

ignorance is bliss, to those uneducated!!!!!

Archived