Pod Your Reef

pics of my 25 gal

corey0613

purple/red blasto update. if you look @ the original pics you can tell this guy is quite a bit smaller. about 3-4 of the larger heads died and i could never find the cause. he is making a great comeback, there are 5-6 smaller new heads growing and the color has come back great.

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by corey0613

despot--- please, just quit running your mouth.  there is no other way to say it.  no one cares what you are saying.  you claim to have a digital camera, and know all about the settings, yet you have no shots of your tank.  please this thread was better off without you.  

when you are running MH's and have some pics of your tank, then maybe we will listen to your pointless rhetoric.  

Ouch I havnt been scolded like that since I was in grade school. Why is it when anyone questions you about your pics being edited you lash out and attack them?

I will post pics later tonight if I find time. Did I not already say that? I didn't mean to run my mouth, sorry my bad.

the arguement had been made months ago.....and you decide to chime in in June. you tell me how well you know camera setting and MH lights, etc but you have no pics to prove yourself with. im not lashing out @ you, im just saying that you just need to drop the subject as others have already tried to get through to you.

i wouldnt have lashed out months ago @ all if the comments that were made were educated. if you see a 20K in person, you will be even more shocked because they are far less blue in person than what the camera makes them look like. if you would have had some experience on the topic you wouldnt have even asked the question in the first place. that is my point!!

Dude relax...obviously your camera pics up alot more blue then others or something. It could just be the angles you are taking the pics at or getting use to the camera because some of the later pics look much better than the earlier ones. I'll stop now, I didn't mean to ruin your thread.

red/green blasto... this thing is just waking up this pic, but since the addition of halides, he has grown 5-10 very small new heads that are coming along nicely. due to the overwhelming amount of requests to frag it, i am thinking aobut getting brave, but im not sure yet!!

taken under PC's

for the last time, its called white/balance and +and- exposure values. but im sure you already knew that. that is what controls the light, dark, blue, greens, reds.

what brand and model of camera do you have???? how many MP's??

alot of the later pcis are taken with the MH on but the PC's covering it and they are on also. did you read that and take it into consideration??

clsoe up of the xenias. i am one of those who loves them, most see them as a weed. not alot of blue in this pic, cuz i upped the exposure to -0.3.

taken under PC lighing.

Its a sony, and I have mh on my tank.

Mp's will affect picture detail and sharpness the most. It should not wildly affect color.

a sony what???????? what type of MH setup do you have going?? ballast?bulb?

MP's greatly effect color... i can show you pics with old 3.2 if youd like.

I thought we were talking about your tank and your pics? Its a couple years old now a dsc-p30. The lighting is 250watt mh at 6500k and 150watts of uri actinic. (I'm a fan of the more natural look.)

Some older pics would be nice.

what type of ballast, and bulb? 20K looks pretty natural in person. if you have dove down in the carribean, it looks alot like being under water down there.

Bulb is 6500k Iwasaki on an Advanced ballast.

IMO 20k makes most coral look too fluorescent. Not that fluorescent corals aren't cool. It just reaches a point where it looks unnatural to me.

I'm not trying to take anything away from your tank. It looks amazing either way.

ahhhh.......1.3 MP's. i wont comment. i will just say that cameras have come along way since then. a digital camera must be above 3.2 to get pics to look any better than a disposable film camera.

when you see the pics that the new cameras with 8.0 Mp's take you are really gonna argue!

More megapixes will not change the color of your corals. I'm trying to say your corals look unnatural in some photo's. I good camera doesnt make that happen. It should make the opposite happen.

Yes I keep some sps's. Not much selection in ND.

i will show you. i will take some pics of the tank in 1.2, 3.1, 4.5, and 5.0 MP's. all with my camera. it allows you to take pics in various megapixels. i will show you the difference in coloration. and you will have learned yet another new thing about the digital age of photography!!!!

Ok corey please teach me. Why does the color of some corals in this thread changes even tho you were using the same camera?

oh my gosh you are really, really, really, dense. it is because of the topic you all ready know about...........white balance and +/- exposure. i openly mainpulate these settings on my camera, with each shot, sometimes i will leave it the same. sometimes i manually set the white balance by hanging a blank piece of white paper over the tank with the lights on and set the balance (thanks mtndewman on reefland.com). other times i go to the 5 different pre-sets that come on my camera. most often the one for flourescent lighting. and then i adjust the exposure accordingly. usually @ -2.0 to -1.0 but sometimes i will put it @ -0.3 or DEV. occasionally +0.3 to +1.0 if i am shooting under a rock or cavern or something. it just depends. i also have a 250w MH, 2x65 W PC's (10K and Actinic), 1x65 W actinic and a 2x15 watt NO fixture that i mix and match and rotate freely when taking pics.

will someone please chime in and try to explain these concepts to this guy. i have tried but it just aint gettin' through.

side shot of the orange cap with the tips of the torts showing over. i love how the cap is starting to grow up instead of out.

fastredponycar

Wow. I'm just mezmerized. Whitten came over to my apt a few months ago and showed me this forum and I was just blown away. It doesn't even look real and I couldn't see any of teh rock!!

I've seen the stuff at logicalreef and Definatley plan on buying some stuff from them.

It's a pity that the jealous people had to try and crap on your parade.

Our LFS has very nice lighting setups and pretty decent livestock selection and their stuff looks just like yours. The right lighting and coral types will produce that eerie luminescence that you just can't help but stare at almost in disbelief. In fact, in the few pics that I've taken of my tank, the color of the powerheads match up EXACTLY with yours and anyone who sees those pics can tell they haven't been doctored up in any way because they suck (cause my tank sucks).

I'm also fairly savvy with cameras and based on nearly a year of using my 5mp Canon S50, can greatly attest to how drastic the camera's whitebalance, exposure and shutter speed affect a picture. I could tell that in the pic (most noticably) the one showing a full shot of the behind the scenes closet, you used a longer shutter speed to capture all of the ambient light instead of having to use a flash. I can see how this leads to incredible pictures that you've posted. Quick shutter speeds that most people use aren't open long enough to really capture all of the color that the light is producing. For all of you who have cameras capable of setting the shutter speed, go take a few pics with different shutter speeds and see what I mean (and don't forget the tripod :D)

I also use paintshop pro at work and can see how those who aren't expereinced with aquarium photography can easily use photo editing software as a scapegoat. Why not just post a pic of the whole room with the tank so they can see the rest of the colors in the room and use them as a point of refrence (like the coke can idea). Hopefully that'll shut em up.

And just because I'm bored and have paintshop open already, THIS is what an enhanced photo of that tank looks like (Hope you don't mind corey)

newnano.jpg

Originally posted by corey0613

oh my gosh you are really, really, really, dense.  it is because of the topic you all ready know about...........

will someone please chime in and try to explain these concepts to this guy.  i have tried but it just aint gettin' through.

Whats up with the personal attack man? I understand camera setting and understand what you're trying to say. I really didn't mean to piss you off. If you want I can get some pics of my tank shortly. Maybe I'll post in another thread.

Archived