Coral Vue Hydros

pics of my 25 gal

corey0613

-----------------------------------------------------------

That line represents the end of photo discussions, besides it's a purely subjective matter.

Hence forth, when is it a good time to add a clean up crew to my tank. I set it up like 24hrs ago & I have the itch already. I might throw in a blue damsel by the end of the week. What if I add el cheapo coral, will it die? In theory if I add el cheapo coral & see that it's not doing well & then take it out to put in a clean 2gal tank with clean water that I change every 2/3 days, is that ok? Won't the 2gal tank act as a quarantine tank?

• Replies 327
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ahhh.......patients is a virtue. do the animals a favor and try real hard to wait until your tank cycles. in all likely hood the damsel will die, along with the corals. adding a damsel wont make your tank cycle any faster. put a little brine in there every other day or so and that will help your tank cycle quicker.

silver spurs--- i have pics of my other tanks that i will post later!!!

I will have BIG heat issues. Now my tank reads a steady 84 & that is without the Tek T5 lights. What to do?

Move it somewhere air conditioned?

Really, i dunno....even an icepobe chiller would have trouble keeping a tank THAT hot without lights, cool.

~

Nope, no fans.

Left the AC on all night, it dropped to 81.

But damn, it reached 86+...I think it's that 802 powerhead, I bet it raises the temp at least 2-4 deg.

I might have to replace with 2 smaller maxi jets? Might look into a chiller, what is a good temp to keep, I see most of people keep it around 80. If I get a chiller I am inclined to keep at 78.

FOREGIVE ME REEFERS FOR I HAVE SINNED...............

http://www.pbase.com/image/30510784

SilverSpurs

Get a couple PC fans and have them blow on/across the water... you'll be surprised at how it cools the water... but keep an eye on the water level, fans cause more evaporation.

Silver

That's the thing, I thought of that, but I don't have a way to mount them. I don't have a canopy. Just lights & the plastic hood over them. Nothing really to mount them to. Would be nice if they sold clip one's, so you can clip on the peripheral of your tank & then swivel them vertically.

You may be right about that 802 powerhead. I had the same overheating experience with a crapy PH. I think small maxi jets will help you alot.

Kadir

o wow, read the whole thing tonight, my brain is like over worked with the nice pics, and the interesting uh...conversations.

corey i think i like your fish better than the corals :P haha

-Chester

Okay this is day 5 for my tank, I finally got my Tek T5 lights today, damn that thing is bright! I think I liked it better with my 12w lights! Now I see all the imperfections in the tank!!!!!

DAY= 5

SG= 1.022

PH= 7.8

Alkalinity= Normal

Ammonia= 0

Nitrate= 2.5

Nitrite= 0.5

What should I be doing? What happened to the ammonia, it all got converted? Is my cycle fast & over, or just the beginning?

Gotta bring up my SG up a notch, bring up ph. What do you recommend to bring up the ph?

I will do a water change tomorrow to bring down NO2/NO3 & balance off ph.

Whenever you use well cured live rock it doesnt cause a big ammonia spike. It may be the reason for why you have little amount of nitrite and nitrate. many hobyists use raw shrimp to increase ammonia level and wait untill all the parameters go down to zero.

Kadir

Originally posted by fastuno

Okay this is day 5 for my tank, I finally got my Tek T5 lights today, damn that thing is bright!  I think I liked it better with my 12w lights!  Now I see all the imperfections in the tank!!!!!

DAY= 5      

SG= 1.022

PH= 7.8      

Alkalinity= Normal

Ammonia= 0

Nitrate= 2.5

Nitrite= 0.5

What should I be doing?  What happened to the ammonia, it all got converted?  Is my cycle fast & over, or just the beginning?

Gotta bring up my SG up a notch, bring up ph.  What do you recommend to bring up the ph?

I will do a water change tomorrow to bring down NO2/NO3 & balance off ph.

Don't do a water change. Let the water run for a few weeks and before u want to introduce any corals into your tank, do a 10% water change.

Corey, you still here? Sorry to make these posts, need your help, you were the final inspiration for me setting up this tank. I am just having trouble & more trouble.

1) Got AquaC Remore skimmer HOB type & that sucker makes bubbles galore. My tank is a bubble factory.

2) Tried to place a bulk head so I can use as a HOB type refuge & the damn thing is leaking. I have placed this tub behind the tank & let overflow drop from tub to overflow down to tank. I will try to use some silicone to fix, but curing time is 24hrs.

fastuno-- sorry for the lack of responses. for some reason it isnt alerting my email anymore when there is a post on this thread.

i agree with kadaytar and szesteve on your above issues.

as for as the remora goes, there is a "breakin" period in which there will be alot of microbubbles and no skimmate. it is normal. should pass in anywhere from a couple of days to a week or two. did you buy the overflow box. i have it and it really traps all the bubbles before they hit the tank.

truthfully i dont know much about the bulkheads and such. i would try the silicon.

im gonna be adding a 10 gal sump/fuge in the next week or so, should be interesting, and of course there will be pics.

Originally posted by fastuno

Corey, you still here?  Sorry to make these posts, need your help, you were the final inspiration for me setting up this tank.  I am just having trouble & more trouble.

1) Got AquaC Remore skimmer HOB type & that sucker makes bubbles galore.  My tank is a bubble factory.

2) Tried to place a bulk head so I can use as a HOB type refuge & the damn thing is leaking.  I have placed this tub behind the tank & let overflow drop from tub to overflow down to tank.  I will try to use some silicone to fix, but curing time is 24hrs.

If you have a true bulkhead (not some regular PVC fittings) make sure the gasket is in the correct place. If you think of the bulkhead like it was a bolt,the gasket needs to be between the head of the "bolt" and the container. NOT between the nut and the container.

The ACRS comes with it's own overflow that flows right into the tank. No additional flow box, didnt know they made one & I dont even know if i would get something else that would make my tank look too crowded at the back end. You are right, now it isnt skimming squat!

The bulkhead that I have is from a LFS, some plastic see through head. I tried both ways, at first the gasket out of tank, then in the tank. I see now that it belongs in the tank. The problem is that I bought one of those tupperware tubs (Sterilite Craft n Carry) & its's only about 1/16" thick. The tub bends slightly & I see a displacement at the bottom of the bulkhead. Maybe you guys can recommend a better tub or an acrylic small tank. It cant be more than 15" wide (back of main tank space allowable) & 2 ft Length.

Here are some pics so you get an idea.

http://www.pbase.com/image/30638627

http://www.pbase.com/image/30638629

http://www.pbase.com/image/30638631

Now I am thinking of getting another tank, maybe a 20g high, or a aqua via 18 & having pros bulkhead that & using that as a refugium, but one as a main display tank, with possible even fish in there. Where do you get those aqua vias, so hard to find man!

corey,

Just wanted to let you know that your tank is a real inspiration to me. I just upgraded my 10 gallon to a 20 gallon. I sure hope that it will turn out like yours and i've also decided to pick corals that complement each other in color from now on.

Here's a link to my tank setup. My corals from the 10 gallon are at a friend's place. Also, I would have liked to get the remora but they don't have it here but the prizm works great too!

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...e=&pagenumber=2

szesteve--- i was actually checking your thread out the other day. looks like you have a good start. i personally would like to see a little more LR, but thats just my preference. i really like your lighting setup, and agree that the MH shimmer is just awesome.

fastuno-- i got my overflow box for the remora @ www.marinedepot.com , it actually fits over ALL the equipment for the skimmer and gives the tank a nice clean look. i got my aqua via HOB fuge from the LFS (ugggh!) but im pretty sure i have seen them @ marinedepot.com also.

if you have never ordered from them they are very nice to work with and you can call with questions before you order. their standard shipping times are a little slow, but other than that they are great.

Originally posted by corey0613

szesteve--- i was actually checking your thread out the other day.  looks like you have a good start.  i personally would like to see a little more LR, but thats just my preference.  i really like your lighting setup, and agree that the MH shimmer is just awesome.  

Thank you corey!

Yeah, I probably may add in more LR later but whenever i go on a LR shopping spree, i end up with more than i had planned, so that's never good. LOL!

My wife always has to slow me down and get me to do more planning. I guess i'll probably be keeping the amount of LR I have now and add more as I add corals.

Cheers!

bass arises from the dead, with a mouth full of talk, and of course none of his/her tank pics.

"most real aquarium designers" , who is claming to be "real aquarium designer. i have posted time and again that this is my HOBBY, and for the record, I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL REAL AQUARIUM DESIGNER. sorry to disappoint you. i have never even met someone with such a title.

the SEPIA (not black and white, but im sure you knew that.) pics were to have fun . sorry if they personally offended you.

now its the reflections in the pics that make them fake. make up your mind. LOL, LOL, LOL. again, thanks for your time and please continue to enjoy the pics.

Come on Corey, we need some more positive reinforcement. Need to see more pictures of your tank. Due another full tank shot. Have things grown since the last shot?

Cant wait for mine to look even a fraction of yours!

Here is my new sebae.....

http://www.pbase.com/image/30646790

ya, i wouldn't mind seeing an updated photo of your marine masterpeice....

don't let morons like bassass ruin a good tank thread...keep the goods comin...

Archived